It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2007, 08:24 PM   #1
(female)

Megn80 HB User
Support Group

I'm planning on attending a new support group for BP/Depression that starts on Tuesday night and was wondering if anyone has been to one and what to expect? It's at the local hospital so I know that it will be good...just a little scared to go. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2007, 01:06 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

emeraldeyes114 HB User
Re: Support Group

Meg.

I was nervous when I went to a support group for the first time. It soon seemed that I had worried for nothing and I hope you will feel the same way. We sat around and talked about the issues in our lives and it helped me to see that many things i have faced or was facing others had too. It is sort of like this board only with a group of live people and no posting required. lol I made a few friends then too out the group. Though the group I went too wasn't just for depression or Bipolar but pretty much anyone with mental health problems. So relax, smile, and just do the best you can listening and supporting. I hope you will find that you worried for nothing.

Deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2007, 07:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dee-nah HB User

I have one right near my house that I used to go to... Between working and my son I go when ever I get the chance.. It is a little scary at first, the guy that was sitting next to me proceeded to tell me that he belonged to nudist camp and if I was ever interested in going I was more then welcomed = ) He was harmless but that was a first for me = )

Old 07-10-2007, 12:48 PM   #4
(female)

veljul HB User

I love my support group. I have been in two. This is the second group. I was uncomfortable with the first one and left because the facilitator decided to move the group to his home and that violates NAMI guidelines. I don't know if he realized it or cared but NAMI guidelines recc. a neutral location. And I was not going to this guys house...just wasn't feeling it so I left that group about 4 years ago. Other than that it was great to listen and talk with people who knew what I was going through and be sounding boards for each other. It was nice to have the support I also made friends with some and I still communicate with a friend I madewho currently resides in Ireland.

I have been involved iwth my current group for about two years. We meet from 7:00-8:00/30 twice a month in a library meeting room. I usually look forward to going although when I am depressed I have to force myself to go, but I always feel better afterwards. I even structured my work schedule so that I could have that time off to attend. It becomes cathartic for me, especially when I am depressed. And a reality check when I am flying a bit to high.

Don't feel as though you have to say anything in the beginning if you don't feel comfortable...they usually will not force you to say anything...but you warm up to it.

I hope you go tonight and let us know how it was.

Many people on the board would benefit from hearing about a bipolar support group.

All the best,
Veljul

Last edited by veljul; 07-10-2007 at 12:50 PM. Reason: grammar errors

Old 07-10-2007, 06:01 PM   #5
(female)

Megn80 HB User

Unfortunately I couldn't make it tonight. It's so hot outside and my allergies are killing me but i'm definitely going next week. I think it will help alot to actually be around people who are like me, who understand. Thanks for all the words of wisdom!

Meg

Closed Thread