It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2007, 02:14 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User
Oprah Has Show On BP

I wish I had known before this but I just tuned into Oprah's show today on Bipolar and thank God I tivo Oprah because I am able to rewind and watch it. I just wanted to give you all a heads up....she has the author of "An Unquiet Mind" by Kay Redfield Jamison on panel and two actor/actresses Maurice Bernard from General Hospital who has BP as well as Jennifer Lewis who share what it is like to have BP. From what I have seen it is a wonderful representation and Oprah is doing a wonderful job of trying to address the stigmatization behind BP. Just wanted to get this posted so some of you can tune in on the Central and Pacific times. I believe for you Eastern time zones there is an encore presentation of Oprah at 1 or 2am??

Hope that others are as impressed by this show as I am....Oprah always does a great job. She is also going to discuss people's comments regarding BP sometime next week so look for that too.

((((HUGS)))) ~ Goody

Old 09-24-2007, 03:48 PM   #2
(female)

bpmom07 HB User
Re: Oprah Has Show On BP

Oh shoot! I saw the commerical for it and was planning on watching it, but the kids talked me into playing outside and it totally slipped my mind. I think it's on again tonight on a different channel here in town so I best go check and set a reminder.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2007, 04:11 PM   #3
(female)

mamiacp HB User

I am so glad I checked in today-I haven't been on in a while. If anyone is in the North Texas area, it replays on KFWD at 8:00.

Cristina

Old 09-24-2007, 04:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

marshmallow HB User

I watched it and was very pleased with it. It was informative and done well. She is doing a follow up next week with another celebrity on. The only thing they didnt mention was that mania is not always this great high but can be very rageful and angry. They kind of made it sound like mania is always good. But all in all I thought it was very good.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:49 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

I agree, Marsh....when they spoke about the mania or high it was as if you liked it and that it was something that somebody wouldn't want to medicate away which in many cases is true. However, I believe it is the hypomania or mixed state which precedes the mania that exhibits irritability, anger, and extreme agitation.

Oprah is going to have Sinead O'Connor on her show sometime next week. I think I saw October 4th mentioned and she promised to do a followup on today's show at that time as well.

Allot of people are commenting about how they should have discussed Early Onset BP and the BP Child. I am sure that Oprah should respond to that and in the near future have a show to help parents and kids understand BP more.

((((HUGS)))))) ~ Goody

Last edited by moderator2; 09-24-2007 at 06:05 PM.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:59 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

You see that is what i am confused about..my son does not get pleasure out of his mania..it is destructive and angry and not something he enjoys...yet, when i read about bipolar i see that alot of people love that feeling and miss it when its gone. they love being the center of attention and feel good about themselves when they are manic. Im so sorry that i missed that show.Sorry,if i sound rude or not myself..my son is actually doing ok, so its not that. i guess im just in a bad mood tonite.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:40 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

(((((((HUGS))))))))) Jules!!! I am sorry that you are not in a great mood tonight....each of us is entitled to not feeling great every single minute.

I also never really saw Erin experience that good mania of feeling on top of the world.....I saw much more of the anger, agitation, irritability, argumentiveness etc. as well as her increased energy and it being used in ways that lacked good judgement and that were quite impulsive such as running away, smoking cigars, inviting boys to come talk to her outside her window, & to use alcohol and weed. I think that this is more indicative of the hypo(manic) or mixed states. IT is when there is depressive and manic components which bring about these symptoms that are characteristics of both depression and hypomania.

If you didn't see Oprah at 4pm in NY there is another showing at 1am on ABC (channel 7) so you can either see it then or record it.

Hope that tomorrow is a better day.

Love ~ Goody

Old 09-25-2007, 04:47 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

Thanks goody, i do feel better today..my daughter away in college has been homesick and im starting to think maybe this wasnt a good decision. we should probably start applying to schools a little closer, where she can dorm but still come home for weekends..

Old 09-25-2007, 05:42 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

tsohl HB User

Jules ~

Hi. Haven't talked to you in awhile. Is your daughter homesick for home or homesick for the BF?

I was reading an article a couple days ago on how kids who don't make visits back "home" are able to adjust to college life much more quickly than those who go back home on weekends. They develop new coping skills, learn to depend on their new friends and become more involved on the life of the campus, rather than being stuck in limbo, not really a part of either group. So much of what you learn at college takes place out of class. It is what helps them to mature and learn to be self-sufficient.

I think going away to college is a little like going away to summer camp for the first time. I know I kept my mom practically in tears for the whole time I was gone, writing really sad letters home, begging her to come get me, etc...and she was in turmoil the whole time I was gone. Then when she came to meet the bus, I jumped off, went running over to her and told her I wanted to go right back for the next session and would she please call to see if there were any openings. In other words, you are miserable, then you think you're miserable but you keep going through the motions, and then eventually you adjust, get into the swing of things and end up loving it. I hope that happens for your daughter, but a boy in the picture, I am doubtful.

xxTsohl

Is your son still feeling so depressed?

Old 09-25-2007, 08:03 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

langlee HB User

Zac never had the "feeling good" mania either. His was much more like Erin's and Jules' son. I'm wondering if it's related to age or not.

Jules, glad to hear your son is doing OK. I'm sure your daughter's homesickness relates to missing her boyfriend. I forgot where he is going to school. Is it local?

Love,

Hope

Old 09-25-2007, 08:18 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

tsohl HB User

You might be on to something here. I don't recalll hearing or reading about mania in teens. Most teens are mainly depressed and then when given an antidepressant, there is some break-through hypomania. Then the parents complain about the teen always being so irritable, angry, even full of rage.

When you hear or read about a true, over-the-top mania it usually occurs after a period of time when they have been experiencing mood swings for awhile...usually twenties or even thirties.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:23 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

langlee HB User

I think what's really interesting is that the bipolar sympotoms of mania and depression BOTH include irritability and anger. But I think in teens we see uncontrollable emotions beyond what we believe is the normal range. It's one of the reasons why so many of us have questioned what is the normal rage and whether our children were just extreme or bipolar, but we see that over time, they respond to meds and start to become more of themselves and it is what gives us confidence in the diagnosis and hope for the future.

Hope

Old 09-25-2007, 08:25 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Jules, Tsohl brings up some GREAT points. I have a very cose friend who's daughter went to Penn State and she was crying all the time about how much she hated being away and wanted to come home. They made a pact to see how she felt after the first semester and re-evaluate. My friend was already thinking about how certain she was that her daughter would be coming home.

Well, turns out that when it came time to re-evaluate, her daughter was fine with continuing on and is now into her second year and adjusting fine.

I have the reverse situation with Kait but that is even beginning to change over time. I wouldn't hear from her for a week sometimes even more. NOw I am hearing from her at least once a day if not more and it isn't about her needing money Last night she called me to tell me that she loved and missed me and she has been calling me on all of her breaks at her internship just to talk!! I guess it's when we let go that they really grow!!

So do the mom thing and tell her to give it a chance and try staying the weekends. The weekends are when everybody gets a chance to really lay back and relax and socialize more and she may be better able to meet friends that way. Encourage her to do that.....realistically I see her not taking too well the that especially since her coming home is her ticket to getting to see her BF. But then again, perhaps it's time that the BF took a trip up there so she can have him visit in her surroundings for a change. Just a few thoughts.

I re-watched Oprah's show at 1am and as much as people are complaining about it, I really think they did a pretty good job with the hour that she had. I think that she could have done a little bit more research and perhaps read "An Unquiet Mind" so that she had more insight into BP. I KNOW that when she has read somebody's book she ALWAYS brings up a favorite part that opened up her understanding and she didn't do that. Oprah got alot of flack for using the word "CRAZY" which definitely shows the lack of empathy that the normal lay person will have when learning that somebody has Bipolar. But she really didn't mean harm by it but it just goes to show that if Oprah can say things like that without thinking then how are we to expect that the rest of America won't??!!

I really liked Jennifer Lewis' attitude when she said that you have to "work" at it.....that the key to getting well is to "work" at it. When Oprah asked her to explain that she went on to say that it is a matter of getting up each morning and coaching yourself into how important it is to take your meds and to tell yourself that it is going to be a wonderful day and that life is good and that you are a GREAT person who is going to live life the best that you can. And that by doing that and going to therapy she has a wonderful, fulfiling life. She did talk openly about how it took 4 years for her therapist to talk her into taking the meds that she needed and for her and her pdoc to find the ones that worked the best for her. And that when she had any problems like a dry mouth he would make adjustments and that when one of them affected her libido she point blank told her pdoc that there was no way she was going to miss out on that fun!!! And her pdoc and her worked through that too!!

There was alot of criticism about how Oprah brought in the stars rather than regular everyday people afflicted with this disorder but I think that her intentions were to show America that BP does not have prejudice....that even the best most successful people in life have it and can overcome it and lead extremely fulfilling lives once they seek treatment for BP.

I only hope that Oprah can bring on parents with children who have BP and how it often presents itself so differently than it does with adults and how it really affects the entire family unit in overcoming it. They are asking for comments to the show but in order to do that you must be willing to be part of a future show if they wish for you to do so. I don't know if Erin would be comfortable about that or if I am even ready to do so. I have a strong urge to make some comments but not without first thinking it thoroughly through and having Erin 100% on board. But I am tempted especially when it comes to helping others to understand BP and erase the stigma. Perhaps you would like to consider it Tsohl since your son seems to be the poster child for BP.

Well that's my update and response to yesterday's show.

(((((HUGS)))) to all ~ Goody

Old 09-25-2007, 09:45 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

tsohl HB User

I don't think so, Goody!!

Old 09-25-2007, 10:14 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Hehehehehehehehehe....but you have been here the longest (at least on this forum ) AND your son has the longest running stability (beside's EYES of course )

But if I were to take a guess it would be your son who wouldn't find it easy doing this more than yourself....right??? I think it only goes to show how difficult it is for us as parents as well as our children to come out when there is sooo much stimatization out there and I think that is what Oprah was trying to accomplish by bringing in two well known celebrities who have Bipolar.

Well it sure isn't easy but so long as this stigmatization stays the more people will be reluctant to go out and get the help that they need. I think that the celebrities that appeared on Oprah's show deserve alot of repsect for doing so and sharing their stories with the world.

~ Goody

Closed Thread