It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2007, 08:14 PM   #1
(male)

abrown3607 HB User
Seasonal Bipolar I Disorder

I'm 22 and I was diagnosed with seasonal affective bipolar I disorder when I was 18. It lasts about early January through late April, and the rest of the year most people, including most psychiatrists, can't tell I have a mental disoder. Has anyone had any success with long-term treatment that actually works during the bipolar phase but doesn't make you feel medicated during the "normal" periods. I've tried many different meds, and all seem extremely harsh and do not seem to be meds I can stay on throughout the rest of the year. I've tried the SSRIs but they all induce mania, Zyprexa, Wellbutrin, Abilify, and Klonopin, as well as Elavil, Desyrel, lithium, and Depakote. I'm on my third psych and getting frustrated.

Any suggestions or comments from people who are also seasonally affected? I'm frustrated and my docs are frustrated I won't stay on my meds past the three or four months i'm unwell. Thanks!

Old 03-16-2007, 09:09 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

michael178 HB User
Re: Seasonal Bipolar I Disorder

It is the nature of bipolar illness to shift between the lows of depressiion to the highs of mania in a cyclical fashion. In between those moods, there is a period of normalcy. But the disease does not go away during the normal period, and medications are still needed. Also there frequently is a seasonal element to these mood swings, so adding that reference to the name of the disease, doesn't change the nature of being Bipolar. One of the polar elements, usually the manic side, can seem to be missing, but it is usually there; and eventually it grows with age to become just as prominent as the depression. Medications are often prescribed to tamper down mania as it is usually the more dangerous part of the equation.
So, what you describe seems really consistent with being Bipolar. If you stop taking your medication please inform your pdoc of your decision. But I encourage you not to stop

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2007, 09:17 PM   #3
(male)

abrown3607 HB User

I realize I'm bipolar. But I've been clinically diagnosed as only having it seasonally. I appreciate your concern about the meds, but I'm trying to get advice from maybe someone who knows about S.A.D. and its relation to bipolar I disorder. I have both, as well as anxiety disorder.

Do you know about meds that might work? Or ones that work in one season when I'm manic and the rest of the year when I'm not?

Old 03-16-2007, 09:33 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

tsohl HB User

Hello and welcome to the board,

I have never even heard of seasonal affective bipolar, but I wanted to acknowledge your post. Hopefully others will be familiar with it and able to give you some workable suggestions. Sometimes weekends are a bit slow on here, so don't be discouraged if you don't get lots of responses.

Have you tried Lamictal?

My 25-year old son has a simple-enough case of classic manic-depression, but it took him about 3 years and at least 4 pdocs to finally find one who really understood meds and was able to stabilize him and keep him free from episodes. You have to have a lot of patience to keep trying to find what will work best for you, with the fewest side effects.

I have learned so much on this board and I hope you will, too.

Regards,
Tsohl

Old 03-16-2007, 09:45 PM   #5
(male)

abrown3607 HB User

Thanks for the reply!

I've tried Lamictal with Wellbutrin, but it made me feel very...medicated. And it didn't help much with the mania, only the depression. But it DID help with the depression.

-Anthony

Old 03-17-2007, 09:35 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

CarenR HB User

Zyprexa.- I changed because my hair was failing out. and weight gain..

I take tegretol.. which manages moods....

Old 03-17-2007, 11:11 AM   #7
(male)

abrown3607 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarenR View Post
Zyprexa.- I changed because my hair was failing out. and weight gain..

I take tegretol.. which manages moods....
JUST Tegretol? I've tried the mood stabilizers mixed with other meds, but never Tegretol alone... Does it work for you? Is it heavily sedating, like Zyprexa was?

Old 03-17-2007, 11:30 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

NutshellNutter HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrown3607 View Post
JUST Tegretol? I've tried the mood stabilizers mixed with other meds, but never Tegretol alone... Does it work for you? Is it heavily sedating, like Zyprexa was?
Hi,
The heaviest side of my BP is the depression. I'm on 30mg Mirtazapine (anti-dep) along with 800mg Tegretol Retard (mood stabiliser).

I was only this week, after 2 years put up to 800mg tegretol retard from 600 due to a big dip in my mood. One thing though - I switched over to the retard formula a few months back from the normal formula. The reason is that I completely lost my short term memory whilst on the normal formula - wheras the retard is time release - so I don't 'get it all in one go' - this has massively improved, in fact returned to me, my short term memory.

Good lLuck,
Nut.

Old 03-17-2007, 07:40 PM   #9
(male)

abrown3607 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutshellNutter View Post
Hi,
The heaviest side of my BP is the depression. I'm on 30mg Mirtazapine (anti-dep) along with 800mg Tegretol Retard (mood stabiliser).

I was only this week, after 2 years put up to 800mg tegretol retard from 600 due to a big dip in my mood. One thing though - I switched over to the retard formula a few months back from the normal formula. The reason is that I completely lost my short term memory whilst on the normal formula - wheras the retard is time release - so I don't 'get it all in one go' - this has massively improved, in fact returned to me, my short term memory.

Good lLuck,
Nut.
Thanks! Unfortunately, the heaviest side of mine is the mania. I'm extremely manic for about 3 months with only brief days of heavy depression. I needs meds to calm me, like the Klonopin and the Abilify, but something that isn't so rough and sedating. I guess I'm just looking for my miracle drug that will work for the three months I'm manic and the 8 or 9 I'm not.

Closed Thread