It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2006, 08:58 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

cortney09 HB User
Exclamation Can't control myself...

I am a 25 year old female with Bi-Polar.. I usually don't know when I get angry, or even feel it, but I go off at my husband and people around me really bad.. I get extremely angry and hateful and usually don't realise I am doing it..

Anyone else have the same problem, and know any tips to better manage it??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2006, 01:42 AM   #2
(female)

crazywoman77 HB User
Re: Can't control myself...

hi courtney, I have the same problem totally that is the one part that my hubby really does hate. I find that when I am getting like that as u say u dont feel it coming but my hubby he sees it and says white fluffy clouds lol sounds silly i know but it is like a code word when this is said i know whats happening and can then take deep breaths walk away from whatever or whoever is going to get the brunt and sit on the bed go to the bathroom or go outside for 5 it doesnt take all the anger away but it helps difuse a situation which could become volotile i hope that helps you take care and best wishes debx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2006, 02:19 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

jgr01 HB User

hi there,

yes I have this aswell. Complete and utter RAGE that comes from absolutely nowhere. I have smashed things and roared so much that my voice hurts for days (never hit my kids or husband though although I guess they would be scared). I think your meds aren't right. I do now count to ten and go in the garden to roar, but then I'm on more meds now and the anger has been away for a month - which is good - a used to be an almost daily event.

Good luck

Old 11-09-2006, 07:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

coffeegirl2 HB User

I have this problem sometimes. It is really upsetting because I start yelling and do not realize that I am doing it. Sometimes it is due to my hearing problem- because I don't have my hearing aides in and I can't hear myself- so I talk louder, and then louder, and then louder to a yell.... but then I get mad. If someone irritates me, I just snap sometimes, especially if I'm cycling. And, usually I don't realize I do it- it has to be pointed out to me that I've done it. My DH and mom have explained this to me many times- 'Are you aware you do this?' Hmm... It is very embarrassing, and I hate it, and try to control it, but don't seem to 'get it'.

Coffeegirl

Old 11-09-2006, 07:35 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

cortney09 HB User
Angry Re: Can't control myself...

Thank you for the great ideas. I know next time I have some things to try that could help. I am hoping to try some new meds next time I go to the doctor. I hope that I can try some new meds that will help control the feelings of anger better.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:11 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

twoeyez HB Usertwoeyez HB User

Perhaps, anger is "feelings" that just wants to be expressed. We,sometimes, find ourselves in a situation the we may "feel" that we are not given that "fair" chance to express ourselves. So we choose to "fly off "the handle in a angry tone. Not a good thing to do ! But we may think it gets our "point" across. It does not !

Solution : Try to hold a responce to what makes you angry. Not easy,however, if you don't respond and give yourself the chance to catch your breath,you will find yourself in control of your anger. Sometimes, we may not have our spouse around to give us a clue that are tone is going off the wall. Remember : "no responce is the best responce". Take the time to develope it. Oh, btw, I'm 64 and still working on it. But with time, I have improved !

Coffeegirl, I love my "sounds of silence" in the morning without my hearing aids. However, I have trained myself to put them in when ever any person, appears,so I don't put myself in a bad situation.

Good Luck

Eyes

Last edited by twoeyez; 11-09-2006 at 09:21 AM.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:22 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

coffeegirl2 HB User

Eyes

Thanks for the helpful hint. Now I just have to remember it. That is the hardest time of day for me. Early morning. One child is mostly out of control, I forget to put the aides in due to caring for him- and presto- disaster. So, I will start taking care of that first. It will help measures go easier.

Coffeegirl

Old 11-09-2006, 09:49 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User

I'm sorry that you are going through this! I get like that too now. I just feel like I need to explode or scream or something? I internalize it a lot though, which isn't good either I guess? I wish I had some good advice for you but I don't. Just know that you aren't alone.

Oh, and definitely mention this to your pdoc because a new med may help. Or if you are in therapy maybe some new coping techniques too? Take care!!!

Old 11-12-2006, 11:32 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

cortney09 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Can't control myself...

Thanks everybody for the helpful advice. Hopefully my anger problems will get better with time. Although, I know that it will never go away. I should try to stay silent and let myself calm down before getting angry. I hope that new medicine would help. I will be going to the doctor soon. I think that I do need to change meds. I felt a couple of months ago that my meds stopped working.

Old 11-13-2006, 06:21 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

tsohl HB User

I think this must be a fairly common problem. My 25-year old son was experiencing more and more periods of rage, to the point that it scared him and he realized that it was becoming uncontrollable. He was put on some different meds, and he also learned some coping skills and the problem has really gone away. I think the meds are a big part of his success in being able to oversome these outbursts.

In his case he found an AA group that was primarily younger people; many of them were bipolar. It was here that he learned the coping skills that he uses to this day.

Old 11-13-2006, 07:40 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

fusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB User

I just came on the boards today to ask if I was Bipolar because I deal with this nasty angry mood stuff.........it just comes on in a flash but can stay for DAYS!! I am made and mean to everyone...I am currently on a small dose of Zoloft..........can't handle more plus .5 x3 daily of Klonopin.........what meds are used to help with this rage?? Does it mean I am bi-polar? I deal with anxiety mostly and once in a while depression

THANK YOU!

Old 11-13-2006, 05:34 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

cortney09 HB User
Arrow Re: Can't control myself...

I know that it will get better once I change my meds, but I just hate the waiting game. I can't really go to AA because I don't have a problem with drinking. I just have a bad problem with anger. I just know when the anger comes on, well most of the time anyway.

Old 11-13-2006, 09:41 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

leasarenay HB User

What are you taking to stop the anger for a month?
Leasa

Old 11-14-2006, 06:05 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

fusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB User

I am so curious to as to what people on this board find helpful for the anger/agitation/rage that we get........

THANKS!

Old 11-14-2006, 04:55 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

coffeegirl2 HB User

I do lots of journaling and exercise. That helps me. If I am not able to get my daily exercise in I become lethargic which later leads to anger and frustration. Yucky! Can any of you relate? Exercise helps me release a lot of the tension that has built up and anxiety.

Coffeegirl

Closed Thread