It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2007, 10:50 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

salty HB Usersalty HB User
Those On Lamictal, Please Help! I'm Posting Again

Hello. I have had one side effect after another on 100 mg of Lamictal.

I don't know what to try next---Does anyone know of a good mood stabilizer without all the side effects?

I really am at the end of my rope with my meds.

I just read horrible things about Lamictal and don't know WHAT I can replace it with.

It worked well in the beginning and then I dropped into depression again.

I was using it to boost my Lexapro (which wasn't working like it used to).

I felt great for 2 weeks and now I'm a mess again.

Please post...I'm going to need a suggestion for my dr., because I think we are out of choices that boost SSRI's and act as a mood stabilizer.

I'd like to know others' dosages and do the side effects go away?---maybe on a smaller dose? Also does anyone take it at night instead of morning?

I don't know what I'm going to do!

Thanks.

Salty

Old 09-22-2007, 11:57 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User
Re: Those On Lamictal, Please Help! I'm Posting Again

Salty ~ If you are BP it is best to stabilize your moods before even looking into an antidepressant since an antidepressant without a mood stabilizer in place could trigger mania. I don't know your history per se.....are you trying to treat just depression or do you have BP??? I would think that if you were perscribed Lithium it was because you are manic-depressive (Bipolar).

I know of one poster here who reported getting an acne type rash with Lamictal that seemed to go away after a while. None of these meds are without side effects.....what has been the problem with Lamictal besides the acne type rash????

Other mood stabilizers are Depakote, Tegretol, Trileptal, and Lithium that I know of. My daughter developed a rash with the Trileptal but that isn't with everybody. Lots of people really like the Trileptal especially when the Tegretol gave them problems.

In any case, you and your pdoc have to work together to track your moods and responses to any given meds. It takes time to find the right ones and for your body to adjust to any given med.

Hope this helps. Lamictal, BTW is one of the only mood stabilizers with a great profile in terms of side effects. My daughter has been on it and has no side effects at all. But everybody is different as far as how they respond to meds so what doesn't cause side effects for one person may cause them with another.

Good luck....it takes time and patience to find the right med combo. Hang in there.

((((((HUGS)))))) ~ Goody

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2007, 12:26 PM   #3
(female)

Lor60 HB User

Hi Salty, My son did seem to have some increase in his acne when the lamictal was increased. Of course he is 13 so acne is common at his age. Our dermatologist did not know of any connection between lamictal and acne. He told us to use a 5% panoxyl (I think that is how it is spelled) soap which you can buy in a bar at CVS or Walgreens. He also prescribed a Erythromycin topical solution 2% and Brevoxyl-4 gel. Although he still gets some breakouts it is now no worse than before he began the lamictal. I did find some connection between cystic type acne and lamictal when I did a web search.

When we were increacing his lamictal we would see an improvement in his mood for a while (1-2 weeks) and then he would deteriorate again. Once he was on 200mg he did better for a longer period of time.

Lor

Old 09-22-2007, 12:34 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Goody, thank you for writing. My mood was stabilized with lithium for years, then it didn't work anymore...didn't prevent depression at all like it used to.

This has been going on for 25 years. My dr. and I thought that by putting me on lamictal that it would boost the lexapro as well as act as a mood stabilizer.

I have acne, body aches, sore throat, a lot of mucous, sweating, headaches, memory loss, takes me a long time to spell things right, fever...it goes on.

I was sooo happy to finally find something and it worked for 2 weeks and then all the side effects came.

I was also happy because it was supposed to be weight neutral but now that doesn't seem true.

Right before my dr. and I decided on Lamictal we were running out of ideas...so I just don't know what we are going to do.

Thank you again for posting.

Salty

Old 09-22-2007, 12:40 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lor60, I appreciate you writing. For some reason I didn't see your post before I saw Goody's.

I just can't take the side effects and my mood is very low. It worked and then boom, it stopped.

I don't know what is going to help boost my AD's and stabilize my mood.

Salty

Old 09-22-2007, 03:35 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

tsohl HB User

Have you tried combining several mood stabilizers? My son takes lithium, tegretol and lamictal. None of them worked well alone, but together they keep him stable and free of episodes.

Old 09-22-2007, 04:35 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks tsohl for posting. No I have only tried lithium. My biggest problem is depression, that's what keeps coming back time and time again.

The lamictal is just too hard to take because of the side effects. I have no idea what my dr. is going to do.

I've been researching as much as I can and I wonder if going to a smaller dose of lamictal and starting over will help...I'm lost at this point.

Salty

Old 09-22-2007, 05:19 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty View Post
Hello. I have had one side effect after another on 100 mg of Lamictal.

I don't know what to try next---Does anyone know of a good mood stabilizer without all the side effects?

I really am at the end of my rope with my meds.

I just read horrible things about Lamictal and don't know WHAT I can replace it with.

It worked well in the beginning and then I dropped into depression again.

I was using it to boost my Lexapro (which wasn't working like it used to).

I felt great for 2 weeks and now I'm a mess again.

Please post...I'm going to need a suggestion for my dr., because I think we are out of choices that boost SSRI's and act as a mood stabilizer.

I'd like to know others' dosages and do the side effects go away?---maybe on a smaller dose? Also does anyone take it at night instead of morning?

I don't know what I'm going to do!

Thanks.

Salty
I use lamictal but not at that 100mg dosage. I use 50mgs per day, plus 1 ml of resperidol and 150 mgs of effexor per day. My moods remain stable and for any residual anxiety, I talk it out to a significant other in my support system. NOthing works 100 per cent of the time, but it is easy to fgure out the pattern of when it is less likely to work well, and then put off any important decisions until I get through the hump.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:25 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you Merimac...I'm looking for any information I can get.

I appreciate you telling me your cocktail. I need ideas such as yours.

Salty

Old 09-22-2007, 06:31 PM   #10
(female)

OuchMyThroat HB User

Hey there, I am on Lamactil with Lithium (ad kolonipin) and I haven't experiences depression at all. But the "out of control" feelings has me obsessively thinking about downing every bottle of meds that I have. I am not depressed I'm just....the whole hyper, can't stop talking, not caring about consequences thing. This is as soon as I started on the 100 mgs of lamactil. So....I don't know. Best thing is to try a combonation of meds. Good luck hon.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:45 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Hi,

I just increased Lamictal to 150 last week. I have rapid cycling, and the pdoc wants to prevent the crash. I am hyper and agitated, and can't tell whether it's the Lamictal or me. But I have these swings every 6 weeks or so, then deep depression.
Lamictal is about the only drug I've been able to tolerate in this class. No side effects to speak of, except maybe being hyper.

What side effects are you experiencing, if I may ask? There may be some going on with me that I am thinking is my hypomania.

Thanks, and I hope you find the right meds soon.

Seaturtle

Old 09-23-2007, 10:56 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

OuchMyThroat, thanks for writing.

The whole hyper thing with you sounds like you aren't on the right dose of lamictal or shouldn't be on it.

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE not to be depressed like you, but it sounds like the lamictal is what's making you have the not caring about consequences thing. That's kind of scary, at least to me. I hope you and your dr. can figure it out.

I wanted to quit Lamictal cold turkey but I figured I shouldn't so I cut down to 50mg and started feeling immediately better as the terrible side effects were lessening.

I'm not doing this over weeks as I probably should be, but I'm on it for depression not for seizures, so I think I'll be okay. I had no withdrawal symptoms going from 100 mg to 50 mg.

I'm sure most people will say that I should stay on 50 mg for while, but OuchMyThroat, I just can't...I just could not take it any longer!

So I cut down to 25 mg. I really didn't want to take THAT today because my face is finally looking better, but I took 25 mg because I was afraid not to. I really wanted to stop taking it all together.

I will talk to my dr. about a combo...we have been trying so hard to get my meds down lately (at one point it seemed I was on everything).

What I really need now is to find a mood stabilizer in a small dose but I only know of 2 true mood stabilizers (lithium and lamictal).

All the rest are anti-seizure as far as I know and I don't do very well on them from past experience. That may be why I'm not doing well on lamictal because it is also used for anti-seizure.

As long as I can stay out of depression with the lexapro and wellbutrin XL I'm on then I need a mood stabilizer without tons of side effects. I know I'm going to post now to see if anyone will respond to that.

I've been posting like crazy out of desperation for help and haven't heard back on several posts.

Thanks for wishing me luck...I need it. I wish you luck too!

Salty

Old 09-23-2007, 11:20 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Seaturtle, I have had SO many side effects...flu-like symptoms--was sick with them for 3 weeks (thought I had a bad cold, but you think I would have figured out it's rare to have a cold, get rid of it, get it again, get rid of it, and the LAST time it hit me it was really bad)!

The side effects of constant phlegm, slight fever, sweating, TERRIBLE acne, body aches, congestion, hair thinning, can't think right, memory loss, bumping into things continued and then I fell into depression again!

Now that I am weaning off, I have noticed a big difference, the side effects are definitely lessening.

I had no hypermania...Wellbutrin XL was added to see if that would help with the depression.

Seaturtle, every single time I stay on a med to see if the awful side effects go away, I end up regretting it because they never do for me.

My body reacts to meds in a way that the drug either works right away for me (which the lamictal did for a little while) or I have terrible side effects and KNOW it's not going to work or get better, but like an idiot I stay with it because I WANT it to be the answer and WANT it to work.

I would think your hypermania must mean you aren't at the right dose (unless you want to be hyper--I mean right now I'd give anything not to be depressed)!

I haven't had any hyper anything for 25 years...it's always the deep depression.

I just don't know about lamictal...it's a tricky drug. Like I said I felt great for the first time in 3 weeks when I switched to lamictal, but then I crashed again! And the side effects were sooo bad!

I've been doing this for so long, you'd think I'd realize when the side effects are killing me, that my body cannot take that med or the dose is wrong.

But no...I suffer through them until the side effects are SO BAD that I have to get off the drug! I guess the 2 weeks were so good and I know there aren't many alternatives left, I wanted the lamictal to work so badly!

Now I have to post about finding a mood stabilizer that I can take in a small dose that doesn't have a ton of side effects.

I hope you and your dr. can figure out what's going on with you. I know it's hard, (boy do I know that), to find the right meds.

I wish you so much luck.

Salty

Old 09-23-2007, 11:30 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Please Post--Now I Need Suggestions For A Mood Stabilizer

Hi everyone. I am weaning off the lamictal and have already noticed the side effects are lessening.

I have posted so much because I wanted lamictal to work so badly for me.

When I crashed into depression again and the side effects became untolerable, I really needed feedback.

Now I need to find a mood stabilizer that I can add to the lexapro and wb xl that I can take in a small dose that isn't known for tons of side effects.

I had one so-called manic episode 25 years ago...so I guess I still need something anti-mania in my system just in case.

Please have ideas for me!

Thank you.

Salty

Old 09-23-2007, 01:03 PM   #15
(female)

fineanddandy HB User
Re: Please Post--Now I Need Suggestions For A Mood Stabilizer

You've only had one manic episode and that was 25 years ago??? No hypomania or anything like it since? Insomnia? If the answer to all those is "no", then I can't imagine why you need a mood stabilizer. Mind if I ask about the side effects you had on lamictal?

Closed Thread