It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2007, 05:24 PM   #1
(female)

tmwilson HB User
Question New to this board and looking for a little advice

I believe that I have been misdiagnosed for years. I am positive that I am bipolar and have been trying to tell my doctors about it. I am sure most of you have gotten that look from your doctor when you tell them an idea and try to "self diagnose".I feel like my therapist won't listen to me. She seems to think I am fine becuase I always happen to see her on "happy days" or I can't seem to put my feelings and the way I think into words that make sense. My best friend is a Grad student studying psych, and he confirmed my thoughts on being bipolar.

I have been trying to handle it as best I can. I know some things that seem to trigger me, and I try to use mania to do things like clean the entire house etc. Sometimes it actually scares me, like the times when I suddenly feel so full of rage that I feel like throwing things and breaking them just to get the emotions out of my system. I feel like my skin is crawling. I am not a very violent person so when I feel full of rage and violence it makes me uneasy and sets me into feeling horrible about myself. (when I tried to tell that to my therapist she gave me a weird look and told me "I really have no idea what would cause thoughts like that)

So now I am looking for help, the symptom list and description for Biploar 2 is a snapshot of my life but I can't seem to convince my therapist that I am not ok. I have been treated for years, and on numerous different medications (mostly for just depression or anxiety). I have an issue with medication when it comes to taking it consistently. I take it for awhile and then I stop taking it becuase I feel good and don't "need it" anymore. Every time I go off of another depression medication it seems like my problems get worse and worse. I feel frustrated becuase I start things out and they are going well (like school or work) and then I hit a period that screws everything up, I have l lost more than one job, and haven't been able to finish college.

My life feels out of control, I don't feel secure about my future. I would really love to hear advice on how to get correctly diagnosed, I am so tired of just being told that I am depressed or that I have GAD (general anxiety disorder). I keep getting treated for one thing, instead of treating the real disorder and I seriously don't know how to get it across to my therapist.

Sorry for getting a bit detailed here, it is my first time here and I guess I got excited that the people reading would understand some of what I am saying.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2007, 06:12 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User
Re: New to this board and looking for a little advice

Hi and welcome to the board. The best way to be properly diagnosed and find out what is going on would be to get an appointment with a board certified psychiatrist since that is the one who is best qualified to diagnose Bipolar. It certainly sounds like you fit some of the behavior of BP but nobody here can tell you for sure. To be honest, it looks like your therapist isn't taking what you are saying seriously or pointing you in the right direction to relieve your growing concerns.

Most psychiatrists cannot see new patients for 6-8 weeks so you should make an appointment as soon as possible.

Do you have any family history of depression, bipolar, drug/alcohol addictions, or ADD??? There is a genetic link to BP however you can have it without one as well.

It is important to keep in mind that if you do have BP that taking meds is extremely important to treating it and is something that you will have to do for the rest of your life. So, taking them when you remember or feel like it is a big no-no

I hope that you will get some answers soon. Who has prescribed you meds up to this point in time??? And have you ever been evaluated by a psychiatrist?? If not I highly recommend that you do.

Hang in there and come here anytime. You will find it to be a wonderful place where others will comfort you and be more than happy to share their experiences.

(((((HUGS)))))) ~ Goody

Closed Thread