It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2007, 08:31 PM   #1
(female)

froggyfog HB User
Unhappy 17 yr Old...Hormones or Bi-Polar

My 17 yr old is driving me crazy. Alittle of a year ago she was yelling at us telling my husband and myself she was not going to school. She was mad all the time and would scream at little things that most people would not even be upset about.....Well, after gettting her to the doctors she was DX with depression and gave some anti-depressive meds(she flushed down the toilet, because " I don't need them") She also seen a psychritist who dx her with "Oppositional Definant Conduct Disorder". After many counsleing sessions and a summer of growing up she was doing very good until recently......

She had dropped out of college, got her GED and worked for about a month at a fast food resturant(quit because her boyfriend quit). She also went to the community college and took two classes (one she failed and the other we still don't know about).

Well she was wanting to go away for college this fall. She realizes she messed up before but "promises" us she will study this time. So I take her to a college about 45 mins away(she wanted to go somewhere not to far). She was all exitced and wanted to stay at the on campus apartments....she has been wanting her freedom....me and my husband thought it would be a good idea to let her get a little freedom(plus I was probably subconciously wanting her out of the house because of the stress she causes). Well she was very excited singing and dancing in the car seat on the way home...

Fast forward 2 days....out of the blue she decides she wants to be emcipated(sp)...What the HECK!!! Mind you she has been a spoilt child and now she is saying this....we don't even know what brought this on....when we ask her she just says "I been thinking about it for awhile".....she was angry at us for no reason and when we tried to talk to her ( and we even told her we would not allow her to be emicapated) then she got mad and took off walking....a friend(another mother) of my youngest daughter called to let me know that she was walking down a very busy road. Needless to say my husband told her she needed to come home that she didn't have to come in the house if she didn't want to but if she didn't get in his truck we would call Juvenile court to have her arrested....well she got in the truck.

So this is so long, trying to make sure everyone has a clear as possible picture of the situation.

My question: does this sound like "typical teenage behavior"?

Could she have bi-polar(I seen the signs and symptoms and she does have some)?

Does it sound like more of her depression or ODCD?

I don't know what to do but take her back to the doctor.....she is just so moody...I even asked her if it was that time of the month....she got ****** off for me asking. When she is like this she cusses and yells and then hours later acts like everything is good but I am still upset. I have been sick and had to leave my job,plus my husband has some health problems that started a couple of months ago and I just can't take anymore....I know this may sound bad but I am almost ready for her to leave...if I knew she would be safe.

Please Help, Suggestions.....

Froggyfog

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2007, 09:20 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User
Re: 17 yr Old...Hormones or Bi-Polar

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggyfog View Post
My question: does this sound like "typical teenage behavior"?
NO....this is not typical teenage behavior. I have a question for you.....is your daughter on an antidepressant????? And has it recently been increased??? The behavior that you describe sounds like what happened to my daughter when she was placed on an antidepressant (Zoloft) and it induced hypomania.

In any case....I really think that it is time to get her back to a doctor...specifically a psychiatrist who is certified to diagnose whatever your daughter is going through. Some of the characteristics are shared between ADD, ODD and Bipolar and a good psychiatrist will help you figure this out.

Who diagnosed the ODD???? I hope that you get down to the bottom of this but what you describe is not typical teeneage behavior. I have a 16 year old who was diagnosed with Bipolar last year and alot of what you describe we saw in our daughter.

There are lots of us here who are more than willing to help you through...but the first thing I would recommend is that you bring your daughter to a board certified psychiatrist.

Hope this helps and that you get the support that I have found to be so wonderful here on this board.

(((HUGS))) ~ Goody

Old 07-01-2007, 09:30 PM   #3
(female)

vanessa2318 HB User

It sounds more like her ODCD is causing a lot of it. With depression the person usually is more sad and feeling hopeless than angry. She could be having symptons of Bipolar Disorder or it could be Borderline Disorder as well. Bordeline Personality Disorder mimics a lot of the Bipolar signs but cycles more rapidly, sometimes minute to minute. I Have both and it took me a long time to figure out which was controlling my reactions to what triggers. Anyways, if she is showing signs of self-destruction, it very well could be Borderline Personality Disorder. I had always sabatoged everything I ever had going for me for many years and towards the end of my "rope", I began burning and cutting myself as a form of release. Borderline, basically magnifies a persons emotions. So if that was what she had, it would be magnifying the ODCD as well.

I would definately try to get her into some kind of counseling in order to get some kind of help and understanding for her. I hope you find some kind of answer and solution soon.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:32 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

I agree with goody, i have an 18 yr old and she has lots of friends that i know. i dont think this is typical teenage behaviour. it doesnt mean she bp either. you need to follow this up with a pdoc before anything worse happens. dont close your eyes and ears like alot of parents do. just by you coming to this site proves that you are on top of things. good luck and keep us posted.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:32 PM   #5
(female)

froggyfog HB User

She was going to a counsler at first and she showed out in front of her and she had her go to ????(I can't remember), but basically she took a 500 question written test and that was how she was DX. At that time she was also having some panic attacks(doc called them that) at school(in the school cafeteria). The counsler(sorry can't spell tonight) said she couldn't treat the ODD and sent her to a pschologist. The psychologist helped her a lot and she was so much better after 6-7 months of treatment but now a year later I feel like we are getting into the same song and dance.

Her primary doctor had ordered the anti-depression med but my daughter wouldn't take it and flushed them down the toliet. My daughter said she didn't need them.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:38 PM   #6
(female)

froggyfog HB User

Another thought...when we went and visited the college she was looking at everything but the tour lady. She has always had trouble making eye contact because of being shy(?)...not sure if shy is the right word. She is very bright and made a 27 on her first try for her ACT but she never did her homework in school so she failed a lot of her classes. Her motivation is very low.....it drives me crazy because I feel like I have to tell her a thousand times or it won't get done.

She is very easily distracted just like her father. That was one reason we were willing to put her into an on campus apartment so she could have her own private room to concentrate on her school work.

Last edited by froggyfog; 07-01-2007 at 09:40 PM.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:39 PM   #7
(female)

vanessa2318 HB User

A lot of people have relapses after they begin to show improvement. If she is Bipolar and in a mania, a lot of people do NOT like to take their meds because it takes away the euphoric feeling they have. It is usually when they get into trouble or crash into a depression that they finally seek help.

If it Bipolar then the anti depressants alone could be a bad thing. They can throw her into a mania, with bipolar a stabalizer is usually needed in order to keep the person from going one way or the other.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:41 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

froggy, my daughter has had panic attacks .. its scary, it only happened once or twice but she got herself thru them. im not sure what to tell you about the meds that she flushed...you can help her by getting all the right appts that she needs but if she is prescribed meds and wont take them than thats a problem..when she gets to a point where she says to you "mom something is wrong, i dont want to feel like i do." than the story changes, that means she wants to feel better. has she expressed anything like that to you at all?

Old 07-01-2007, 09:46 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

My daughter has that poor eye contact thing as well....she recently told me that she has a problem looking people in the eye but knows how important it is and is trying to work on that. She also is easily distracted and is very intelligent but doesn't apply herself as she should. She does well in school but would do so much better if she applied herself....she made honor roll with a 90 GPA but is very lazy about studying.

Vanessa brings up alot of GREAT points....your daughter obviously shows many characteristics of other disorders and there is always a chance that she has more than one at a time (comorbidity). Also....I see alot of ADD symptoms but again only a psychiatrist could diagnose these things.

Something is up and your daughter should definitely be re-evaluated.

~ Goody

Old 07-01-2007, 09:48 PM   #10
(female)

froggyfog HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules3 View Post
froggy, my daughter has had panic attacks .. its scary, it only happened once or twice but she got herself thru them. im not sure what to tell you about the meds that she flushed...you can help her by getting all the right appts that she needs but if she is prescribed meds and wont take them than thats a problem..when she gets to a point where she says to you "mom something is wrong, i dont want to feel like i do." than the story changes, that means she wants to feel better. has she expressed anything like that to you at all?

No she hasn't said anything about wanting or needing help. I asked her today if it was that time of the month and she said "no" (loudly). She was taking birth control pills for awhile because she was Accutane....well she also has a long time boyfriend( about 1 1/2 yrs) and when she went off Accutane I told her we could still get the birth control and I even brought the next months but she won't take it. She has large stools and is always stopping up the toliet and the primary doctor told her to take Metamcuil so she doesn't end up having a colostomy later in life and she won't even do that. She is VERY stubborned and always has been.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:04 PM   #11
(male)

greencoppr HB User

All of this sounds familiar. I was just like your daughter when I was a child. I was misdiagnosed as ADD, but when I became an adult I was DXed as Bipolar. Get this kid to a pdoc ASAP, maybe a couple of them, to get more than one opinion. I saw two pdocs to get the DX I got now, lucky for me, they both said the same thing.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:13 PM   #12
(female)

froggyfog HB User

Hi Everyone, just want to say Thanks for everyones replys. The next day after her outbrust she was fine. When I asked her "what was going on yesterday" she said "I don't know I just woke up in a bad mood". I told her "you just don't go from having a bad mood to walking out of the house and wanting to be emnicepated(sp)." When I asked her if she wanted to see her regular doctor or see a counslor(pschritis) she said "I don't know".....

Anyway I decided to watch her for awhile and see if she has down/up days or anymore epsoids...if she does than it's off to the doc to find out what is going on.

Thanks Again
Froggyfog

Closed Thread