It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2007, 02:02 PM   #1
(female)

tmms19 HB User
Unhappy Lamictal and shortness of breath???

I have been on Lamictal at 200 mg and have been experiencing shortness of breath and a feeling of something in my throat almost since the very start of the medication. I was told it was anxiety and stress that was causing it. I have always been able to walk between 3-5 miles a day and I cannot do that anymore. I have gone through all kinds of clotting, heaving bleeding and periods that last 10 days and start again in 8-10 days. I have just come home from the hospital and they ran tests on my heart and pulmonary funtion tests and this has come back clear. Has anyone had this side effects? I have told the doc when I go in that I am having these problems -- just blows me off.
I have shortness of breath, sensation in my throat, cough, bleeding, headaches, fatigue, trouble sleeping, vision problems, and on and on.

I want to go off the lamictal now -- he says no --
any ideas on this subject?

I have been on anti-depressants for about 15-20 year off and on. I am tired of living like this.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:02 PM   #2
(female)

camillacamilla HB User
Re: Lamictal and shortness of breath???

edited for privacy...****** archives these messages

Last edited by camillacamilla; 05-16-2007 at 09:49 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2007, 05:48 PM   #3
(female)

tmms19 HB User

He thinks that it is not the lamictal. I have been in the hospital this week and they ran an echo, stress test, and pulmonary function test and all came back great - no problems. One of the nurses told me that she had been on lamictal and had severe shortness of breath, cough and said that she had to come off of it right away. I have been on it for about 14 months and these things just progressively have been gettting worse. I would not have put 2 and 2 together, but she brought me info straight out of the PDA at the hospital. My family doc,an internest and two nurses thought it could not hurt to go off of it. I have complained to my doc about the shortness of breath and he tells me it is stress and anxiety. Well I am going in again on Tuesday and tell him that I am going off of it -- just to make sure that it could/could not be the medicine. I am afraid of being off the meds, but I cannot live like this. I cannot do anything without being short of breath. Walking up the stairs carrying laundry winds me. I have been at a relaxed state for abotu 4 days now and it has not let up at all. I have to go back to work as I cannot afford to stay home. Right now I am really disappointed that he is telling me to stay on the meds. He does not know how I feel and if trying without the meds can help, why would he be against it?

Read up on the side affects -- not all of them are listed on the pharmacy sheet.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:34 AM   #4
(female)

camillacamilla HB User

edited for privacy

Last edited by camillacamilla; 05-16-2007 at 09:49 AM.

Closed Thread