It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2007, 08:45 AM   #1
(female)

2fast HB User
Question Lexapro...Is it worth the sexual side effect?

I was on Lexapro a couple of years ago, it really seemed to help me. The sexual side effect anorgasmia, which is not lack of libido, but inability to have an O , caused me to stop taking it. Has anyone else experienced this PROBLEM with Lexapro? I am now on Lamictal 300mg, Wellbutrin XL 300mg, and Geodon 20mg, (BP with very explosive episodes, ADHD and OCD traits). It's really too bad because I felt so good on Lexapro (when I wasn't feeling ). I am a rapid cycler and I don't feel that my episodes (VERY EXPLOSIVE) are any less frequent, maybe just shorter lived. I had been on Geodon 40mg twice/day but HAD to stop because I was a ZOMBIE AND HALF! I fell asleep at work (actually my Unit Manager told me to go sleep because I looked so out of it). When I told my psychotherapist how I felt about my continuing episodes and she suggested Lithium saying that it's the best thing for this and rapid cycling. She is avoiding putting me on it because of weight gain (self esteem issue) and the frequent blood work that needs to be done. I've been taking Lamictal and Wellbutrin for about a year and started back on 20 mg of Geodon last week. I also started taking POPS/"mini pill" (progestin only birth control) last week, as well. Yesterday at work I had a pretty rough time. I was in the med room (I am an RN...on a locked behavioral unit...ironic huh? ) crying for no reason for about an hour and when I was finished crying, had a VERY short fuse for the rest of the day. I'm assuming it's just starting back on G. and starting the pill. I can turn into a real freak when my hormones are wacky.
Well, back to the whole point of this post (racing thoughts, can you tell? ). Do you think a female enhancing (is that what it's called? It sounds like a commercial) med/herb/anything would help while taking Lexapro (or any med with sexual side effects)? I'd really like to take the Lexapro again, as would my boyfriend and my family, they noticed a BIG difference in me for the BETTER when I was on it.
Any input/advice would be very much appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2007, 11:13 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

luckygem13 HB User
Re: Lexapro...Is it worth the sexual side effect?

I did very well on Lexapro (and Xanax for anxiety) but did not like the side effects of weight gain, trouble sleeping, and anorgasmia (new word for me, LOL). I am now using the new MAOI patch called Emsam and I love it...no side effects other than I drink more alcohol than I should, which for some reason I do with all antidepressants.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:35 AM   #3
(female)

2fast HB User
Question Re: Lexapro...Is it worth the sexual side effect?

I was started on Zoloft 50mg yesterday after discussing (again) with my psychotherapist how well the Lexapro worked for me but had very frustrating sexual side effects. My Dr. said it should make me feel as good and work as well as the Lexapro did for me without the sexual side effects. Has anyone been on both of these to be able to make a comparison? I want to feel the way I did when I was on the Lex.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:39 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

martavee HB User

Well personally I've only ever taken Lexapro on it's own in the past before I knew I was BP. Actually I have been prescribed it twice. Once back in 2001 and recently this past December/January. Of all the SSRI's this one I had the worst reaction too. We're talking not just manic but a mixed episode and psychosis. I was constantly aroused, but had anorgasmia. With Zoloft I also had anorgasmia but wasn't as agitated and didn't experience psychosis. Again, for the record, I was not on a mood stabilizer at the time and only was on a SSRI.

As for birth control. In the past whenever I have taken ortho-tricyclen it would throw me into a depression or mixed state. In addition I'd experience weight gain, nausea, binge eating and a decreased interest in sex!

Old 06-15-2007, 10:16 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

luckygem13 HB User

I've been on both and they both had just about the same sexual side effect for me. I had a higher sex drive with Zoloft but Zoloft put me into mania, I was only on Zoloft though, no mood stabilizer.

Old 06-15-2007, 03:46 PM   #6
(female)

2fast HB User

I took the first dose of Zoloft this morning and I feel WEIRD. My muscles and jaw are TENSE, I've been clenching my teeth all day, I can't relax my muscles, my hands have been shaking all day, and I've felt like I couldn't catch my breath. I had a c__e problem a few years back and I feel very much like I did back then. I CAN NOT sit still. I have PRN Ativan that I actually thought about taking!! Did this happen to you when you first started on it and will these "strung out" feelings eventually go away?

Old 06-15-2007, 05:23 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

luckygem13 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast View Post
I took the first dose of Zoloft this morning and I feel WEIRD. My muscles and jaw are TENSE, I've been clenching my teeth all day, I can't relax my muscles, my hands have been shaking all day, and I've felt like I couldn't catch my breath. I had a c__e problem a few years back and I feel very much like I did back then. I CAN NOT sit still. I have PRN Ativan that I actually thought about taking!! Did this happen to you when you first started on it and will these "strung out" feelings eventually go away?
Those feelings never went away, I was super hyper, up all night.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:10 PM   #8
(female)

2fast HB User

Luckygem13, you don't take it anymore, right?

Old 06-15-2007, 06:38 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

luckygem13 HB User

Right. Now I take Emsam and Xanax, I am not bipolar.

Old 06-17-2007, 06:36 PM   #10
(female)

tiffb01 HB User

I am on Zoloft as we speak and all of those symptoms you are saying you have I have the same and the worse part of it is the not being able to sleep and wanting to cry but cant and also it sometimes seems you are more depressed on the meds than before you start taking it.

Old 06-17-2007, 06:42 PM   #11
(female)

tiffb01 HB User

Well it is the opposite with me I started on Zoloft and my doctor switched me to Lexapro for what reason I don't know because I am very pleased with the Zoloft but the Lexapro dont do anything for me but make me more sad than I felt when I was not on any meds.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:59 AM   #12
(female)

Megn80 HB User

I'm currently on Lexapro and I love it but i'm having some sexual difficulties. I know alot of people take Wellbutrin with it and it's suppose to help with the sexual stuff.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:35 AM   #13
(female)

2fast HB User

Tiffb01,
It's funny that you mention not being able to cry on Zoloft, I was just talking to a co-worker yesterday who was on Z and said the same thing. I'm already feeling better and (knock on wood) no sexual side effects.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:49 AM   #14
(female)

2fast HB User

Megn80,
That's interesting, I am on Wellbutrin 300mg XL and so far I'm not having any sexual side effects. Maybe if I was on Well. when I was on the Lex., I wouldn't have had the side effects.??

Old 06-19-2007, 07:25 AM   #15
(female)

Megn80 HB User

I know alot of people who have added the Wellbutrin and have gotten excellent results from it. I have some Wellbutrin here and i'm starting to think I might want to take that also. I just hate to have to add on another medication but if it'll help I think i'm all for it.

Closed Thread