It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2006, 08:08 PM   #1
(female)

libragirl76 HB User
My pdoc terminated me when i was hospitilized!!

Hello...I am new to the board and so glad I found something like this. I have rapid cycling BD. I was doing great for 4 mo straight except a spacey feeling. My Pdoc told me to go down on the Topomaz from 400 mg to 100 mg a day due to feeling spacey. I went into the worse depression ever and never before had suicidal thoughts or attempted suicide but I did because I was so fed up with the BD and thought it was the only answer. I was in the hospital for 5 days. When I got out I received a letter from my Pdoc that she terminated my services and the date on the letter was the same date that I was put in the hospital. Plus while I was in the hospital she said I was not in to see her since August, which was a lie I just saw her a week before I was admitted! It was as if she was trying to hide something but I was not mad at her but now upset how she betrared me. What should I do? I followed my treatment plan, took my meds, went to all my appointments with her and look....Not only did I just get out of the hospital and now have additional stress of trying to find a new Pdoc and find out how to get more meds. But I feel I should file a complaint or something. Anyone else had this happen to them?

Old 11-10-2006, 09:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kiehn HB User
Re: My pdoc terminated me when i was hospitilized!!

Hi libragirl
Im just going to throw out some thoughts.
I would be very upset and probably make the mistake of call the doctors office ranting and raving. Hopefully you havent done that yet.
*Sometimes people make mistakes, have you tired to call the doctors office.
One office I went to actually hired people with stable mental health cond.
but as we all know how stable can flucuate. So giving them the benefit of
a honest mistake might be to your benefit.
*If that doesnt work there's always Ombud who acts as an advocate in situations such as yours. Your mental health office show have the form to file or number to call.
*Or try calling back the hospital mental health unit and asking for an advocate to help you.
Hope this helps some and try to remember to not to get upset with them
it;s the first thing I ususally do, but it rarely solves anything.
Good Luck, Sue

Last edited by kiehn; 11-10-2006 at 09:21 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2006, 09:46 PM   #3
(female)

suzannecaroline HB User

I had a doctor that fired me as a patient because I did some questionable things while under his care (wild drunken manias with bad outcomes). I felt betrayed because he was soposed to be helping me with meds etc and he left when things got bad. Sometimes i think that they are too scared of maybe being sued etc. if something serious were to happen.

Old 11-11-2006, 08:09 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

tsohl HB User

I wonder how common this is?? My son had the same thing happen--I couldn't believe a responsible doctor would cut a patient loose in the midst of a crisis...but he did.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:42 PM   #5
(female)

libragirl76 HB User

Hi just got to the pc and saw the responses....to Kiehn omg!! I was SOO MAD! My husband and I had to go up there and get my medical records because she was trying to hide some information on them!!! She was the one that decreased my medicine but I didnt blame her for what I DID AND ENDED UP IN THE HOSPITAL FOR!!! My husband had to threaten a lawsuit before she would admit I was in there a week prior to going into the hosptial AND BEFORE SHE GAVE HIM ALL MY MEDICAL INFO TO PROVE IT. It was crazy!!! Than I was standing right there and she is really going to say to me "I heard you were in the hospital?" I was so angry I didnt say a word!!! I knew I would go mental!!"

Old 11-15-2006, 04:18 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

jgr01 HB User

Hi All,

I'm sorry to say this but I guess it may have something to do with your health service (or lack of it). I guess you're all American? Do you all have private pdocs and have to pay for it? You also have a culture of lawsuits which makes docs (all types) cover up mistakes etc for fear of reprisals if they get something wrong. In the UK the service is free (we pay out of our salaries monthly to the government) and our records are now on national database, all hospitals have access to all historical treatments therefore no-one can side-step their responsibilities. However, you can't change that, and this is really sh*tty. You should be able to get your notes from the doctor under the Data Protection Act - your notes are your notes; then you could slap a law suit, but If i were you I would just get them to give to your next pdoc and realise, 'what goes around comes around', she WILL get her comeuppance eventually.

Best of luck

Juliet x

Old 11-19-2006, 12:02 PM   #7
(female)

libragirl76 HB User

I agree thats the way it should be here! I dont know about anyone else in the US but me and my whole family have had nothing but hell with doctors! But I transfered my records and got a new one so hopefully this will work out.... Thanks!!!

Closed Thread