It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2007, 06:03 AM   #1
(female)

harmony06 HB User
Unhappy bipolar & binge eating

does bipolar and binge eating go hand and hand? i have a major problam with binge eating and can't seem to stop even though i know that it's killing me. due to my binge eating i'm obese, have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, kidney problems, borderline diabetes, and bone and joint problams. with all these problems you would think that i would try to lose weight. i just can't seem to help myself. i've heard somewhere that people with bp tend to have eating disorders. does anyone know if this is true. if so can my pdoc help with this? i'm really getting desperate because i can't stand being this big anymore. i'm only 5"1 and have very small bones. 5 years ago i only weighed 139 at which point i quit smoking, at that time i just ballooned out and haven't taken the weight back off. if anything i keep putting it on. could some one please give me their input on this? don't know what to do anymore. thank you in advance for your comments.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:54 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

tsohl HB User
Re: bipolar & binge eating

Hello Harmony,

In all the reading and research I've done, I have not seen this mentioned. People gain weight from some of the meds, due to an increase in appetite, but this is a different situation from binge eating. I would talk to your pdoc about it, but I would guess this would be an issue to bring up with a therapist.

Take care,
Tsohl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2007, 08:58 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

JustDave4now HB User

Yes. Bp Causes binge eating when I am off my medication it Kicks in. I will eat until i'm sick.

when off meds I crave Carbs , bread, icecream, chocolate, all sweets. It's Very Powerful and hard to Control.

On meds fine, NO Cravings, its a manic thing for me and very Common. My Doc say's he see's it all the time.

Last edited by JustDave4now; 03-26-2007 at 08:59 AM.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:12 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

jgr01 HB User

Hi there,

well, i'm more in agreement with Tsohl. I only experience binge eating when i'm on high doses of my meds (Depakote 2000mg). When i was only on 750mg i was hypo all the time and only drank, never had enough time for eating and was like a stick. Now i don't really drink but i do crave carbs, chocolate, anything sweet all the time. I have always had an issue with food though. Since i was an injured athlete when i was a teenager and put on a load of weight because i didn't change from my training to a non-training diet. So i always see myself as fat whatever i do even though retrospect and my wardrobe tells me i have been VERY thin.

I should speak to a therapist if i was you.

x

Old 03-27-2007, 02:59 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

JustDave4now HB User

Harmony,
Here is some information that might help you out that I took right from a book I am reading on the subject.

The manic phase may last from days to months and include the following symptoms:

Elevated mood
Racing thoughts
Hyperactivity
Increased energy
Lack of self-control
Inflated self-esteem (delusions of grandeur, false beliefs in special abilities)
Over-involvement in activities
Reckless behavior
Spending sprees
Binge eating, drinking, and/or drug use
Sexual promiscuity
Impaired judgment
Tendency to be easily distracted
Little need for sleep
Easily agitated or irritated
Poor temper control

It's a symptom friend, and can be treated. don't beat yourself up about it, treat it, thats the great thing about treatment, it can fix these things.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:16 AM   #6
(female)

munchie11 HB User

I first started eating heaps when I was put on Zyprexa. Put on heaps of weight. I havn't been able to take it off, coz everytime I have a down day I eat and eat. If I'm doing well I eat pretty healthy.

Munchiexxxxxxxxxx

Old 03-27-2007, 11:19 AM   #7
(female)

InShambles HB User

I am an unmedicated bipolar II, and it is definately a symptom of mania for me.
When I'm hypomanic I go between fasting for days and binge eating (mostly carbs as has been mentioned). This is in no way like my normal eating patern where I eat one or two at most, small balanced meals a day. Good luck hun, I think it is a very good idea to atleast mention this to your pdoc, it can't hurt.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:17 AM   #8
(female)

harmony06 HB User
Post Re: bipolar & binge eating

thank you everyone for your support. i'm taking 1000mg of depakote & 100mg of lamictal daily. i have heard tha depakote tends to make you gain weight but i thought that was at higher doses. i do have a couple symtoms of hypomanic, but only the lack of self control and the binge eating, and the tendency to be easily distracted. but thats it. i have been taking my meds religisly (spelled wrong) since i started them. the problem other then eating i don't seem to be doing anything else. i sit around all day and think about food, i don't excercise, work, spend time with people. i have filled out an application for volenteer work so hopefully i'll be hearing from them. that may help me a bit, get me out of the house and meeting people. give me something else to think about.
but back to the weight issue i had lost 46lbs just before starting the depakote. it took me about five months to lose it. now its taken me about two months to gain most of it back. how discouraging. i will deffinitly speak to my pdoc about it, i have an appointment comming up next week.

i have also asked my pdoc about setting me up with a therapist and he said that he would, but that was two months ago and i haven't heard anything back yet. is this something that i should be doing myself or is it something that i'm supposed to wait for my pdoc to do. i just think that if i could see someone in between visits to him then maybe i could get myself under better control.

thanks again everyone for your posts, and sorry about being so long winded. i have all these things going through my mind and i have to let it out somewhere. this seemed like the right place. well take care yall

Old 03-28-2007, 07:42 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

Hi, Harmony I think that you are doing the right thing by speaking with your pdoc about this. I, too, am wondering what is going on with my daughter lately. She is on Lamictal and Seroquel....the pdoc increased the Seroquel 2 weeks ago for increased agitatation and my daughter is now engulfing food like crazy. She also is having problems with self control in terms of lying to us and bringing vodka to school, behaviors that were evident before she was medicated and in a hypomanic state.

Soooo....I am not sure if this is a result of the med and/or a result of impending hypomania. So I would be extremely interested in seeing what you and your pdoc come up with.

I sure hope that you and your pdoc come up with an alternative plan to help you out with this.

Wishing you well ~ Goody

Last edited by goody2shuz; 03-28-2007 at 07:43 AM.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:58 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

tsohl HB User

Hi Harmony,

I would be curious to see what others say about finding a therapist on your own. Sometimes your choices are restricted by insurance issues and sometimes by the pdocs. Sometimes they have therapists that just work "for" them, and if you're not a patient of the pdoc, you can't see the therapist. Sometimes a pdoc will have a particular "style" and thus, feels a particular therapist best compliments what he's doing.

I personally think you should try to find one on your own. Perhaps your pdoc might make some recommendations. Have I talked to you about NAMI? (I apologize for being too lazy to go back through all your posts....) I would suggest you call the number for the group that is near where you live and ask if they have a list of recommended therapists that treat clients with BP. Also, if you are looking for reasons to leave the house, you might want to attend some of their activities. They run support groups as well as educational programs and workshops. Even if you don't want to attend on a regular basis, it would be a good place to meet others with similar interests and to learn about other resources in your area.

The other thing to remember is that you don't have to regard therapy as a long-term necessity, unless you want it to be. Often people will go for a period of time, and then they don't need to go any longer. This is a very individual decision. You should continue on with the pdoc...but it isn't necessary with therapy, unless you wish to continue.

Take care,
Tsohl

Old 03-30-2007, 03:08 PM   #11
(female)

mentalmom HB User

Ah, bipolar disorder and weight issues. A match made in hell. I've been diagnosed with bipolar for about 12 years now and I've been on a LOT of different medications over the years.

What I've found is that weight gain is a side effect of a LOT of bipolar meds and antidepressants. It sucks. I was just at my psychiatrist this past week and I was telling him "it's a battle: weight gain on one hand and feeling good on the other." Hmmm.. wonder which one I chose? I'm on Lithium, Lamictal, Thorazine and I also have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis so my weight gain is tied to that as well.

It's so hard and I can totally relate to you. I gained about 27 pounds just from the Lithium alone. I have been on that since October 2006. It seems almost impossible to lose weight despite my efforts. That is discouraging. One thing that I always look at with weight loss is that when I'm dieting at least it's keeping me from gaining more! That helps mentally a bit.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:38 PM   #12
(female)

harmony06 HB User

thank you for replying, i can't wait to see my pdoc to talk to him about this,because i swear that i must have gained at least ten pounds since the last time i saw him. he is going to have to change my meds because i refuse to continue on something that is making me gain weight. i had lost forty six lbs, and have gained most of it back. i really hate myself at this weight. makes me wonder whats worse, the mood swings of bipolar or being totaly depressed due to your weight. something needs to give. the meds will just have to go. sorry i don't mean to go on like this but i'm really stressed out about this right now.

it's nice to know that i do have a place to go where others understand some of the things that i'm going through. the real problem is that i'm finally feeling better on the depakote but i don't like the trade off.

i'm rambling again, thanks for all your responses. i will keep you posted on what happens, but i don't see my pdoc until next friday.

gotta go for now, hope you all are doing well, and hanging in there.

Old 03-31-2007, 03:05 AM   #13
(female)

MSLAINIE HB User

Hi Harmony06
My Son On Respidal And Depakot Gained 80 And His Hormones Were So Off He Developed Female Chest. After I Told Psy Doc To Take Him Off Respidal And Changed To Abilify He Lost Half Of Gained And His Hormone Level Was Normal. Now He Still Is Upset Over His Weight But He Has A 13 Men Shoe And Is Only 16. He Is Close To 6 Feet So I Try To Guide Him On Right Foods. Now My Daughter Has Always Been Over Weigh She Is 5 7 , 13 3/4 And 280lbs. She Is Adhd Was On Concerta And That Was Suppose To Help Her Loose It Never Did. But Now They Put Her On Topamax For Vertigo And Her Adhd And She Is More Active And Lost Weight, So Everyone Different.
But Bottom Line I Know Both My Kids Binge And When I Am Depressed Or Lost Or Lonely I Do Too And I Am Not Bipolar.
Good Luck,
Mslainie

Old 03-31-2007, 08:45 PM   #14
(male)

nednj36 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmony06 View Post
does bipolar and binge eating go hand and hand? i have a major problam with binge eating and can't seem to stop even though i know that it's killing me. due to my binge eating i'm obese, have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, kidney problems, borderline diabetes, and bone and joint problams. with all these problems you would think that i would try to lose weight. i just can't seem to help myself. i've heard somewhere that people with bp tend to have eating disorders. does anyone know if this is true. if so can my pdoc help with this? i'm really getting desperate because i can't stand being this big anymore. i'm only 5"1 and have very small bones. 5 years ago i only weighed 139 at which point i quit smoking, at that time i just ballooned out and haven't taken the weight back off. if anything i keep putting it on. could some one please give me their input on this? don't know what to do anymore. thank you in advance for your comments.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:58 PM   #15
(female)

harmony06 HB User

hello mslainie

thank you for responding, it means alot that people take interest and try and help each other. maybe my weight gain has nothing to do with bp or my meds, maybe i'm just looking for something to blame it on. i just know that i had lost forty six pounds and then i was put on depakote, from there i started gaining it back, i have gained at least twenty of it back. i now don't dare to step on the scale.

i realize alot of people have problems with binge eating and there's alot of people out there with eating disorders, and i know that they don't all have bipolar. i guess i just need to get myself under control.

i wish you and your two children well, and hope that you can help them to control their binge eating before it gets to out of hand.

Closed Thread