It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2007, 07:57 PM   #1
(female)

shan14 HB User
Need help finding good psychiatrist and psychologist

anyone live in california in the inland empire vacinity who knows of a good psychiatrist and psychologist? I am having a very hard time finding anyone, and I've been looking for years. Thanks so much

Old 08-14-2007, 05:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User
Re: Need help finding good psychiatrist and psychologist

Not to make lite about this, but are you any good at throwing darts? It's just about that hard to find a good dr and therpeyist.

Welcome to the boards. There will be other with more help.

Mudhound

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2007, 09:03 AM   #3
(female)

jendg28 HB User
Re: Need help finding good psychiatrist and psychologist

You can go online and do a search for physician referral. You probably want a psychiatrist who is "board certified" in psychiatry. I have never gone to a psychologist. I have had the best luck with social workers(LCSW). I have had bad, very bad, good and excellent psychiatrists. I would suggest "interviewing" them over the phone to find out if they have what you are looking for. I like someone that is on call 24/7 or has colleages that share that responsibility. You never know when you will need them. Unfortunately, it's not usually during business hours. Find out if their schedule fits your needs. Evenings, 5 days a week, weekends, etc. (some only work part-time). Find out what(if any) hospitals they have privledges at just incase you ever need hospitalization. If they don't have any hospital priviledges, do they have a colleage that does? Do they often treat Bipolar Disorder? How long have they been in practice? You have the right to know all of this and more. You are the patient/customer paying for a service. Also, how much do they charge for an initial visit and med checks. Do they file insurance or do you have to pay upfront and file it yourself? You could even start with the yellow pages and call all the psychiatrists in your area. Pay attention to how long it takes them to call you back. If they take a week to call you back, they may not be very accessable. As far as a therapist goes, I would ask a lot of the same questions. Find out if emergency appts. are available. Good luck.

Closed Thread