It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2007, 12:34 PM   #1
(female)

veljul HB User
What to do about Mom?

Hi All,

Praise God I am doing better and I finally called my Mom the other day. I told her I was working and would continue to work doing teaching and educational consulting in the area where I live. I did get a teaching position for the summer and I am still looking for something permanant. There is an opening at a nearby college that really fits my calling from God and I am getting prepared to apply for that to continue my career of serving students. I even called the office yesterday and spoke with a friendly sounding search committee chair ( I did not ask to speak with her but she happened to have answered the phone and told me who she was) They should be getting around to reviewing apps. in 2 weeks or so because they are very busy with their summer program that just commenced. So I have time to get things together to really nail this position down.

But, the spirit was telling me to call my Mom and I did. I Have not spoken to her on the phone for about three months because I was so ashamed of being jobless and I hate the pity she feels for me. Plus she is like a broken record.

Well, she called today before I left to teach and left a message saying how I should come home and get on disability. And I thought to myself...this is why I don't talk to you when I am not doing well. I have a background in counseling and I know pretty much what her motives are through the study of human behavior and the dynamics of our relationship.

Now I am very tempted to put her on ice again because it will be like talking to a wall with her. She does not have hearing loss so I know she heard our conversation but she was not "listening." She is so negative. If she were not my mother I would not be friends with her. Negative and pessimistic people are just hmmm......a pet peeve of mine. I avoid them like poison.

Any advice out there??

Thanks and all the best for you all.

Veljul

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2007, 04:36 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

emeraldeyes114 HB User
Re: What to do about Mom?

Veljul,

It sounds like you are taking a positive roll in your life and doing what you can to move forward istead of backward. Moms care and sometimes that caring attitude comes across not exactly as it is intended. I know the relationship between my own mom and me is well tolerable some days more then others. We have a few topics that we don't agree on at all. So in order to keep the world happy and flowing we don't discuss them unless I have plenty of Advil or something around. That being said maybe just say mom love ya and i know you care and all but that is not something I want. And just sort of come to a decision that this ought to be a hot topic better left alone. That is the only thing right off I could think of that might be helpful. I am sure you could try and tell her your view but if she doesn't really listen there's no point in wasting the breath. The other thing is to let her have her say all the while not really listening back. But that might be construed as childish rather then helpful.

I do hope they will give the perm position that you are looking for.

Deb

Closed Thread