It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2006, 06:47 PM   #1
(female)

wesleymiles HB User
Lamictal - Memory

Ive seen a couple posts about Lamictal and memory loss. I mean people tend to forget things, its no biggy, but lately (the past month or so) my short term memory has been getting so bad that when people talk to me they are beginning to think im not listening because I never remember what they say to me.. also, i tend to forget what i was about to say.. sometimes ill forget mid-sentence. I go into a room to get something and i'll forget what it was..

Two perfect examples: I was getting changed for school and I had to use the bathroom. I went to leave the bathroom to grab something out of my closet.. as I grabbed the door knob i realized i had forgotten to put my pants on! The other example: I was getting ready for school and kept forgetting everything, but as I was picking up my bookbag to leave out I was talking to my mom about how I can never remember where I put my watch at, she said to me, why dont you put it where you put your glasses. Soon as she said that I said.. Oh my goodness! I forgot my glasses! Ive got real bad sight, how did I even forget that???

Those are only two examples.. but I do these type of things on a daily basis about 50 times a day if not more..
I started a new job 2 weeks ago working a cash register.. I use to work at a different retail store for 3 yrs running register.. i was one of the top 3 cashier there.. here they cant stand me because I always forget what Im doing..

Does anybody know for sure if Lamictal does affect your memory?? Did anybody find out from their doctor?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2006, 04:44 AM   #2
(female)

always smiling HB User
Re: Lamictal - Memory

I've been on Lamictal for 3 years. I have the same problem, however, it hasn't started until I started taking Topamax last year. I blame it on that. I really don't think I had these side effects before that.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:08 PM   #3
(male)

ShoelessTroy HB User

I've been on 200mg of Lamictal for about 3 months now and my short term memory is friggen gone. I have to right everything down. I mean, my wife will ask me to do something like put the clothes in the dryer and I walk away. After about 20 mins she will ask me if I did it and I can't remember her asking me to do it. This is ridiculous!

Old 12-04-2006, 08:21 AM   #4
(male)

Spanophile HB User

I'm having the same issue too. I say something to someone, 10 minutes later they will say "Well you said..." and I will respond with "I never said that" because I honestly don't remember saying it. I'm having issues staying asleep too - I have strange, really vivid dreams. Last night I kept dreaming that I was hitting my head on the light in my hallway. As soon as I hit my head my body would convulse, I would wake up and be up for 30 minutes only to go back to sleep and have the same damn dream! The Lamictal is really steadying my moods but I can't deal with getting so little sleep!!!

Old 12-04-2006, 08:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User

I am also on lamictal and I feel like my short term memory has also gotten a bit worse. I need to have things attatched to me or I forget them! My pdoc thinks I may be add too though, so I don't know if that is part of it or not? I just can't focus and I forget things so much I get so distracted. eek, not amusing to my coworkers I'm afraid. I'll try to remember to ask my pdoc about this at my next appt in about a week. Key word is I'll TRY to remember lol

Old 12-07-2006, 11:13 AM   #6
(female)

wesleymiles HB User

I had spoke to my psychiatrist just the other day and told her about it and she had asked me if i was having that problem previous to taking the Lamictal.. Had I not been on the phone she would have actually gotten to see me roll my eyes. Obviously I wasnt if i was concerned about it. I told her that everybody forgets things once in awhile, but this was ridiculous. So she replies with.. so you did have this problem previously. I wanted to smack her.

Well, she then tells me that im the first person to ever tell her that they were having memory loss with Lamictal. Just because im the first doesnt mean im making it up.. so she's put me on Welbutrin (sp?) which is an anti-depressant, but also works to increase concentration.. so we shall see what happens.

At first she actually wanted to decrease my Lamictal.. I told her never because she had to double it because it stopped working at a lower dose. I dont know. I think she's nuts.

Old 12-07-2006, 07:40 PM   #7
(male)

BIG PUDDLES HB User

I am curious to know if people taking lamictal are taking an anti depressnt along with it? In close to thirty years sufferer' my bp is resistant to all antidepressants except maoi's (older generation of drug) nasty drug interaction, but it was a God send for me. My combo is Lamictal and MAOI. With the lamictal alone my memory seems to be ok. as soon as maoi was added and kicked in I found myself with the same difficulty you all have with memory. my memory is so bad, I find myself rubbing my brow with my finger and thumb or sometimes bumbing the side of my head with the pad of my hand, as if to say "You can go back to work any time soon". Just ask me a question and I will tell you, "no, I forgot, does that surprise you? Hope you all have as good a Holiday Season as you possibly can!

Old 12-08-2006, 08:12 AM   #8
(female)

shelliek HB User

I don't have any prolems with Lamictal and I've been taking it for about 3 or so years. I also take Abilify, Trileptal and Cytomel. I don't have concentration problems but I do have motivation problems and I sleep alot. Hope the Welbutrin works for you.

Old 12-08-2006, 10:26 AM   #9
(female)

smithjl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanophile
I'm having the same issue too. I say something to someone, 10 minutes later they will say "Well you said..." and I will respond with "I never said that" because I honestly don't remember saying it. I'm having issues staying asleep too - I have strange, really vivid dreams. Last night I kept dreaming that I was hitting my head on the light in my hallway. As soon as I hit my head my body would convulse, I would wake up and be up for 30 minutes only to go back to sleep and have the same damn dream! The Lamictal is really steadying my moods but I can't deal with getting so little sleep!!!

I was on Lamictal and Prozac for a while and had memory problems. I've been off the Prozac for about 3 weeks and things seem to be fine now. I'm assuming the Prozac had something to do with it. BUT I'm having the strange, vivid dreams, too. Sometimes it gets to the point where I can't tell what has acutally happened and what was in a dream. Lamictal is good for my moods but my sleeping habits have gotten horrible.

Old 12-08-2006, 11:20 AM   #10
(male)

Spanophile HB User

Sleeping issues/vivid dreams seem to be an issue with Lamictal. Are they a problem just in the beginning and eventually go away or will they remain the entire time you take Lamictal?

Old 12-08-2006, 07:03 PM   #11
(female)

lillygyrl67 HB User

Motivation and over sleeping are signs of depression. Have you told your doctor about this?

Old 12-14-2006, 06:36 PM   #12
(female)

wesleymiles HB User

WOW!!! The Welbutrin that the doctor had put me on was probably the worst thing she could have done. I can barely eat anything because after a couple bites im full. Ive been getting very irrated lately. Also yesterday she told me to double it so i did.. later on last night i was panicing because i felt like i was running a marathon on the inside, but on the outside i was just sitting there.. I was shaking. I kept pacing around trying to shake the feeling, but it wouldnt go away. I eventually was able to fall asleep though it wasnt easy.

This morning i was pretty much in the same condition i was last night, but i had to go to work this morning, I was talking about 500 miles per minute.. my stomach was churning, I was getting very dizzy, and i was still shaking. After a few hours it finally stopped, but im taking myself of those meds. I was waiting for my psychiatrist to call me back, but she hasnt so im just going to stop taking them.

So all in all, my memory still sucks and now im extremely irratable. So i guess you could say im a little worse off now. lol.. hopefully after this medication gets out of my system i will go back to the way i was feeling.

Closed Thread