It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2007, 12:44 PM   #1
(female)

CA 2 NJ HB User
Exclamation What Are The Best Meds For Bipolar I Mixed/Anxiety/Borderline?

Hi all. I am about to go see a new Psychiatrist and would like to know what worked for those of you out there with a similar diagnosis. That way I may have some input for the Doc as I like to have some knowledge in what they are prescribing before agreeing to take it as I've been down this road many times before and have taken many things.

I know there's a right combo for me out there somewhere, I just have yet to find it. So I would like to hear from people who actually have experience in dealing with taking (not just prescribing) these meds so I'm a little more informed.

Please I ask for your help as I have been dealing with "being sick" my whole life and I finally want to be able to lead a somewhat normal life. So far I have yet to do that because I went so long without being properly diagnosed and was given SSRIs and SNRIs without Xanax or Mood Stabilizers.

I apologize for this being so long it's just I am so desperate and really need someone's help. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Old 05-25-2007, 01:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dee-nah HB User
Re: What Are The Best Meds For Bipolar I Mixed/Anxiety/Borderline?

Hello,

Just wanted to start out by saying what works for me may not work for you, everyone reacts differently to each med!

I have the samething as you BP 1/Anxiety/Borderline, I also have PTSD as well. Right now I'm on Tegretol, Trazadone, Lithium and Xanax my pdoc is still playing with the mgs for Tegretol and Lithium. I've tried Abilfy, didn't like how it made me feel inside, Lamictal, I got a nasty rash... Prozac and Lexapro made me maniac (anti depressants) and Remeron wasn't doing anything for me.

And PLEASE since you are Borderline as well definitely make it a point to go to your Therapist and Pdoc, it's soooo important.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2007, 02:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

CarenR HB User

I have Bi-polar 1... and I take Zyprexa.... it is very expensive and one can gain weight on it easily. I have to watch everything I eat so not to gain weight. most modern meds have side- affects.(Bi-polar meds_)But i feel so good on this drug. not depressed and not high..(manic)

Old 05-25-2007, 03:48 PM   #4
(female)

nightangel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarenR View Post
I have Bi-polar 1... and I take Zyprexa.... it is very expensive and one can gain weight on it easily. I have to watch everything I eat so not to gain weight. most modern meds have side- affects.(Bi-polar meds_)But i feel so good on this drug. not depressed and not high..(manic)

Old 05-25-2007, 03:52 PM   #5
(female)

nightangel HB User

Hi Karen. What you're describing sounds like my husband's depression. His regimin is Eskalith, Imipramine, and Cymbalta. We see the same Psychiatrist, and what he prescribed for my husband worked like a charm. I, on the other hand, am very difficult to treat. My psychiatrist said I could be the poster child for Doctor Conferences for hard to treat patients. He's tried me on virtually EVERYTHING, the latest being Emsam, which I've used for a month. I believe it's helping.

None of us can really say what will work for you because our bodies are all different, but what you described sounds SO MUCH like my husband's symptoms I just thought I'd let you know, but I'm not trying to play doctor. ~smile~ Best wishes to you.

nightangel

Old 05-25-2007, 07:27 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Dantheinsane HB User

Just like someone else said, meds are individual, that don't work the same for other people. They also work differently with different ages, like teens to adults to senior citizens. Most of us are using combinations of meds.

The best med for you is the one that works. Sad thing is if you are like me you are always trying new mixtures looking for this stupid med.

I loved Lamitcal but hated the rash because of Stevens-Johnsons Syndrome.

I loved Risperdal but hate my tardive deskensia (sp?).

I have been taking Lithium, the most widely prescribed drug for BD.

Tegretol gives me an awful stomach ache.

None of these will matter with you again.

Old 05-26-2007, 12:27 PM   #7
(female)

nightangel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantheinsane View Post
Just like someone else said, meds are individual, that don't work the same for other people. They also work differently with different ages, like teens to adults to senior citizens. Most of us are using combinations of meds.

The best med for you is the one that works. Sad thing is if you are like me you are always trying new mixtures looking for this stupid med.

I loved Lamitcal but hated the rash because of Stevens-Johnsons Syndrome.

I loved Risperdal but hate my tardive deskensia (sp?).

I have been taking Lithium, the most widely prescribed drug for BD.

Tegretol gives me an awful stomach ache.

None of these will matter with you again.

Old 05-26-2007, 12:39 PM   #8
(female)

nightangel HB User

~smile~ You sound like you're as hard to treat as I am! Why is it that some people find the right thing quickly, and others, like me go through MANY years with little or no relief? I haven't been classified as BP, although approximately a year ago, I had a spell of feeling "wired", and couldn't sleep for days, but didn't care (in a way). I talked fast, had racing thoughts, spent money I normally wouldn't. When I told my Psychiatrist, he said it "smacks of "mania", which I didn't like to hear. He changed the term he used to something more acceptable to my ears, but I forget what it was now. He put me on something, (forget what), but it didn't agree with me. After the episode was over, I never experienced it again. I *think I may have brought it on by playing around with my meds. Periodically I go into a deeper depression, and while not actively trying to commit suicide, I know that I do foolish things. I always tell my Dr. what I do and when I do it. We correspond via e-mail. I INFURIATE him, at times, and he lets me know it, but he's told me there are no "deal breakers", which makes me feel secure. He's become a sort of security blanket. Pardon my ramblings.

nightangel

Old 05-26-2007, 01:56 PM   #9
(female)

nightangel HB User

When my husband went to a Therapist for the first time for PTSD after being beaten up in prison (he was a correctional officer), her advice for both of us was EXERCIZE. After nearly 20 years, we've been treated with meds and been given many prescriptions, but I sometimes wonder what it would have been like if we'd done that simple thing. Our psychiatrist sometimes mentions it. My husband is not healthy enough and I'm going through menopause and have always detested sweating--makes me feel yucky like melting silly putty. Ugh! I feel I get enough exercise working, but evidently not because I'm still overweight. ~sigh~ Anyway, just a thought and a question to see if anyone has gone the "no med" way of excercise and how it worked for them.

nightangel

Old 06-30-2007, 05:44 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

Dantheinsane HB User

Nightangel, sorry for the long wait in responding to your posts. I never could find my posts prior to today. Today, I used the search link and it worked. This may not be big for anyone else, but for me it is a very big deal.

You were talking about buying things you didn't need and with money you don't have, that is my middle name. I used to think drugs and alcohol was it, but I got sober. I tried sex with my wonderful wife, and that is only great when I am in my hypersex drive. It isn't great for her then though. But shopping.....I could do that until the cows come home. I love to charge with money I don't have, especially in an electronics store or homedepot.

I have been wondering why I have gone through so many meds, it is making me sick and depressed thinking about it. My first couple of antidepressants were great for a few years, but nothing has been that good since.

Except my Trazodone, 300mg nightly. That has been nice but I think it makes me much more depressed during the day.

Closed Thread