It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2006, 02:08 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User
Daughter's BP Roommate Is Visiting .....

.....And has not taken her Lexapro in a few days. My daughter came to me and asked for perhaps one of her sister's meds to fill in because her roommate wasn't feeling good and didn't have her Lexapro with her. I asked her roommate when she took it last and she said around three days ago and was waiting for her therapist to send her more which hasn't happened. When I asked if she felt okay she said for the time being....that didn't really reassure me much. I asked her if she took other meds in the past and she said she took Zoloft which I have some of but I told her I really didn't feel comfortable giving her something that she hasn't been on in a while or how it may affect her. I certainly do not feel comfortable doing such a thing.

What would you do??? I feel somewhat responsible for her....I told her that if she felt really bad we have hospitals that she could go get evaluated at and see what they could do. My younger daughter is being followed by the state and I cannot exactly call her psychiatrist who is gone for the day so I thought I would ask for some advice here. I could perhaps call her mom and see what she would be okay with but thought I could get some ideas from people here as well of what you have been advised to do if you ran out of meds.

Thanks ~ Goody

Old 11-10-2006, 02:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kiehn HB User
Re: Daughter's BP Roommate Is Visiting .....

Hi Goody
Some Pharmacies will dispense an emergency dosage. Usually it has
to be the pharmacy that last filled the order. It seems rather odd to
me that her mother isnt following her closer. I would feel the same
as you and only comfortable giving med if it was my own child
that had run out and I had a previous med they tolerated. I think
your idea to call her mother or take her to the ER if necessary is
the wisest choice. Hopefully there is a simply solution.
Good Luck and I hope you have a good weekend.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2006, 04:36 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

tsohl HB User

Gee Goody,
You just aren't able to have a peaceful evening, are you? What ever happened to "date night?" I absolutely would not give her any of your meds...you would really open yourself up to a lawsuit if for some strange reason she had a reaction to the drug. If you have a pharmacy you use regularly, I would go take her in with you, explain the situation and ask if they could give you enough pills for a couple days until she's back on campus. Unless it is a drug with some value on the street, they are usually willing to do that....otherwise, I guess I'd ask her if she minded if you called her mom or dad to ask permission to give her something, if what you have is the same drug and dosage as she's taken before....

I bet you already have solved this problem! Good luck. Tsohl

Old 11-10-2006, 06:44 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

Thanks, Sue and Tsohl!! This girl is from another state and from what I know she is on a sample pack of the med (my daughter showed me it when we went to visit on Parent's weekend and her roommate was away). It looked to me that perhaps she is being supplied sample packs by her therapist or something. I am sure that she is half compliant with taking her meds. Otherwise she wouldn't be having the problems she is having.

Kait brought her roommate and 2 other suitemates home and they are all out for the evening....I am hoping that the roommate with BP will not further decline while here. I told her before she went out that if things got worse to call me and we would figure something out together since I was familiar with BP. And without lecturing too much I told the roommate that it wasn't good to stop the meds suddenly, that many of them had to be slowly started and that to suddenly stop them could have bad consequences such as seizures or sudden depression. She took it well or at least she seemed to. So they are out and if I see anything showing that she is not doing well I will have her call her mom so I can speak with her.

Date night....we have had a few when we can squeeze them in...we are learning to seize the moment. WE had an impromtu lunch the other day which was just what we needed.

Well....I hope that I can handle all of this.....it's alot more difficult when it is somebody elses child. And it gives me a glimpse of what my fears may be when Erin goes away to college and my doing what I would hope that another mother would do if in my 2 shoes.

~ Goody

Old 11-12-2006, 07:01 PM   #5
(female)

Pippinkitty HB User

Hi Goody!
Two things bother me about the info. on your post. One-a therapist can't dispense meds. The other thing is the Zoloft-the anti-depressants and bipolars thing. Erika became extremely aggressive last year on that. Anyway, there's my two cents. I would call Mom or have her go to a doctor. And it just hit me-the weekend is over and I bet they aren't there now. Oh well. Take care! Pippin

Closed Thread