It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2007, 08:14 AM   #1
(female)

chinup22 HB User
bipolar affective disorder type 2

I Was Recently Diagnosed With Type 2 Bipolar. It's Really Hard To Find Personal Stories Or Extended Information About Type 2. It Always Seems To Revert Back To Type 1. Anyone Out There Diagnosed With Type 2, With Information Or Life Stories To Share. I'm On My Fifth Day Of Lamictal. It Hasn't Kicked In Yet, So I'm Still Agitated And Depressed. Looking Forward To A Little Relief, Hopefully Soon. Can You Recommend Any Reading Material That Focuses On Type 2? Thanks

Old 03-20-2007, 08:19 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User
Re: bipolar affective disorder type 2

Can you please tell me alittle more about yourself. what were your symptoms of bipolar 2? how old are you? if you dont want to answer thats ok. Just remember the more you share the more help and info you will get. this is a great board full of information.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2007, 09:13 AM   #3
(female)

chinup22 HB User

I'm 40 Years Old. I Have Suffered With Depression Off And On My Whole Life. I Always Chocked That Up To Life Circumstances. I Have Oftentimes Been Extremely Agitated And Depressed Before Menstruating. I Can Multi-task With The Best Of Them. Sometimes I Have Racing Thoughts At Night While Trying To Fall Asleep. After Having My Last Baby, I Suffered From Post Partum Depression. I Was Given Paxil. I Was Happy 24 Hours A Day And Seemed To Float Through Life. My House Was Immaculate And I Required Little Sleep. After Gaining 20 Lbs., My Doc Prescribed Welbutrin, This Made Me Extrememly Agitated And Anxious. We Then Tried Lexapro Which Within Hours Sent Me Into A Psychotic Type State. At This Point I Had Been Diagnosed With Anxiey Disorder. My Doc Referred Me To A Psychiatrist. He Explained That I Was Probably Bipolar 2. He Said That Negative Reactions Such As I Had Experienced Often Occur When Bipolar Is Treated With Anti-depressants. Paxil Caused A Manic Episode. Welbutrin An Agitated And Anxious Episode And Lexapro The Psychotic. Right Now I Just Want That Nice Even Plateau. I Want To Find Peace And Happiness In Life. I Can't Stand Self Pity And I Feel Like I Wallow In It In This State. What A Waste Of The Time We Are Given Here. I Have Been Trying To Exercise. I Definetely See A Difference When I Spend 30 Minutes A Day Doing Some Form Of Cardio Activity.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:46 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

tsohl HB User

Hello Chinup,

Welcome to the board. I would first suggest that you look on the website of the National Institute of Mental Health. Just type NIMH into a search engine and it will pop up. You can get good free information there that isn't biased by a sponsor.

Bipolar 2 isn't all that different from BP1. Sometimes people get the impression that it is a less severe type of bipolar, "bipolar light" if you will, but that really isn't true. The main difference is in the absence of symptoms of a "classic" mania, the type people normally think of, "euphoria, grandiosity, etc." BP2 can be just as tricky to treat...some think even more difficult because the symptoms and their severity are all over the board.

I don't believe you'll find any books that deal only with BP2. One that comes close is called Why am I still depressed? Recognizing and Managing the Ups and Downs of Bipolar II and Soft Bipolar Disorder by Jim Phelps, M.D. It might be just what you're looking for.

Please post with comments and questions. This is a great place to get opinions and support from people who know firsthand what this disorder is all about, and those who love them.

Welcome.
Tsohl

Old 03-20-2007, 01:04 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

jgr01 HB User

Hi there,

i just popped onto NIMH myself;

"Manic-depression distorts moods and thoughts, incites dreadful behaviors, destroys the basis of rational thought, and too often erodes the desire and will to live. It is an illness that is biological in its origins, yet one that feels psychological in the experience of it; an illness that is unique in conferring advantage and pleasure, yet one that brings in its wake almost unendurable suffering and, not infrequently, suicide."

"I am fortunate that I have not died from my illness, fortunate in having received the best medical care available, and fortunate in having the friends, colleagues, and family that I do."

Kay Redfield Jamison, Ph.D., An Unquiet Mind, 1995, p. 6.
(Reprinted with permission from Alfred A. Knopf, a division of Random House, Inc.)

This is a fabulous book. I have read it.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:25 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

tsohl HB User

I agree - a fabulous book.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:30 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

michael178 HB User

The difference between the two categories is primarily in the name. Read about one of them is to read about both. E.Torrey Fuller is another prominent writer on mental illnesses. He isn't nearly as lively as Jamison, and is more factual, cover all aspects of bipolar.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:47 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

tsohl HB User

Fuller's book is the one I always use as a reference, whenever I need some facts. It is called Surviving Manic Depression: A Manual on Bipolar Disorder for Patients, Families and Providers.

When my son who was 22 at the time, told me about his diagnosis of bipolar 1, he handed me a well-worn copy of An Unquiet Mind, saying "read this." He told me it was the closest thing he'd seen that came close to expressing what he was going through and how he felt.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:05 AM   #9
(female)

chinup22 HB User

Thanks Alot For All Of The Imput. I Agree That The Only Difference Is The Manic Episodes, But Because Of The Consequences Of These Episodes, Thats What Is Written Most About. With Bipolar Two, I Haven't Experienced Those. My Goal Is To Discuss The Lifelong Effects And Experiences With Someone Who Has Had The Same Experiences With The Type Two And Hypomania. My First Marriage Lasted Almost Twenty Years. I Never Had An Affair, I Maintained The Same Job For 15 Years. I Didn't Spend Alot Or Gamble. I Was Just Depressed And Or Grumpy And Miserable Which I Tried To Keep To Myself. When Lucky, I Would Have A Period Of Time Where I Was Just On An Even Level. My Dad Was Bipolar 1, So I Know First Hand The Difference Those Episodes Can Make. Not Trying To Make One Sound Better Than The Other, (they Both Just Pure Stink), Just That They Can Be Very Different When It Comes To The Manic Episode Outcome. Out Of Curiosity, Michael178, Are You Type 1 Or 2. How About Your Son Tsohl? Thanks Again For Your Help.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:15 AM   #10
(female)

chinup22 HB User

2. What are the differences between bipolar I and bipolar II disorders?

Bipolar I disorder is characterized by episodes of mania that alternate with periods of depression or periods in which individuals have simultaneously occurring manic and depressive symptoms called mixed states. In contrast, bipolar II disorder is characterized by recurrent episodes of depression and milder symptoms of mania, called hypomania. Hypomanic episodes typically do not impair an individual's ability to function to the extent that full-blown manic episodes do Additionally, hypomanic episodes are not complicated by psychotic symptoms.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:26 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

tsohl HB User

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood your question. I do not have firsthand experience with Bipolar 2. My son was rapid cycling BPI and is stabilized by taking 3 mood stabilizers. He never had the full-blown classic mania that you read about in books.

Tsohl

Old 03-21-2007, 08:17 AM   #12
(female)

chinup22 HB User

I Can Only Imagine Your Feeling Of Helplessness. The Only Thing Worse Than Having This Condition I Think, Would Be Watching Your Child Suffer Through It. May I Ask What He Was Like As A Young Child? I Have A Three Year Old Who Can Be Happy One Minute And Full Of Pee And Vinegar The Next. I've Been Told That This Is Typical 3 Year Old Behavior. Of Course As A Mom We Constantly Prepare For The Worst And Hope For The Best. I Tend To Be A Proactive Person, So I'll Probably Play It Safe And Take Her To A Family Therapist For Eval. An Ounce Of Prevention And All That.

Last edited by chinup22; 03-21-2007 at 08:22 AM.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:05 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

tsohl HB User

In addition to exercise, you should be sure to drink plenty of water and watch the intake of sugars...and, of course, the ever-popular "avoid stress."

Since there is a genetic component to bipolarity, you will want to keep an eye on your children, but don't go overboard. Just be aware that a lot of well-meaning pediatricians may make a diagnosis of ADD/ADHD when your child MIGHT have BP. Ten years ago no one thought children could have it, but new research has proven otherwise. Depending on when a doctor did his training, he won't be watching for the symptoms of BP.

There is an excellent new book written by a man who was a grade school teacher, then a principal and then went to med school and trained to be a pediatric psychiatrist. The book is organized developmentally so you can see what problems a bipolar child would likely have at a particular age...and it goes from birth to going off to college or first job. You might find it useful as a reference book as your kids grow. Understanding the Mind of Your Bipolar Child by Gregory T. Lombardo, M.D., Ph.D.

best,
Tsohl

Old 03-21-2007, 10:17 AM   #14
(female)

chinup22 HB User

Wow! I Believe That Book Will Be My Next Purchase. Thank You.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:10 AM   #15
(female)

kwj001 HB User

I, too, am 40 and just diagnosed with BPII. Went through most of the same symptoms you did - years of treating depression that started with Postpartum after the birth of my second child - that coincided with my fathers suicide. After 12 years, 3 Psydocs - finally one realized that I was only showing up for a change in meds when things crashed. She asked a few other questions and said I showed so many signs of BP2 that she was almost positive. I've been on Lexapro the past year at 10-20 mgs daily - fairly low doses. But, through the years, I'd been on every other SSRI like Paxil, Prozac, Wellbutrin, etc. Each seemed to work for a short time and then I'd crash. Now, we are tappering off the lexapro and have added Lamictal at a slow rate. I'm 3 weeks into this new change and am taking 10mg Lexipro in the AM, and 50mg of Lamictal in AM also. Still needing 1mg of Klonopin in the afternoons or earlier if something gets to me.

I've not had any side affects from the lamictal except for yesterday when I had major menstrual type cramping. That was odd because I had a uterine ablasion last August and haven't had cramping or periods since. I've read that is a possible side affect, but so far today - so good.

I would love to stay in the hypomanic state - I get so much done. I'm in sales and am on the top of my game at work and home when I'm in that zone - but my dr wants to reduce the deep depressions that happen everytime after a hypomanic episode.

A great book she recommended I read, and I did, is Bipolar II by Ronald R. Fieve, MD. Can get it on *********** or at local bookstores.

Since this is new to me, I'd love to hear more. I've really just lurked through this board the past few weeks, but may join more in the conversations to learn others experiences.

Closed Thread