It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2007, 06:16 AM   #1
(female)

ladyofkypros HB User
Abilify and Insomnia?

Has anyone had a problem with insomnia while on Abilify? My son is AWAKE all the time! I put him to bed at 9pm and he will sleep till about 11:30pm and then he wakes up and can't go back to sleep till like 2 or 3am and then will sleep till about 6am and then is up again... usually for the remainder of the day. I don't know his body is even functioning... He has only been getting 4 or 5 hours of interrupted sleep for the last week and half. I talked to the pdoc about it and she was like, "Oh, I will discuss it with his inpatient doc"... so what do we do in the meantime? He is keeping everyone up when he wakes up and I about lost it myself last night. I'm a walking zombie.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:27 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User
Re: Abilify and Insomnia?

Hi....I think that when my daughter was on Abilify she had the same thing happening.....waking up a few times a night with broken sleep.

When does he take the Abilify??? Sometimes just changing the time he gets it or taking it in divided doses may help. My daughter seemed to get more sedated on it during the day and no matter what they did, either by decreasing it or adjusting the times, she just continued with the sedation. Eventually, they took her off of it. What dosage is your son on???

I would defintely bring this up to your doctor. If the med is working well otherwise, perhaps adding some Seroquel or another med at night will help with his sleep. There is a natural med called Melatonin....it comes in I believe 3mg tabs. You could try giving him a half a tab and see if that helps. It is a natural chemical released in the body that helps with sleep and will not leave a groggy feeling. You can find it in the vitamin section of the store. I tried it and it does work well...give it to him about a half hour to an hour before bedtime.

Also....alot of kids with BP have anxiety especially at nighttime. So that may be what is going on with your son and eventually they may have to perscribe something for that as well.

Hope this helps....and do take care of yourself. Catch up with some sleep while he is in school if at all possible.

((((HUGS)))) ~ Goody

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2007, 06:31 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

tsohl HB User

Abilify is known to be activating rather than sedating in most people. Does he take it in the morning?

Old 03-15-2007, 06:37 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Hi....just looked up Abilify and sleep problems (insomnia) is listed among it's side effects. My daughter, as I have often said around here, often has a rebound effect/paradoxical effect with meds, that is, it does the opposite of what it is suppose to do. Meds affect our children differently that is why it is important to inform your doctor what affect the med is having on them.

~ Goody

Old 03-16-2007, 12:54 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

roz5 HB User

I take Abilify in the morning and still end up sleeping only 4-5 hours (uninterupted sleep). I am now backing off to a mere 5mg of Abilify to see it that works.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:18 PM   #6
(female)

strssd_mom HB User

My son has been taking Abilify for many months and he doesn't have insomnia. He has quite the opposite, one 5mg pill will put him to sleep within an hour or two.

I agree that the medication has different affects on different children. I would definitely consult the doctor. our doctor gave us the ability to modify his dosage. Perhaps you could try modifying it until you find something that is suitable.

Old 03-16-2007, 08:04 PM   #7
(male)

abrown3607 HB User

I'm new to this board but I'm 22 and have been taking Abilify for almost three weeks now. I started at 30mg per day but had problems with akathisia (i.e. severe restlesness). I reduced to 15mg and still have the same problems but not as bad. Ironically, I started taking the medication at bedtime and I seem to sleep through the restlessness, but I'm also taking a benzodiazepine (Klonopin) to help with anxiety and the restlessness the Abilify causes.

Just an idea, but a decrease in the dosage and the addition of another drug to counteract the side effects seems to help me. I'm still looking for a different antispychotic, though. Zyprexa seems to be HEAVILY sedating, but it turned me into a zombie. Some people like it better because they take it at bed time and it knocks them right out...

Old 03-18-2007, 06:14 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

JJK11 HB User

I seem to sleep well on Abilify, but my dreams are extremely bizarre and out there. Thoughts that I have before I fall asleep are inexplicable and make no sense.

Also how old is everyone's children here who are on meds? Are they under 16? If so, I find it very disturbing that children so young are taking meds.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:27 AM   #9
(female)

mizcandula HB User

I'm on 5mg of Abilify and have terrible insomnia as well. I can sleep from like 10 - 1AM, awake till 4AM, back to sleep, awake again at 6AM and that's it. I was going like this for 2 weeks and tried Melatonex... which, don't waste your money on, doesn't work. I've found that taking the minimum amount of Nyquil helps me sleep through the night. i know it's not the perfect solution, but I find that the abilify has helped me greatly and I don't want to stop taking it.. plus, I really don't wanna get on sleeping pills..

Hope this helps..

Old 03-22-2007, 10:46 PM   #10
(male)

mb240d HB User

I just began treatment with Abilify this afternoon. This is the first round of fumble and guess on my doctor's part. He gave me that and Clonazepam to get me through the day. His specific instructions for taking the Abilify were to take one 5mg tab before bed. I did that around nine and slept until one. I woke up feeling as if my left brain never shut down. I was dreaming that I was working on something and when I awoke, I was irritated that I wasn't able to roll over and go back to sleep. I was also confused for the first 2 minutes as to why the problems that I was working on in my dream weren't here upon waking. I walked to the kitchen and was blinded by a small florescent desklamp that I use for a nightlight (hypersensitivity to light?) Now 15 min until 2am, and I'm wide awake. How long should I ride this out?, because with my work schedule makes it so if I don't get 8 hours of sleep, I may not get to sleep again for the next 16-20 hours.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:09 PM   #11
(male)

abrown3607 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb240d View Post
I just began treatment with Abilify this afternoon. This is the first round of fumble and guess on my doctor's part. He gave me that and Clonazepam to get me through the day. His specific instructions for taking the Abilify were to take one 5mg tab before bed. I did that around nine and slept until one. I woke up feeling as if my left brain never shut down. I was dreaming that I was working on something and when I awoke, I was irritated that I wasn't able to roll over and go back to sleep. I was also confused for the first 2 minutes as to why the problems that I was working on in my dream weren't here upon waking. I walked to the kitchen and was blinded by a small florescent desklamp that I use for a nightlight (hypersensitivity to light?) Now 15 min until 2am, and I'm wide awake. How long should I ride this out?, because with my work schedule makes it so if I don't get 8 hours of sleep, I may not get to sleep again for the next 16-20 hours.
I have problems GETTING to sleep, but not staying asleep and I tend to feel fairly rested the next morning. I'm taking 20mg of Abilify before bed with 0.5mg clonazepam (Klonopin) and 750mg Depakote. The Abilify keeps me up a little bit, but the Klonopin and the Depakote tend to knock me out pretty quick.

Old 03-23-2007, 01:40 PM   #12
(female)

ladyofkypros HB User

Okay, they put my son on Seroquel at night and are backing him off of the Abilify (he was only taking 5mg), but at that level, had the akathisia pretty bad. We cut the tabs in half and the restlessness stopped, even though he was always bouncing his leg... Serequel has been a god send... it will knock him out within an hour and he will sleep for 6-7 hours straight... if I can get him to sleep till at least 5 am... I'm happy. We get up at 6am anyway. I'm concerned about the Serequel also though...I saw a commercial the other day for a law suit for users of Serequel and something about developing diabetes, is this a common problem? It just seems like we are damned if we do and damned if we don't. But his behavior and attitude have dramatically improved. Still having occaisional outburst, but they are much more subdued than they were. i came home yesterday and he actually had the front blinds open and the backdoor open... letting sun light and fresh air into the house... I about fell over! I was estatic!

Old 03-26-2007, 10:32 PM   #13
(male)

mb240d HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrown3607 View Post
I have problems GETTING to sleep, but not staying asleep and I tend to feel fairly rested the next morning. I'm taking 20mg of Abilify before bed with 0.5mg clonazepam (Klonopin) and 750mg Depakote. The Abilify keeps me up a little bit, but the Klonopin and the Depakote tend to knock me out pretty quick.
Doc had me on 500mg of Depakote a day by itself a while back, and I had some pretty bad anxious nightmares while on it. I wish I could find a doctor that would give me about 8-10mg of alprazolam a day and just be done with it. Thats about the only thing that works. I can deal with being sad, I've done it my whole life. Its being constantly angry and tense that I'm having trouble with. <----------Please insert benzodiazapine here

Old 03-28-2007, 07:26 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

tylersmom29 HB User

Hi my son is also on abilify and he takes it in the morning and at night. The night med is only half of five mg. But he still has sleep problems. I am going to talk to his doctor about this tomorrow when we take him back to doctor. Some times it can be really hard on him because we will go to bed at eight thritey and he won't fall alsleep till after ten or later. It can be really frustrating because he doesn't get any sleep and niether do i. Maybe adjusting the dose will help. What is the dose your son takes? Hope this helps. Tylersmom29

Old 03-28-2007, 07:34 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Tylersmom ~ Read post#12 by Lady....I think that you and your son may actually benefit from a little Seroquel given at night. It really helps at night with sleep and also reduces some anxiety which your son may be having.

Discuss this option with your doctor. My daughter takes Seroquel and she is asleep within a half hour of taking it.

Hope this helps ~ Goody

Closed Thread