It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2007, 09:22 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimom HB User
Drinking and bi-polar meds

Can someone tell me exactly how bad it is to drink or use marijuana while on bi-polar meds. Are you better off not taking the meds if you are going to drink?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2007, 10:38 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

luckygem13 HB User
Re: Drinking and bi-polar meds

If you are on Lithium you would not want to get dehydrated. Drinking alcohol dehydrates you so keep that in mind. If you are battling drinking/smoking desires I personally would not recommend lithium but maybe something that is a little less easy to OD on. With lithium there is such a fine line beetween a therapeutic dose and an OD.

Be careful sweetie!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2007, 02:00 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

JasonFMX HB User

I'm no doctor but from personal experiences in the things I've seen, drinking when your bipolar ESPEICALLY when your on meds is about the worst thing you want to do. Not only can the alcohol counteract the medications to begin with but the alcohol with negatively react with your already off balanced brain chemicals. Its just a big no no by the way I see it. Some of the worst Bipolar stories told are when the person was drinking........unfortunately I've seen some.

same goes with MJ, dont ever take any other medications unless you absolutely have to and its advised by your doctor.

I actually read something on yahoo answers once about a girl who was on seroquel, adderall, and lexapro and she was asking why when she took XTC it didnt do anything. She then said how her friends took one pill and were great and it felt nothing to her so she took two more...like they were pez. I hear stories like that and honeslty dont know why some people ever even seek help to begin with, if your going to abuse and disrespect yourself by taking street drugs for recreational use then your wasting the physicians time when they could be helping people that actually need and want it.

Last edited by JasonFMX; 05-31-2007 at 02:01 AM.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:18 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

AussieTam HB User

I totally agree with Jason.

Alcohol: Go easy, keep it to within moderation. If I were to go overboard on my meds, I would have seizures apparently. These are some hardcore psychiatric meds we take here, people, let's not mess with them!

Marijuana: DON'T DON'T DON'T. My Dad used to take MJ a number of times with Lithium and it MADE HIM MANIC. Do not do this!!

Old 05-31-2007, 07:41 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

4support HB User

Hi Friends...

My husband is BP and because of a string of isolated incidents with drinking, he has just recently seen the light on...maybe he shouldn't drink while taking his meds...he is currently on lithium, adderall, and just started lamictal. Yet, he still thinks he can have "a few" and be fine. The truth is, I notice a difference in him everytime he drinks and the last few episodes he had more than enough to drink and ended up manic. Now everytime we're around alcohol, I find myself worrying about how much he will drink and if everything will be OK. If I were in his shoes, I would simply not drink...knowing that it's not a good mix with the medications, and knowing that the end behaviour wouldn't be worth it...but I am not my husband and he is going to make his own decisions.

My question is...

How much alcohol does it take to make the medicines ineffective? can he have a couple of beers, or does it take a lot? the incidents we've had are when he's had way more than enough.

I just don't see him avoiding alcohol altogether, at least not now.

As the wife, any tinkering with the meds (especially if they are working well) makes me nervous!

Thanks!
4support

Old 05-31-2007, 10:47 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimom HB User

Thanks guys, You know it's not me with the bi-polar? I am skiMOM. It's the 21 year old son. I am just trying to get information to deal with him since I think he does drink and do mj. It is a very frustrating situation. He thinks that all he needs is a sleeping pill and he will be fine. Actually, all I have seen him do in the last 24 hours is sleep and that is w/o sleeping pills. We are going to the pdoc today. He may need to self-destruct again to seek help and I may need to be strong enough to watch that happen. Thank you for your replies.

Old 05-31-2007, 12:12 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

JasonFMX HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4support View Post
Hi Friends...

My husband is BP and because of a string of isolated incidents with drinking, he has just recently seen the light on...maybe he shouldn't drink while taking his meds...he is currently on lithium, adderall, and just started lamictal. Yet, he still thinks he can have "a few" and be fine. The truth is, I notice a difference in him everytime he drinks and the last few episodes he had more than enough to drink and ended up manic. Now everytime we're around alcohol, I find myself worrying about how much he will drink and if everything will be OK. If I were in his shoes, I would simply not drink...knowing that it's not a good mix with the medications, and knowing that the end behaviour wouldn't be worth it...but I am not my husband and he is going to make his own decisions.

My question is...

How much alcohol does it take to make the medicines ineffective? can he have a couple of beers, or does it take a lot? the incidents we've had are when he's had way more than enough.

I just don't see him avoiding alcohol altogether, at least not now.

As the wife, any tinkering with the meds (especially if they are working well) makes me nervous!

Thanks!
4support
this..amoungst many other reasons is why the divorce rate for people with at least one Bipolar person in the marraige has a 70% divorce rate. Its just impossible to deal with people sometimes. Everytime I read something like this I get both depressed and frustrated myself....and I dont even know you ! You just want to smack people sometimes and say, "LISTEN IDIOT YOU HAVE A PROBLEM, YOU CANT DRINK, YES IT DOES MAKE YOU WORSE" but it will never get through to them. So your path is clear, you either keep hammering at them which is basically gambling that someday they will see the light of day and listen to you or you leave them becuase you can't handle it anymore and tread lightly in your next relationship

But if you want a real answer to your question.... ask his doctor. My personal opinion to the question"how many drinks can he have?" would be big fat ZERO....but the doctor has a better answer.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:04 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

luckygem13 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonFMX View Post
this..amoungst many other reasons is why the divorce rate for people with at least one Bipolar person in the marraige has a 70% divorce rate. Its just impossible to deal with people sometimes. Everytime I read something like this I get both depressed and frustrated myself....and I dont even know you ! You just want to smack people sometimes and say, "LISTEN IDIOT YOU HAVE A PROBLEM, YOU CANT DRINK, YES IT DOES MAKE YOU WORSE" but it will never get through to them. So your path is clear, you either keep hammering at them which is basically gambling that someday they will see the light of day and listen to you or you leave them becuase you can't handle it anymore and tread lightly in your next relationship

But if you want a real answer to your question.... ask his doctor. My personal opinion to the question"how many drinks can he have?" would be big fat ZERO....but the doctor has a better answer.

Impossible to deal with......exactly, UNLESS you find a way to deal with the impossible. I have lots of friends and lots of escapes and retreats all set up....I either go out and "escape" or "hibernate" until he becomes posssible to deal with. I do this because I love him and I am the mother of his only children. It's OK to love a bipolar alcoholic.....just don't enable.

Skimom, Your son is VERY young so please do watch extra close. Luvya...and I'll keep an eye out for you on the slopes ; )

Old 06-01-2007, 06:10 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

AussieTam HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonFMX View Post

Each person is going to be different. In my case, my pdoc said it was okay if I had one or two drinks, because a) small amounts will be okay and b) he knows I am committed to managing my bipolar disorder. I find, actually, that my meds make me NOT want to drink - I feel sick when I drink so I literally drink one or two and don't want more.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:25 AM   #10
(female)

trumpetav HB User

I'm currently taking Seroquel 300(?)mg, Depakote ER 1500 mg, Sertraline (Zoloft) 25mg, and 1-2mg of lorazepam (Ativan) for basically anxiety, depression, BPD, and Bipolar disorders. The Seroquel is the most recent addition to the psychopharmaceutical cocktail, and has known to make me extremely tired -- it the beginning, I also suffered from extreme dizziness. Anyway, the drinking this has been a problem, I've just recently come to realize again (perhaps after turning the legal age of 21 and getting sick for the first time)...I used to be able to drink toxic amounts without getting sick at all -- obviously such results resulting in me feeling pretty damn special. Ok, I was in denial. Thing is, one of my best friends just turned 21 -- yet ANOTHER excuse to drink (not that such is necessary anyway). ::sigh:: I want to drink, but I'm kinda afraid it'll make me sick, which it did in that only .01% chance recently (sigh) -- I just want to drink!! Guess the fact that I feel myself going hypo manic isn't helping manners either. Sometimes I'll take an Ativan or 2, but I can't right now because I have job responsibilities :'( I feel like I'm looooosing control. Ugh, sooooo sick...it's almost as if somewhere deep in my psyche I WANT to lose control and I WANT to be bad. H E L P P L E A S E

Old 06-02-2007, 05:16 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

AussieTam HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetav View Post
I'm currently taking Seroquel 300(?)mg, Depakote ER 1500 mg, Sertraline (Zoloft) 25mg, and 1-2mg of lorazepam (Ativan) for basically anxiety, depression, BPD, and Bipolar disorders. The Seroquel is the most recent addition to the psychopharmaceutical cocktail, and has known to make me extremely tired -- it the beginning, I also suffered from extreme dizziness. Anyway, the drinking this has been a problem, I've just recently come to realize again (perhaps after turning the legal age of 21 and getting sick for the first time)...I used to be able to drink toxic amounts without getting sick at all -- obviously such results resulting in me feeling pretty damn special. Ok, I was in denial. Thing is, one of my best friends just turned 21 -- yet ANOTHER excuse to drink (not that such is necessary anyway). ::sigh:: I want to drink, but I'm kinda afraid it'll make me sick, which it did in that only .01% chance recently (sigh) -- I just want to drink!! Guess the fact that I feel myself going hypo manic isn't helping manners either. Sometimes I'll take an Ativan or 2, but I can't right now because I have job responsibilities :'( I feel like I'm looooosing control. Ugh, sooooo sick...it's almost as if somewhere deep in my psyche I WANT to lose control and I WANT to be bad. H E L P P L E A S E
Trumpetav, I know how you feel, I really do. I used to seriously abuse alcohol when I was manic, and boy was I proud of how much I could drink. To give you an idea, about a year ago, I drank four bottles of wine, vodka and other miscellany in one night. Toxic is the word, all right, and it was not pretty. I am a girl, and that amount could kill some women. Scary.

I know that mood you describe sooo well - just wanting to lose control and just let the mania sweep you up in a tide of beautiful destruction. I no longer want to drink (because of the crazy things I said/did and how damn sick I got), but I still know that feeling, the bipolar whispering in my ear ... "hey AussieTam, stop taking your meds ... stop taaaaaaking your meeeeeds and we can have some fun!" ... you have to appreciate, trumpetav, that this is all part of the illness. It is manipulative and deceptive. You need to take the simple words of advice my father (also bipolar) gave me: Stay Strong. Don't drink, don't let your hypomania take you over. Go and seek medical attention sweetie, and get well!!

Last edited by AussieTam; 06-02-2007 at 05:17 AM. Reason: Whoops, punctuation

Old 06-17-2007, 01:28 PM   #12
(female)

trumpetav HB User

Thanks so much, Aussie, for your words of wisdom -- it means a lot to hear others experience and to know that I'm not alone...I appreciate your empathy.

Closed Thread