It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2006, 09:47 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

xxxzoexxx HB User
insomnia and mania

does anyone find that their manic symptoms increase with insomnia? i can not sleep much atall right now. in fact it's 5:46 am right now, and i haven't slept all night!

Old 12-29-2006, 11:28 PM   #2
(female)

munchie11 HB User
Re: insomnia and mania

Hello

Yes, for sure. My doc tells me though, that my insomnia is due to my mania as well. Like they play off each other.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2006, 09:46 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

hergy HB User

Munchie is so right. My doctor tells me that sleep disturbance can bring on manic episodes, while mania produces insomnia.

She has prescribed a sleep aid to help me get into a sleep routine to avoid further mood problems. Without the sleep aid, I can't get my brain to rest. But I've started avoiding the sleep aids because I don't want to sleep. I, too, like to stay up until about 5am. I'm crap the next day, and very moody. My mania increases, and so do my impulsive moments.

It takes self-discipline to get into a sleep routine when you don't want or feel the need to sleep. I'd be a hypocrite to say I've got that under control, but I don't excuse my behavior. It's a simple move to take the sleep aid and slip into bed. But sometimes you've got to force yourself to get into a healthy routine. My doctor told me I need to care for my health sort of like an infant, taking control of my rest, proper eating habits and exercise.

Check with your doctor about how to get into a healthy sleep routine. It's very important, especially if you're bipolar.

Best wishes,

Nikki

Old 01-03-2007, 12:40 AM   #4
(female)

Virgo bipolar HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxzoexxx
does anyone find that their manic symptoms increase with insomnia? i can not sleep much atall right now. in fact it's 5:46 am right now, and i haven't slept all night!

Hi, I've been up every morning between4 and 5 am. I wake up fully at least once a night. I too am frusterated because i take imovane and 200mg of Serequel. I also try warm milk and honey plus a hot bath. I'm desperate to get on the right meds that will work with me not against me. I just stopped taking lithium again and olanzapine because of weight gain. now i think the Divalproex and serequel are still causeing this. Do you have weird side effects besides insomnia?

Old 02-20-2007, 05:49 PM   #5
(female)

Lisacheckm8 HB User

Hi I find that insomnia is the 1st signal I get when heading for a manic phase, I dont get off to sleep at all. Whilst its ok missing the odd nights sleep you must be weary of going for days without as sleep deprivation can seriously mess with your head and senses. I dont believe the hot milk, warm bath and reading work if the insomnia is part of a manic phase my experience is that my sleeping tablet zopiclone fails to work, plus I am on zyprexa and tegretol. I think you should talk with your doc and see whether he can provide a solution that suits you. I dont mind staying up all night but god does it cause havoc with my family,they like their sleep an I get accused of being noisey and selfish.........so everyone gets irratable with me. I do hope you find a solution to it

Take care

Old 02-21-2007, 12:36 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

roz5 HB User

Wow, this makes me feel better! I thought it was just me! I have been wide awake; up and moving at 3am the past 4 nights. I've been taking Lamictal for 3 weeks and Abilify for one week. I don't know if these are causing the insomnia or what (I take the Lamictal at 7pm and Abilify at 6am). My husband thankfully sleeps through my early wake up time! I do have sleep aids from the summer, when I was battling insomonia....but am leary of taking any more meds.
When you speak of sleep deprivation causing worse manic episodes....what do you mean by manic episodes (I am new to this bipolar diagnosis)?

Old 02-21-2007, 01:36 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

teresa2007 HB User

I hate it! Iwant out of this manic phase, Im tired , im sick and im shaking. ijust needed someone to talk too.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:39 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

roz5 HB User

Well, you can talk to me!! I'm wide awake (since 2:45am)----though, I'm not as bad off as you sound. Are you ok? What do you mean by manic phase----the shaking, tired state you are in? Are you feeling depression? That is one of my worst symptoms...I can "turn on a dime"----happy one minute and in the pit of despair the next. My husband has been a saint to put up with me. This all began when I had my hysterectomy 18 months ago (I'm only 43!).
Hang in there.....we're here for you!!

Old 02-21-2007, 11:52 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

teresa2007 HB User

Hey roz5,
Im sorry i left you i was shaking so bad i took a xanax and tried to lay down . Im just up and down ok one minute losing the next and trying to hide it from my kids which is putting more pressure on me. But you sound just like me when i had my hystrectomy that made everything worse everything! I know i need help because im not getting any better im getting worse and im so exhausted. Thanks for being there! Tee

Old 02-21-2007, 01:54 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

roz5 HB User

Geez, Tee....are you ok?
Does Xanax work for you? Doesn't do much for me....I take Klonopin. I contacted my psych nurse practitioner and she said I can take Lunesta for sleep. I will try that tonight and hope to get some sleep. She also added Wellbutrin to my mix of meds. I have an appt. with her on Friday, so we'll see how things are going. Have you slept at all today?? I sure hope so!

Old 02-21-2007, 03:29 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

marshmallow HB User

Tee, I havent talked to you in a while. How are you doing? I am concerned.

Old 02-21-2007, 06:19 PM   #12
Veteran
(male)

Dantheinsane HB User

My manic behavior is triggered by my lack of sleep. If I can keep my sleep in check I can keep my manic behavior better off than if I didn't sleep. Of course I still need meds, therapy, etc. But sleep is essential for me.

Then there is the depressed side of my Bipolar Disorder. When I sleep good I am easily depressed, and if I sleep to much I am usually buried in my depression. So when I don't sleep I am anxious, even borderline panic driven, going into manic. If I do sleep I run into my depression side.

More or less sleep or the lack of centers into my BD.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:33 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

roz5 HB User

I have all of a sudden been dealing with insomnia this past week. I've been on Lamictal and Abilify....don't know if either of these meds is contributing or not? Odd thing is, I am functioning very well without sleep......is this considered 'manic'...the fact that I can do laundry; make a grocery list; mop my kitchen floor at 3am??

Then, by 3 or 4 pm...depression begins to set in. Are these bi-polar symptoms?? I still cannot believe that I may be bi-polar

Old 02-23-2007, 12:33 PM   #14
(female)

The Phoenix HB User

i take lunesta it works wonders id recommended it good luck all

Old 02-24-2007, 04:06 AM   #15
(female)

BiPolarInBama HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxzoexxx View Post

Hi, I am new here but thought I would chip in on this one. It is Saturday morning 6am....except for 3 hours sleep lst night, I have been up since Wednesday around 1pm....and I can't seem to shut up once I start talking.

Before wednesday I was in the bed 24/7.......of course I was then sleeping about 6 hours every day (not night)...

I am not sure if my mania is insomnia induced, or my insomnia is manic induced.

Hope you feel better soon

Closed Thread