It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2007, 05:25 PM   #1
(female)

harmony06 HB User
i'm so sick of taking all these meds

you know i'm really getting sick and tired of taking all these meds. i often wonder do i really need this? maybe i wasn't so bad before the meds after all i lived 46 years not even knowing that i was bp. my husband has been telling me lately that he liked me better before i started taking meds. what am i suppose to do? he hates me on all these meds and i do to. the only med that i wouldn't mind staying on is lamictal and that is only because it helps with my appitite.

sometimes i think that i will just drop them all cold turkey. i don't need this.

till next time

harmony

Old 08-24-2007, 02:17 AM   #2
(female)

Lanugo HB User
Re: i'm so sick of taking all these meds

Please don't stop any drugs cold turkey. You must speak to the professionals about your concerns first.

Hope you're feeling more positive soon.

x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2007, 01:06 PM   #3
(female)

jendg28 HB User

How long have you been taking the meds and what do you take? It really does get better. You should definitely talk to your doctor who prescribed the meds. Maybe they aren't the right meds for you. It took years to find the right meds for me and I still don't think they've got it quite right. It is a lot to get used to but eventually it just became part of my lifestyle. Kind of like brushing your teeth twice a day. It's just something that you do. Fortunately, toothpaste doesn't have side effects. If you were unmedicated for 46 years, all you know is probably mania and depression. That's probably all your husband knows in you as well. The important thing is that you need to have a better quality of life. Mania and depression are not considered to be up on that scale. Check with your doctor before giving up. And please, don't quit meds cold turkey. Could be dangerous.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:31 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

roz5 HB User

Wow, I sure do understand about not wanting to take these meds....so many of them. I currently take 6 meds every day. You should see my pill box!! However, I think I finally have the right "cocktail" of meds to make me feel better. I do have my down moments.....much more than manic episodes. Depression keeps rearing its ugly head! I just would like to know if I have to be on these meds the rest of my life. Hang in there.....and don't quit the meds despite being discouraged.

Old 08-26-2007, 03:47 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dee-nah HB User

I too know this feeling VERY well... I also know what I'm capable of doing when I'm not on meds and that is how I convince myself to stay on them! I haven't found my "cocktail" yet but hopefully in the NEAR future everything will fall into place and make sense....

Be wise....

Old 08-26-2007, 03:58 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

Well said, Dee-nah And the others as well.

I think that when it comes to meds you need to weigh the benefit of being on them vs. not. If the benefit of being off them is better then that means that you don't have the right combo. You should take this up with your pdoc and openly discuss this so that together you can find a way to be on meds that actually are more beneficial to you.

How much Lamictal are you on??? Sometimes once you are up to a good dose of the Lamictal they can take you off of others but first you must be somewhat stabilized.

In any case, you shouldn't take yourself off meds without the supervision of your pdoc. Talk to him and see if you can make some adjustments. It's not an easy thing to find the right meds....it takes time but when you do things will definitely be much better.

Hang in there and please let us know how things go.

Love ~ Goody

Old 08-27-2007, 04:50 AM   #7
(female)

harmony06 HB User

hi everyone and thank you so much for all your responses. i know that everyone of you are right. i know that i need to stay on my meds, although to make my husband realize this is very difficult. this makes it much harder to continue although after reading all your post i realized that i need to continue with them. i am taking 150mg of lamictal, 10mg abilify, and 0.5mg clonzepam. but its not only these that bother me. other then bp meds i also take meds for hypertention, cholesterol, acid reflux, just to name a few. i really get sick and tired of getting up in the morning and taking a handful of meds. i also know that like it or not i have to continue all these other meds.

anyway i would like to thank you so much for all the encouragement. it was much appreciated.

till next time

harmony

Old 08-28-2007, 07:10 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

tsohl HB User

Hi Harmony,

I remember when you first started posting and were not very stable. You've been feeling so much better and this combination of meds seem to be working. Isn't it interesting that you wouldn't consider NOT taking your med for hypertension because you know how dangerous to your life that could be, but you were contemplating not taking meds for BP?

Regarding your hubbie: does he not realize that bipolar disorder is a bio-chemical problem in the part of the brain that controls thought process and emotional balance?? That it is a disease every bit as "real" as diabetes,etc?? He needs to read up on the disorder so he understands that you need medication to maintain stability and that he is lucky you have found medications that work well for you.

Everyone goes through a period where they wonder if the meds are really necessary. Some stop taking their meds and find out the hard way that, "yes, they are necessary." Spare yourself that step and just realize that you are blessed to have found meds that work well for you!

On another note, how is your son doing?

xxoxTsohl

Old 08-29-2007, 06:33 PM   #9
(female)

harmony06 HB User

hi tsohl, its nice hearing from you again. your right i'm feeling much better then i have in a long time. when i mention sick of taking meds i'm talking about all my meds. ofcourse i can't stop and i won't, but it sure would be nice to go back two years when i wasn't taking anything.

my husband is confused and doesn't understand what has happened to me these past few years. he gets upset seeing me fill my pill boxes every Sunday night for the week. he gets upset because i'm on way too many pills. when i asked him which ones i should stop and explained to him what each was for he didn't have an answer for me. he just walks away.

My son seems to be doing okay. i don't see him too much these days because he's feeling a bit better, i think. i normally see him more when he is having problems. so hopefully my not seeing him much is good news. i did see him a week ago and he seemed fine. of course i don't know what is going on in his head unless he tells me.

how is everything going with you? how are you feeling? hope everything is going good for you. take care.

till next time

harmony

Closed Thread