It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2006, 01:49 PM   #1
(male)

Dannyk HB User
Self pity mode

Is there anyone else who gets into this self pity, poor me mode? When I get depressed I seem to automatically go into that mode of thinking. I try to not do that but it almost seems automatic. I think it makes my depression even worse.

What I think is poor old me. Full of mental illness and I need everyone to feel sorry for me. I know that's an imature way to be but I don't know how to stop it. Any ideas?

Dan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2006, 02:41 PM   #2
(male)

Spanophile HB User
Re: Self pity mode

I definitely get that way. "Feeling Good" by Dr. Burns is a good book to read. It teaches you how to develop more positive thinking habits. My old therapist gave it to me. There's a book and also it comes in the form of a workbook. I have the workbook and cannot motivate myself to do the activities. There is a lot of good stuff in it but don't they understand that when you're depressed it takes a full scale effort to actually attempt to read a book much less complete exercises?!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2006, 06:28 PM   #3
(female)

makeworldgoaway HB User

I think I'm 1/2 self-pity and 1/2 guilt ridden (I must deserve this pain) when I'm depressed. I don't know how to stop it, if I did I don't think I'd get depressed! It's like when I start thinking about possible horrible confrontational scenarios with whatever or whoever is in my life, I play it out in my head and then get as upset as if it had really happened. Then I try to tell myself that but I'm still upset. I am trying to stop doing that but it's like passing a car accident and trying not to look...

Old 12-08-2006, 01:21 AM   #4
(female)

munchie11 HB User

Hello DannyK

I don't think I can really say anything to help. But I am currentley in that mode. I think I snap out of it though when I see someone who is doing far worse than me and then I feel really guilty and selfish for feeling that way and try to concentrate on all the good in my life and realize how lucky I really am.

Thanx Muchie

Last edited by munchie11; 12-08-2006 at 01:39 AM.

Old 12-09-2006, 01:42 AM   #5
(female)

miss_pelld HB User

just wanted to say that I get into tha mode too.. the whole shebang... i get in the half/half mode, the poor me mode and the I probably deserveit mode... not all at the same time, but it is usually one of them.

I have tried to stop it too as I am also aware and am sick of feeling this way because it can cause problems for my relationship especially when my partner is in a manic state, which will leave me insecure and down all in one go.

I dont know.. actually I cant think straight at the moment, so I better leave my ranting as is for now.

Jo

Old 12-09-2006, 03:29 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

isitme HB Userisitme HB User

Another POM here - poor old me!
I certainly am trying to change it, the way I think. It doesn't come easy, but as others have written, there are millions of people worse off than ourselves. I just have to try to remember that! Stay positive.

Old 12-10-2006, 01:08 AM   #7
(female)

blauermonday HB User

And another POM! My counselor (gently) accused/pointed out my having a pity party this week, and I have been trying to fight it by practicing gratefulness. As small as I have to start, whatever, as long as I am trying, like when I am thankful no one broke into my apartment each time I return. It helps a little, sometiems a lot, changing the road my mind is driving along.

Closed Thread