It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2007, 02:39 PM   #1
(female)

Andrea93789 HB User
Cool Newcomer/ Hello to All

Hello to all those supportive people Ive just been reading about. To enter this site is a major step in acknowledging that I cannot hide away from my Bi-polar anymore. I first became Ill at the age of 34 and was later diagnosed with Bi-Polar 3 years ago. You see, I was a highly experienced Mental Health Nurse for 17 years, and even after all my experience and training, I stigmatised and placed myself on the 'Scrap Heap'. I took early retirement 2 years ago, and since then, I have hidden myself away. My CPN,who was once a close working Colleague of mine, came to see me tonight and made me see that that I have a wealth of experience to offer and could help others just like myself. So my first step was to Register on this site. I was so comforted to learn that I'm not alone and there are People that can truly appreciate the difficuties of living with Bi Polar. So if anyone ever needs any advice os support you can count on me. Time I stopped wallowing in my own self pity. Thankyou all

Old 04-23-2007, 03:24 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User
Re: Newcomer/ Hello to All

Hi, Andrea Just wanted to welcome you aboard!!! I for one am glad that you are here!! I have a 15 year old daughter who was just diagnosed this past year. It has been some rollercoaster ride and I have learned an awful lot from both sides of the spectrum here.

I also have a medical background in Pediatrics but this Bipolar is a whole different can of worms!!! My daughter is on Seroquel and Lamictal....we had some hypomania breakthrough since my brother's health has declined....she seems to have been triggered by losses in her life and I am sure that has alot to do with what is going on with her now. the pdoc increased her Seroquel and we are increasing by 50mgs/day each week until we see some improvement. I think that we may have to have an afternoon dose since when she walks into the door from school we experience the most frustration/agitation. Right now we are on 200mgs in the am and 300mgs in the pm. We are working on stabilization. Anything you can share with us would be quite welcome....I have no idea what to expect in my daughter's future. The whole thing has knocked the wind out of us but we have come to realize that learning as much as we can about BP is essential to supporting our daughter. And that is why I am here and as I learn I go on to share it with others. It's a great place to seek support as well as offer it to others.

I am glad you are here and hope that you get as much from this board as I have.

Looking forward to seeing more of you around here.

(((HUGS))) ~ Goody

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2007, 03:56 PM   #3
(female)

colleen617 HB User
Smile Re: Newcomer/ Hello to All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea68 View Post
Hello to all those supportive people Ive just been reading about. To enter this site is a major step in acknowledging that I cannot hide away from my Bi-polar anymore. I first became Ill at the age of 34 and was later diagnosed with Bi-Polar 3 years ago. You see, I was a highly experienced Mental Health Nurse for 17 years, and even after all my experience and training, I stigmatised and placed myself on the 'Scrap Heap'. I took early retirement 2 years ago, and since then, I have hidden myself away. My CPN,who was once a close working Colleague of mine, came to see me tonight and made me see that that I have a wealth of experience to offer and could help others just like myself. So my first step was to Register on this site. I was so comforted to learn that I'm not alone and there are People that can truly appreciate the difficuties of living with Bi Polar. So if anyone ever needs any advice os support you can count on me. Time I stopped wallowing in my own self pity. Thankyou all
Hello to you, Andrea!!

It is definitely difficult to be diagnosed and live with bp. It is also especially hard to face the stigma within and outside ourselves. I am middle-aged professional diagnosed approx. 15+ years ago.

Hang in there!

Old 04-24-2007, 05:15 PM   #4
(female)

BPBDPCO HB User

Hi peoples, I am new to.

I am 19 and recently diagnosed although my first major depressive eppisode occurred when I was 10 or 11. although I belive my father, aunt, and now deceased grandfather have/had the disorder, I am the first to be diagnosed (we have some sort of freakish form). I began treatment a few months ago (Lamictal) and have seen some improvement. If I can be of help with the disease from a teenage perspective don't hesitate. Also I Was wondering what her manic/depressive ratio is and what specific manic symptoms are experienced? Lamictal helped with some depression first, then the irritablility part of the mania. though all symptoms still persist, I am just glad to go to class without having warning my teachers that I might flip out.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:32 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

emeraldeyes114 HB User

Welcome to the boards. It is nice to see someone who has things to share, a hug or two if needed, and that has joined this little family (actually not so little).

Eme

Closed Thread