It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2007, 08:27 PM   #1
(female)

Lor60 HB User
A major crash

I have posted before about my almost 14 year old son. This summer he was pretty stable with a schedule of regular sleep, exercise and medication (lamictal and abilify). When school started he began complaining of trouble with his memory and problems focusing. We also noted increased edginess and his grades began to drop. He was started on a low dose of stattera to see if that would help his focusing.

Last week we had a major crash. He became very depressed with no interest in school or sports, began self medicating and became suicidal. We saw tdoc, pdoc, and there was talk of hospitalizing him. My husband and I took turns staying up with him for three days and never let him out of our sight. We immediately stopped the stattera and the pdoc started him on wellbutrin XL. We were scared to start the wellbutrin because he had increased agitaiton and suicidal ideation on prozac two years ago prior to starting the lamictal but we were desperate.

He is doing a little better. Today he was extremely agitated and irritable. Think normal adoescence X's 3. He wanted to go to his game today and played but choose to skip the team dinner after. He did seem a little better after the game and is sleeping now.

I am so torn with starting the AD but we didn't know what else to do and the pdoc really wanted us to try it or hospitalize him. We have already used up all of our MI benefits for the year so we would have to pay out of pocket. I know they would only keep him a few days and we were able to get through the crisis at home.

Once again I am turning to my friends on this board. Any advice or suggestions?

Lor

Last edited by Lor60; 09-22-2007 at 09:37 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2007, 09:02 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

tsohl HB User
Re: A major crash

Hi Lor,

I'm so sorry to hear Drew is having problems again. It is scary how quickly they can turn around, isn't it? I'm not quite clear from your post if you gave him wellbutrin or if it was just prescribed?

What was he self-medicating with? I know he's asleep now, but does he seem less depressed? When do you see the pdoc again?

I can see why you want to keep him out of the hospital if you can. Please let us know how he's doing...and how are YOU doing?

(((((HUGS)))))

xxTsohl

Old 09-22-2007, 09:22 PM   #3
(female)

Lor60 HB User

Hi Tsohl,

Thanks for your reply.

We started the wellbutrin on Thursday. He was less depressed today. Prior to today he was so depressed he was moving slow. Today he was either depressed but not as much, or very irritable. It's hard to describe but he was so irritable he almost didn't make sense. He was better after his game.

He self medicated with pot. This was a big deal. He has been training very hard all summer and had two big games this weekend. There is no way he would have done this if he was feeling better.

I have been a basket case. I really felt like we had made some headway this summer in getting him somewhat stable. I came home and found him trying to get into my husbands locked gun cabinet. I didn't sleep for two nights and really haven't been able to eat. I do think we are over the crisis for now though.

Lor

Old 09-22-2007, 10:03 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

tsohl HB User

Oh, Lor ~

I know that sick feeling you get in the pit of your stomach. There's nothing quite like it. I really feel for you and wish there was more that I could say. I know you've been worried since the beginning of school and your worst fears came true. It is weird that he changed so quickly. There is so much that remains unknown about BP. What did the pdoc think was going on??

I will send some prayers your way.

xxTsohl

Old 09-22-2007, 10:18 PM   #5
(female)

Lor60 HB User

Tsohl,

I think the pdoc was a little surprised too. He just saw him less than 2 weeks ago. He has been calling every day. I think he wished we had put him in the hospital but I just can't do that unless I have to. He has never officially dxed him with BP. He uses the term severe cycling mood disorder with psychotic features. I think he gave him the wellbutrin because it is faster acting but I'm wondering if he needs another mood stabilizer instead. Oh I hate these meds. Who knows maybe the strattera caused it.

The sick feeling in the pit of your stomach is exactly how I feel.

How is your back? I read that you are planning the surgery for Jan. Did you see the new surgeon at U of W?

Lor

Old 09-22-2007, 10:37 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

tsohl HB User

I know everyone is different, but the only thing that helped my son really get a handle on things was the combination of 3 mood stabilizers. Two got him to the point where he was about 95% stable, but when he added the 3rd one he felt "normal" -- like he had been pre-BP (if there is such a thing.) Of course he was older, so who knows if something like that would work for Drew.

If your son is anything like mine was, he turned to pot because his world was swinging wildly and he was trying to gain some control over it. My son self-medicated with pot for years before he got a diagnosis and was put first on lithium. That only helped somewhat so he kept smoking. Well, that didn't work out too well...and he eventually realized he had to be clean and sober and be treated through conventional medicine. Although frankly, if it weren't for the fact that he knew he would need a job and might be drug-tested, he might still be smoking. He felt marijuana was more effective than many of the "legal" medications he took, and probably far safer, too. He knew if he took too much lithium it could kill him, but didn't figure that would happen with pot, for example.

It sounds like your pdoc still isn't much of a believer in younger kids developing BP. Poor Drew. He must have been feeling really out of control to start up with the pot again right before the big games. These kids really are so fragile in so many ways.

I hope you can get some sleep. I am going to go try...and will check in with you tomorrow.

Peace

xxTsohl

Old 09-23-2007, 09:00 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

langlee HB User

Dear, dear Lor,

I am so sorry Drew is having a hard time. I think the beginning of school is stressful for our kids and it sounded like Drew did fine in the beginning, but things were unraveling just a little for him and he reacted.

I'm on my way out, but I'll post more later. The one thing I wanted to tell you is that Zac is on a low dose of Wellbutrin and is tolerating it really well. He had terrible reactions to both Celexa and Zoloft, but Wellbutrin is fine. Hopefully, it will help Drew, too.

I'm thinking about you, Lor, and keeping Drew in my heart.

Love,

Hope

Old 09-23-2007, 09:01 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

((((((((((LOR))))))))))

I am so sorry to hear about Drew's setback. I have a feeling that the Straterra may be the culprit but I guess we really can't be sure of that. And I do certainly understand how you are choosing to keep him at home....our insurance gives us the option of inpatient or outpatient in which the benefits are doubled. So if we have 2 days left in the benefits for inpatient then we can get 4 outpatient days. So if you have something similar and have a day left you could get 2 days as outpatient if your insurance works similarly.

So how is Drew doing today???? I hope that the Wellbutrin is helping somewhat. It sounds like it might be kicking in if he was able to go to his game. And they say that exercise is almost as good as an antidepressant from some of the newest studies. Also, Lor, I have also heard that Wellbutrin has the least likelihood of triggering manias as the other antidepressants.

It's good that the pdoc is checking in with you.

Please know that we are all here for you....picture us keeping watch with you wanting to keep Drew safe until he comes out of this. We are right there with you, Lor, all the way.

Love and lots of (((((HUGS)))))) ~ Goody

Old 09-23-2007, 01:13 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

langlee HB User

Dear Lor,

I'm back and you and Drew have been on my mind all day. Adolescence is tough all of the way around and I think meds are harder to stabilize because, just as you hit a pattern, their hormones change or triggers happen and BOOM!

I'm glad that Drew is feeling a little better. The Wellbutrin seems to be a good, safe drug and he may need an adjustment to his mood stablizers, too. Have you been able to get any idea at all what caused him to feel so badly?

My husband and I are always worried when we leave Zac in the house alone, no matter how well he's doing, because we never know when the tides may change and what he'll get into. The truth is, guns or not, if they are looking for something to self-destruct, they can probably find it. We haven't made plans for a long time that take us too far from home for too long. It's just the way it is for now.

Has Drew ever had any anti-anxiety meds? Ativan used to work well for Zac, but we stopped it because of his substance abuse background. The clorazapem (sp?) works well, but makes him sleepy. The Seroquel seems to be the best to take the edge off. Just another thing to consider.

How is Drew today, Lor, and how are you? We can all empathize with that feeling you are feeling now because we've been. Post when you can and tell us how everyone is doing.

Love,

Hope

Old 09-23-2007, 01:49 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

Lor, has drew ever taken seroquel? i think that is a great drug and i wish my son would take it..because of weight gain, he stopped. i cant blame him,he was packing on lbs like crazy. Maybe that would help him out since it does kinda take the edge off. Wellbutrin is also a good drug, my son was on that a few years ago and loved it.hes had a coupla of seizures after that so now is a big n0-no for him to ever go back on it. but im really thinking of a mood stabilizer for drew...

Old 09-23-2007, 07:32 PM   #11
(female)

Lor60 HB User

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all your support and advice. I knew I could count on my online friends to understand. I feel better about the wellbutrin.

Drew is a little better every day. I am pretty drained. I think I just need a good nights sleep. I will post more tomorrow.

Lor

Old 09-24-2007, 10:26 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

langlee HB User

Lor-

I just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking about you and Drew today and wondering how you are both doing? Post when you can.

Love,

Hope

Old 09-24-2007, 08:20 PM   #13
(female)

Lor60 HB User

Hi Everyone,

Things are much better here. Every day is a little better than the one before. Drew went back to school for half a day today. He said it went well and he seemed OK when he got home.

Goody, our benifits for any type of psych is $300 per year with a lifetime max of $3,000. Of course that was exhausted in the first psych eval. We pay for all of Drew's care including his medications out of pocket. We have no coverage for inpatient care. The problem is that we purchase our insurance since my husband is self employed. Our choices were very limited because we have some preexisting conditions in the family. We are looking to make a switch for next year but will need to get his partner and secretary to come in with us so we can purchase as a group. If your purchase as a group they can't deny you because of preexisting conditions.

I don't know if the straterra caused this or not. Drew did well this summer but we really controlled his environment. No stress, plenty of sleep, meds at the same time each day, 2 hours of exercise, plenty of time to relax and a couple hours on the water fishing or wake skating each day. It was almost a full time job for me. Whenever the schedule got a little off we did see problems. I'm just not sure he has ever really been stable. He definately never got to where he was before this whole thing started.

Of course with school starting there was more stress and less sleep. He was having so much trouble focusing and he quit working out or running except for practice or game days. He was getting edgy even before he started the staterra and the real crash came about 10 days into it.

So far he seems to be doing OK on the wellbutrin. We hate the meds and never thought we would medicate one of our kids and now he is on three. I really want to give it time to work before we try anything else.

I have been spending the evening helping him with his homework. He wants to catch up but he is just so spacey right now. I helped him do a research project last night and when he tried to turn it in the teacher told him he had already turned it in early last week. The worse thing was he forgot to do the assignment which was due today so he got a 0 on that and it was much easier than the research project he did twice.

Algebra is impossible for him right now. This is the same kid who was doing long division problems in kindergarten. We are just taking it one day at a time and hoping that it gets better.

Well I don't want to sound too negative. Other than the school work he is doing much better. He is joking around with us and I even heard him singing before he went to bed tonight. We are trying to keep things quiet and get back into a routine.

Thank you again for all your advice and support. I'm not sure anyone who hasn't gone through this with one of their kids can really understand what it is like. I hope everyone is doing well and look forward to your updates. It gives me hope to hear how well some of the kids are doing.

Lor

Old 09-24-2007, 08:49 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

tsohl HB User

Hi Lor,

Glad to hear Drew is a little better today. It is tough and you're right about others not understanding unless they have a child who's been there. We're like a secret society in some ways!!

As I've mentioned before, our son wasn't diagnosed when he was in high school and we didn't realize he was even having problems...but he played sports, but didn't have them during the summer, or at least not as much and we could always tell. There was a big difference in his level of irritability and grouchiness. But he was able to handle school well. He never took the amount of meds he takes now while in school. It will be interesting to see if he can handle grad school. Of course the field he has chosen is almost entirely mathematical, so it will be a big challenge. I don't think he could do it without taking Provigil. It just took him so much longer to do any calculations and he tells us his abilities are less than before he began taking meds.

I know how you feel about your son being on such strong medications. When the pdoc started combining meds, I really freaked out. But I don't know what the alternative is. If he'd just stayed on the lithium by itself, I believe he'd be dead by now (because it wasn't controlling his symtoms enough).

Well, just take it one day at a time...as I always used to say to Goody: baby steps...baby steps.

Hang in there.
(((((HUGS)))))

Tsohl

Old 09-25-2007, 04:44 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

Lor, it really is baby steps ..and sometimes 2 steps forward and 1 step backwards. these kids do not deal well with change, like going back to school after 2 months of being home is huge for him. Give him some time and im sure you will see improvement every day..

Closed Thread