It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2006, 08:58 PM   #1
(female)

BlveInMe89 HB User
bi polar teen need someone to talk to

im 17 and i have bi polar, and depression. I have been hospitalized three times so far, and i have a wonderful boyfriend who has stuck by me through it all. its just sometimes hard to control my moods and he sometimes thinks i use my bipolar as an excuse.. is this happening to anyone else??

Old 11-10-2006, 09:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kiehn HB User
Re: bi polar teen need someone to talk to

Hi
I believe in you, you must be a very strong person, being a teen is hard enough then adding bipolar to it, takes someone strong to deal with. What you experiencing with the BF is very normal even if you werent bipolar we have our moody times. lol Ive learned because my husband will never be
bipolar he doesnt alway understand so I try my best not to get upset
with him but othertimes.... lol
I have a 22 yr old daugher that is also bipolar and her teens were hard for her too we used to fight a lot until she found the right med combo. That was only because she felt so bad inside it came out in anger. Even after seh found the right medicines it took her awhile for her to get her life the way she wanted it. Things will get better little by little you'll see improvements, the right med combonation can make a big difference and the rest is growing, learning and during these tuff years. You're a strong young lady hang in there I believe in you.

There are a lot different age groups on this board so I hope some of the others will offer you some of their support. Feel free to ask any questions here. Sending you a warm hug, and butterflywishes, Sue

Last edited by kiehn; 11-10-2006 at 09:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2006, 03:47 PM   #3
(female)

BlveInMe89 HB User
Talking Re: bi polar teen need someone to talk to

thankyou khien.. that was really helpful advice

Old 11-11-2006, 03:51 PM   #4
(female)

LAP18 HB User

I am a mom of a 17 year bipolar daughter. i am not bipolar but I am a victim of the illness. I love my daughter more than anyhting else in this world. right now, I am crying becuase she and I just had a fight. can you help me understand what is going on in her head? Please help me. I don't know how else to help her. I think she is mean and doesn't care about anyone else except for herself. I have done a lot of reading but the bottom line is, I feel so incompetent. I am so much pain.

Can I ask you? If you could have one wish... what would you wish your parents would do for you?

Blveinme89,please tell me what I need to do.

Laura

Old 11-11-2006, 07:53 PM   #5
(female)

BlveInMe89 HB User
Thumbs up Re: bi polar teen need someone to talk to

for me when my mom and i get into a fight i do the same thing with out thinking i fly off the handle and will say very cruel and hurtful things to her. I dont think anything of it when i am saying it. it doesnt sound mean or cruel. AFTER i say it is when i realize that what i just said was awful and i am so ashamed for saynig it. for me with bi polar i dont think about what i say when i get so enraged. its after i say it that im like what did i just say. sometimes i dont even remember what i said. you remind me of my mother. she gets very upset to. Just because ur daughter has bi polar though doesnt mean u should cut her any breaks. treat her as if she didnt have it within reason. when she gives u an attitude still tell her she is out of line. my mom just takes deep breaths, and tells me to get out of her face of course i will say something smart and i will walk away. but after i walk away i realize what i did. another thing dont egg her on. ignore her when she is having a fit. it wont get to u as much. about the wish thing. we just wish for are parents to be understanding. understand that we have a disorder that is sometimes hard to control. dont let her take advantage of it though. especially if she is medicated. i bet ur doing a great job mom keep up the good work..

ur friend blveinme89

Last edited by BlveInMe89; 11-11-2006 at 07:57 PM.

Old 11-11-2006, 10:18 PM   #6
(female)

Pippinkitty HB User

Hi Blve!
Another Mom here saying I absolutely, most certainly believe in you. The fact that you have reached out tells me you must be a survivor. I say survivor because reaching out is one of the survival skills needed to make it in this life. I watch my daughter struggle with this illness and simply knowing you have bipolar disorder tells me you have already been through so much. You are going to get better if you continue to move in a forward direction and advocate for yourself. I do hope you have strong supports around you.
My daughter accepted her diagnosis with relief. It gave her (and me) a starting point from which to work. She educates anyone who asks her about it. Unfortunately, most of the students in her school only know she is "crazy" (their word, definitely not mine). They all know she's been in the hospital and a large portion of the school population are afraid of her. I am going to be working with the school psychologist in her school to educate staff and am hoping to have some sort of education for the students. Is there anyone who can work with you on this. The more people are educated about it and the more it is brought out into the open the better the chances of one day, the general population seeing it for what it is-a MEDICAL disability.
Hang in there girl! I'll be back to check on you! You have your whole life ahead of you so don't go changing your dreams. One question before I leave-have you found the medication cocktail that is right for you? That seems to be the most difficult part. Also, I bought my daughter a bipolar workbook aimed at teaching bipolars how to see the cycles coming and how to manage things. Take care! Pippin

Old 11-12-2006, 01:01 AM   #7
(female)

LAP18 HB User

Thanks so much. Your advice is very helpful. I just realized that you wrote in asking for support and all I did was beg you for answers. Sorry.
You seem to be a very intelligent young lady. Your advice to me was very insightful. I hope you know that knowledge is power. there is so much out there for you to read. This is a great place to talk.

Your bf sounds like a great guy. He's probably confused at times and doesn't know what to say or probably doesn't always say the right things. Like you said to me, "you have a disorder that is hard to control". I am sure, since he loves you, it is very difficult for him to see you hurting.

Thanks for your kind words. It is 4:00 am, i couldn't sleep and your message made me happy. Thanks. We are here for you. Give your bf a hug tonight.
Laura

Old 11-13-2006, 09:12 PM   #8
(female)

BlveInMe89 HB User

pippin when i was hospitalized the first time in the 6th grade at the end of the year we had speakers in the auditorioum of are school talking about things we have over come. at the end of there speech kids would raise there hands and talk about the problems they have overcome. So i stood up raised my hand and told about 325 peers that i had overcome hospitalization and am fighting depression. i was never called crazy for that. I am glad i did, the key is to not be afraid of who you are except who you are and make changes. the "cocktail" i have been taking is trileptal and effexor. i also have severe depression and anxiety. hopefully your opinion wont change of me but i havent been taking them because i am five months pregnant. its strange though because when i got pregnant they took me off of them due to lung defects of the fetus. so i stopped. i feel better then ever. i think its the hormones. A lot of believing in god helped me through my sister gave me a book with these little prayer things in them and i would read one every night when i was in the hospital. i swear it helped. im not a practicing christian i just felt that it did help a bit. thank you for ur comments. ur friend blveinme89
lap18, i was not only asking for support i was looking for people going through the same things i was that i could relate with. even a family member like yourself who knows what it is like dealing with someone like me. I felt very flatterd when you asked for my advice. So i thank you for looking at me as someone mature and adult enough to take your questions seriously. im more mature for my age then most. i do have a good support system. my mom has been there for me. me and her are extremely close. my dad is an alcoholic so i dont see much of him. and my sisters and the rest of my family are also strenghts in my life that have kept me from failing. not to mention my incredible boyfriend! i bet your doing a FANTASTIC JOB. BOTH OF YOU. raising your kids.

THANK YOU BOTH FOR YOUR SUPPORT

ur friend blveinme89

Old 11-13-2006, 09:12 PM   #9
(female)

BlveInMe89 HB User

pippin when i was hospitalized the first time in the 6th grade at the end of the year we had speakers in the auditorioum of are school talking about things we have over come. at the end of there speech kids would raise there hands and talk about the problems they have overcome. So i stood up raised my hand and told about 325 peers that i had overcome hospitalization and am fighting depression. i was never called crazy for that. I am glad i did, the key is to not be afraid of who you are except who you are and make changes. the "cocktail" i have been taking is trileptal and effexor. i also have severe depression and anxiety. hopefully your opinion wont change of me but i havent been taking them because i am five months pregnant. its strange though because when i got pregnant they took me off of them due to lung defects of the fetus. so i stopped. i feel better then ever. i think its the hormones. A lot of believing in god helped me through my sister gave me a book with these little prayer things in them and i would read one every night when i was in the hospital. i swear it helped. im not a practicing christian i just felt that it did help a bit. thank you for ur comments. ur friend blveinme89
lap18, i was not only asking for support i was looking for people going through the same things i was that i could relate with. even a family member like yourself who knows what it is like dealing with someone like me. I felt very flatterd when you asked for my advice. So i thank you for looking at me as someone mature and adult enough to take your questions seriously. im more mature for my age then most. i do have a good support system. my mom has been there for me. me and her are extremely close. my dad is an alcoholic so i dont see much of him. and my sisters and the rest of my family are also strenghts in my life that have kept me from failing. not to mention my incredible boyfriend! i bet your doing a FANTASTIC JOB. BOTH OF YOU. raising your kids.

THANK YOU BOTH FOR YOUR SUPPORT

ur friend blveinme89

Old 11-14-2006, 05:28 AM   #10
(female)

arvc HB User

I am going to be straight forward please don't be offended, I had a bp ex & have a son so I've learned from experience. You must take your meds. If your dr says it is okay or neccessary while your pregnant then fine,don't make this decision on your own. People are right in the fact that you've reached out, thats great. Understand that a child is precious and will reap the side affects of all you do.Your bf says you use your bp as an excuse. My son was one who did and swore he didn't. Sometimes bp's do manipulate situations. I have seen this in action. When I finally had enough excuses(thats what I call it) I told my son bp is treatable and with the right meds he should have little problems. I know things can still happen and don't want to sound harsh, but society will not be our loved ones. My son has grown in maturity/school since I've quit allowing him to use bp as an "out" to inappropriate behavior. Not all behaviors are because he's bp, but because he knows he is deeply loved, protected, and that we know he's bp; it was easier to say I'm bp than for him to say I did wrong. You will have a baby soon so you will be caring for 2 not just yourself. I love my own son dearly and because I love him so much I want the most for him in life; therfore at our house we discuss all things openly and he knows his mom would die for him, but at the same time will expect more from him than being labeled bp. I support him 100%. I wish you all the best. Continue to pray to God everyday!! I'm glad you have family there for you.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:14 PM   #11
(female)

needwisdom HB User

I am quite impressed with you and the advice you gave to the mother who is so much in pain. You have a lot of insight and because you are dealing with the bp head on, you will do well in life. You will learn how to manage this bp and you will have the life you want to have. What a strong person you are-I can't believe you are a teen. You are an inspiration to many. Hang on and believe in yourself like we believe in you.

Cheers!

Closed Thread