It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2007, 03:43 PM   #1
(female)

harmony06 HB User
does anyone else hear things

last week i was in my car and all of a sudden i heard what sounded like birds chirping. it was very loud, it stopped while i was at a red light and then when i started to move the chirping started up again for a short distance. when i got home i called the garage and brought it in to be checked. needless to say nothing was wrong and no one has heard the chirping since.

the problem is that i just got home from the store and i was standing in my kitchen when i heard the same noise, like birds chirping and again it was loud. it felt like it was all around me, i couldn't tell where it was comming from. it really scared me.

when the problam with the car happened i figured it was just one of those things. but now that i heard it in the house i don't know what to think. please someone answer me. this has never happened to me before and i don't know what to think. i've heard that some people with bp hear voices, i never heard of anyone hearing other sounds.

i would appreciate any input that you may have

Old 02-27-2007, 03:56 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

tsohl HB User
Re: does anyone else hear things

Could you have tinnitus? That can result in hearing a noise...I guess it could be churping. Otherwise, auditory hallucinations do not have to be voices. They could also be sounds.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2007, 07:02 PM   #3
(female)

harmony06 HB User

tsohl thank you for your reply

i don't believe that it's tinnitus, although i'm not really sure what that really is.

i believe what i had was an auditory hallucination, i have had them once or twice but it was when i was under major stress and i heard a family member saying something that they hadn't said. there were witnesses to this.

this time i was alone and not under any stress either time. although i have been more and more depressed every day lately. i don't know if this may have had anything to do with it or not. i have a pdoc appt. on friday and will deffinitly talk to him about this.

it's just that it really freaked me out. it sounded so real and i couldn't find what was causing the sound. it's winter, there are no birds around. they were so loud and there was some other noise in it but i can't describe it. it was the chirping that got to me. i think i'm just going crazy.

thanks for listening it's always nice to know someone is listening

Old 02-27-2007, 08:25 PM   #4
(female)

kathryn00 HB User

hello! i will tell you my experience.

i think this was because i had anxiety.

whenever i went to bed any noise (air conditioner, insects chirping, anything) became amplified in my head and turned into music. the noise was no longer distant, but directly in my ear.

i ended up eliminating any possible noise i could. now, my room is nice and quiet. except, of course, until the insects return. but, they no longer bother me.

i really think it was an anxiety thing. was there a low level noise anywhere around where you heard these birds? it can be the lowest sound, but still become loud in your ear.

well, that's all. hope it made sense. really, look into anxiety. since taking lexapro, i only, once in a blue moon, experience this noise.

best to you,
kathryn

Old 02-27-2007, 09:20 PM   #5
(female)

loopylu HB User

Just a real quick reply as I'm kinda in a rush - but that is not tinnitus - I have had tinnitus since 1996 and it is more like a ringing in the ears - have you ever been to a real loud rock band or concert and had a ringing in your ears when it is over? That is kind of what tinnitus is like.
loopylu

Old 02-28-2007, 06:12 AM   #6
(female)

sharonamy HB User

All I hear is my own boring, nagging, negative voice going on and on and on inside my head constantly. Until I self medicate with alcohol in evenings to get some peace. Not ideal I know. Sometimes when manic its a happy very fast stupid voice and thats when I start singing and dancing in public.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:26 AM   #7
(male)

oldrocker HB User

I would say that you had something stuck in the suspension that was rubbing the brake rotor, since you only heard it while moving. It could have been a small branch or twig and dislodged before you went to the shop. I was a mechanic for 20 years, and believe me people brought in plenty of cars that made such noises that I could find no cause of or hear. There are many possible answers besides it just being in your head. I would also think if it was you just "hearing noises" you would have still heard it while stopped. Tom

Old 02-28-2007, 07:49 PM   #8
(female)

kaplanangel HB User

harmony,my mother and myself are bipolar,manic depressive.she has times when things she sees are distorted.i have a problem with hearing things and sometimes seeing shapes of things that aren't there.i hate to say this,but until we were both put on medication,it got bad,but now the episodes are few and moods are alot better.i am on prozac 20 mg twice a day & vallium for my nerves.she is on prozac 20 mg once a day and abillify at night.the abillify has made a world of difference.no manic episodes or anything since she started it

Old 02-28-2007, 08:36 PM   #9
(female)

harmony06 HB User

thank you all for your replies

i'm feeling a little better now since none of you told me to get myself on the phone with my pdoc right away. i was really worried that there was something drasticaly wrong with me. i guess it could have been one of many different things that caused it. i will be seeing my pdoc on friday and dicuss this problem with him, although i'm not quite so scared to now.

i'll keep you all posted as to the outcome of that visit.thanks again and hope everything is well with all of you

Closed Thread