It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2007, 04:33 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User
A Small Setback......

Hi all We've had a good 6 months of stability....some of you know our situation but for those that don't I have a 16 year old daughter, Erin, who was diagnosed a little over a year ago with BP NOS/ADD. We finally got the meds straight and have been stable since April. Her winning combo of meds are Seroquel 250mgs in am & 325mgs in pm AND Lamictal 50mgs in am & 150mgs in pm.

For the past 6 months we have seen wonderful improvement in Erin. She still has her triggers but quickly is able to get things back on track. We have been working real hard on gaining insight and identifying her triggers so that she can continue to remain stable. We found together that taking an extra 25mgs every 8 hours for the week of her menses helps out with increased agitation and frustrations. We also learned how important proper sleep is in preventing situational breakthroughs. Erin has also had some gained insight in learning from her mistakes like how she has an increase in symptoms when she fails to remember to take even one dose of her meds.

We have been trying as her parents to have Erin be responsible for maintaining her stability. For the past year she has been responsible for dispensing her meds in a weekly pill box and letting me know when she is due to have refills ordered. I of course oversee things and her pill box is kept by the kitchen sink so I can at a distance monitor her taking her meds. For the most part hubby and I watch her take her meds each morning and evening and believe me, the one time she forgot a dose we KNEW by her behavior.

We also as parents have increased our trust with her, we do still randomly drug test and have basic guideliines in place but are trying to bridge her from teenager to adulthood with reasonable responsibilities (grades, curfew, laundry, cleaning room etc.) in place.

Erin asked to have a sleepover with a girlfriend last night (she actually brought it up with us last weekend). We are not great fans of sleepovers and the last time she had one was about a year ago with this same girlfriend at our house. We confirmed the plans with her girlfriend's mom and gave ERin the okay. We stressed with her as well as the mom how important her getting sleep was and they both assured me that she would get good sleep. I know her girlfriend's mom well and she is quite strict and intolerable of any nonsense so that made it easier for us to give the okay. I made sure that ERin packed her meds and told her to call if she had any problems. She also had plans to go out to breakfast with her boyfriend and his family in the morning (who would be picking her up at her girlfriend's house) and Erin promised to call once she was in route.

This morning hubby got a phone call from Erin who was hysterically crying (I was sleeping with a touch of a stomach virus). Apparently she had been up all night afraid that she may have left her contact in her left eye and didn't remember if she took it out or not or if it was lost because it wasn't with the other one in the cleansing case. She thought it was stuck up in her eye. Hubby picked her up (it was 9am) and brought her to the walk-in-clinic in town. They didn't see any evidence of the contact being in the eye and dispensed some eyedrops saying that the eye did have signs of infection. Hubby then brought her to her BF's house to continue with plans which would now bring her in later (they were taking an hour drive to the east end to a special restaurant and then doing some shopping in the specialty stores).

I told hubby that I didn't think it was a great idea that he allowed her to go knowing that Erin had gotten very little sleep. Besides she had left alot of homework to do and had promised to be home by 11am....now we were at 3pm. Anyway....I was lying down when Erin got home I was awoken by her hysterically crying. She told me her stomach was really hurting, that she felt really bad and didn't know what was wrong. IT took me some time to calm her down. She went from hugging me and sobbing that she was sorry....I was quite alarmed with her behavior and asked her if she had drank or used any drugs because her behavior was scaring me. She kept on crying saying that she didn't and that she felt so sad and then hugged me saying that she was sorry. I finally calmed her down enough to talk to her. She told me that she forgot to take her bedtime meds as well as her morning ones and that her stomach was hurting sooo much and she wasn't feeling well. She then started sobbing again saying that she was sooo sorry and how sad she was feeling saying this over and over again. I asked her if she felt suicidal or as if she was going to hurt herself. She said no. She went on to say how she didn't get any sleep all night long, that she was up trying to get her contact out of her eye even after her friend and the mom told her that it wasn't in there but that she couldn't sleep because she was afraid that it was.

I told her that we needed to get her some rest and that this was probably due to her not taking her meds and not having any sleep and that we needed to get caught up with both ASAP. I told her that I had to drug test her just to be sure and that she was going to take her meds, have something light to eat and then get some sleep. She tested negative and when she finally calmed down she mentioned that she was feeling all shaky and feeling almost 'psychotic' (her words). I tucked her into bed after she took her meds & she has been sleeping ever since.

Can this all happen from missing two doses of her meds and no sleep??? I was really quite shocked how quickly things got bad. And I am afraid to see how they are going to be the rest of the week. Will missing two doses of meds cause her to have stomach problems and so much depression and anxiety coming on so quickly???

Anyway....I will keep you all posted. Also....Erin has a big exam tomorrow in English on one of her books (The Crucible) which she barely even studied for. I am presently looking at the Sparknotes to see if I can help her prepare for it since I am not familiar with the book.

Well thanks for making it through another lengthy post. I was just so surprised at how quickly things went downhill and wondering if there is anything else I should do....I was almost going to bring her to the hospital but she begged me not to. This all threw me for a loop....I told Erin that no more sleepovers. She can stay later and I will pick her up but she is better off in her own bed. Surprisingly, she agreed.

Thanks everybody.....I knew that I could come here to this wonderful place.

((((HUGS)))) ~ Goody

Last edited by goody2shuz; 09-30-2007 at 04:53 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2007, 05:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

langlee HB User
Re: A Small Setback......

Hi Goody,

Welcome back! You were missed!

I do think that missing the meds and no sleep might have caused Erin's setback. I have been shocked to see the difference in Zac (in a good way) now that he has not missed one dose of meds.

Please let us know how she is doing this week.

Love,

Hope

Old 09-30-2007, 05:54 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

tsohl HB User

Jules,
How's your son doing today??

Goody~

I agree with Jules. It is a small baby step backward -- just a little bump in the road.

She may have been drinking, or maybe she was just feeling sick from lack of sleep and lack of meds. I can't answer you because our son has missed exactly one dose since he began taking his meds. He is so careful about it, much better than I am with my prescribed meds!!

Once when I was taking effexor once/day I forgot. I was traveling in Vermont and I forgot one dosage. I usually took it in the morning. By the evening of the day I forgot, I thought I needed to go to the ER, I felt that ill. I didn't know if I was about to have a stroke, a heart attack or what...but I really felt sick. Given the amount Erin takes, I bet it is likely that it could make her that sick that quickly.

Hopefully she'll wake up tomorrow and feel well enough to go to school. If not, keep her home. She can always make up the test.

ta ta for now,
xxTsohl

Last edited by moderator2; 09-30-2007 at 07:43 PM.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Paige1989 HB User

I can understand this bout. Yes, it can onset that quickly and the stomachache may just be a side effect of the depression plus the shock of not having the medications in her system because most meds you don't stop 'cold turkey' because of side effects so it probably was the shock to her system....And any time I miss two doses in a row of my 'cocktail,' my entire day gets screwed up. Add no sleep into the mix and I can't function...I used to be able to function on very little sleep, but it was with severe moodswings and instability. >.< She should be able to get back on track within a couple days. As for the Crucible, that's an excellent play. ^_^ I read it as a Junior as well. And Sparknotes can do her well. As much as teachers say they aren't good reviews, they really are if used correctly (i.e. having read the book and not using it just to get by)...I hope Erin feels better in the morning.

~~Paige
1mg. Klonopin
0.5-1mg. Ativan
I'm not crazy ~ I'm mentally interesting!

Old 09-30-2007, 07:39 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

goody, I was wondering if you knew anything about a neuropsycologist in Massapequa that offers the brain mapping and if it was the one that Kait had done? If you did some searching ,you will find him? Im very interested in it....

Old 09-30-2007, 07:46 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

ts, hes ok i mean hes not right, i dont know how to describe it really. Hes being very difficult, twisting every word i say into something else, blaming me for his anxiety and he has been telling me he feels like hes is going to have some kind of fullblown panic attatck. hes full of anger and rage again, he is spending all his pay in one day than tells me he cant pay his bills. Honestly he is making my husband and i feel like we want to run far away.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:53 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Well after about 5 hours of sleep Erin was somewhat better. Her eyes are quite swollen and she looked wiped out....I made her something to eat and we went through the Crucible together.....her sharing her knowledge of what she read in addition to what we went over with the Sparknotes. She took an on-line quiz and managed to get a 94&#37; so I am hoping that she will do well on the exam. We worked together for about 3 hours and she took her evening meds a little bit later since she took her morning ones around 3pm. Hopefully with a good night's sleep as well as getting back on her meds will have her back on track within a few days.

Thanks, Hope for your support....I agree that Erin not taking her meds in tandem with a poor night's sleep was cause for her symptoms. Paige, as I said, when I read your thread today it only made me more aware of how quickly things can change when the meds are not taken and there isn't enough sleep. Tsohl thanks for chiming in too....I feel better about things and am hoping that Erin will be okay tomorrow in school.

I think that Erin in her own way realized for herself how she cannot partake of certain events such as sleepovers. We spoke a little about why I do have my concerns about her going away to college and how college life can really affect her overall stability. I know that we will address this some more over the next few years but didn't want to go into it today since she was so tired. I just wanted to take away any anxiety she would feel about her exam tomorrow by helping her prepare for it.

Anyway....I slept alot today trying to get over a virus of some sort. So my sleep schedule is somewhat off.

Jules, I left a response for you on your thread feeling I could better address it there.

Love to all ~ Goody

Last edited by goody2shuz; 09-30-2007 at 09:54 PM.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:26 AM   #8
(female)

fineanddandy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by goody2shuz View Post
: Will missing two doses of meds cause her to have stomach problems and so much depression and anxiety coming on so quickly???
YES! I know from experience that missing doses of Seroquel will definitely do this.

Maybe you can take this chance to emphasize to Erin that she felt as bad as she did because she didn't take her meds. Make sure she "gets" the connection. That way, she'll be less likely to let this happen again.

Glad you're back, goody - missed ya!

Old 10-01-2007, 05:31 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Thanks, F&D!!! You really eased my mind. And I did go over with Erin how this is a great learning experience to show her just how important it is for her to stay on top of her meds. I am grateful that these little learning mistakes are happening while at home....I can't imagine how she would have been able to handle this while away at college!!! I am hoping that by that time we will be past all of this but I am sure that there will be other things to work through in preparation for that. It really was scarey for me and I can't even imagine how much it was for her.

The thing is, she was able to hold it together while out with her BF and even walk in the door and get past hubby but didn't let it out until she got to me. I told her that next time she forgot to take her meds and had so little sleep that she should KNOW how important it is to get home to take her meds and get some sleep before doing anything else. She was just too afraid to disappoint her BF and she didn't have her meds with her. When I asked how the time out with her BF was she said that she just didn't have the energy to shop and her BF would go into the store to get her something while she sat in the car. We went over how she could have suggested they cancel their plans and do it at another time when she was feeling better.

Erin got up this morning (hubby was in charge & I have yet to get a report) I will post more when I do....but by the signs of it (the smell of hairspray & perfume) I believe that things went okay.

Thanks again, F&D.....I am missed being here as well and am so glad to be back. Thanks for your kind words of support.

Love ~ Goody

Old 10-01-2007, 09:02 AM   #10
(female)

fineanddandy HB User

Ya know, Goody, if she is like me, she CAN'T sleep without the Seroquel. It just isn't going to happen. So, IMHO, she couldn't help the not sleeping part. What she has to focus on is remembering to take her meds with her next time. And, at 16, she may still need you to remind her.

I hope she is "fine and dandy" now!

Old 10-01-2007, 02:18 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Paige1989 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by goody2shuz View Post
I think that Erin in her own way realized for herself how she cannot partake of certain events such as sleepovers. We spoke a little about why I do have my concerns about her going away to college and how college life can really affect her overall stability. I know that we will address this some more over the next few years but didn't want to go into it today since she was so tired. I just wanted to take away any anxiety she would feel about her exam tomorrow by helping her prepare for it.
Yeah, the college thing is what my main concern is with applying and all. :S I'm looking specifically into colleges that have those "quiet" dorms - the no alcohol/drugs/etc. and have a sort of curfew - you can't be loud (i.e. music, television, etc.) after a certain hour. I think most colleges have it, but you might want to look into that...I hope Erin does well on her Crucible exam.

~~Paige
1mg. Klonopin
0.5-1mg. Ativan
I'm not crazy ~ I'm mentally interesting!

Old 10-01-2007, 02:31 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

tsohl HB User

Paige ,

Most colleges also have a "wellness" dorm (they call them different things depending on the school) where people sign a pledge that they will not use drugs or alcohol. They seek to maintain a healthy lifestyle, have quiet hours, etc. My daughter stayed in a quiet house all four years. You had to be quiet after a certain hour and they really stressed respecting others' rights. It was great!

She requested it frosh year and got put in the house that had the reputation as being the loudest, most obnoxious party house on campus. The first night on 3 different occasions some stranger knocked on her door and woke her up. Then at 4:30 the RA walked in. She was so drunk she thought it was her room. Daughter called me at the motel at 7 a.m. in tears. Needless to say, that morning at 8 a.m. I was in the student housing office demanding a change. I think she would have left school if she'd had to stay in the house. It was truly horrendous -- people wandering the halls with lit cigarettes, music blaring night and day. She got moved that day and was then happy for the remaining 4 years!!

Old 10-08-2007, 11:15 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

teresa2007 HB User

Oh Goody,
I just read your post! I just went thru the same thing.It was horrible!!!!!!!
I miss 2 days of meds I starting having terrible nightmares and a severe headache. Yesterday was the worst! I woke up and my son started crying b/c he wanted a different poptart and i went nuts!!!!! I grabbed the poptart and smashed it everywhere and started sobbing and then i couldnt go to church. I went to sleep until 4pm woke up and started crying and crying i couldnt stop. My husband went to work and i kept calling him and begging him to come home and my son had this project too do with making a poster and putting pictures of his family on it etc. he wanted to do it another way and i went nuts went up stairs and starting crying and calling my husband again.
My daughter starting finishing it and it went nuts and screamed at her b/c she messed it up. I called my mom crying and she brought me a new poster board.I redid it and later i so apologized to my daughter and told her that she did nothing wrong b/c she didnt and told her mommy missed her meds which was NOt a good thing to do and it made mommy mess up so yes to answer your question, missing your meds can mess you up quickly. I sure hope your daughter is doing alot better and even if it seems like your pestering your daughter to take her meds and not miss a dose please do it!!!! I told my husband to not let me do this again no matter how busy i get. It was awful and today i feel very dizzy and disoriented but im getting better as the day goes on. I hope this helps some. Love Tee

Old 10-08-2007, 06:41 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Dear Tee ~ Thanks for posting and sharing how quickly things will go bad from missing meds....I know that this must have been difficult for you to share because of how badly you must feel for the way things went between you and your kids. I think that you handled things well by explaining to your kids how not taking your medicine was why you were acting so badly. I know that it pains you to see things get to the point of your feeling this way but you have to remember that it is the BP and if there is a way for you to treat it you must so that you don't have to suffer through it and have to feel such shame and remorse afterwards. That is why you MUST do all that you can do to prevent these things from happening.....like taking your meds, seeing a pdoc, getting good sleep, eating right avoiding caffeine & sugars and doing all that you can do to avoid stressful situations.

I am happy to report that ERin is taking her meds and back to feeling well. I am sorry that I have been away....I have my parents in visiting for the week and we are very busy trying to spend some time together. So I am not able to check in as much as I usually do. I will be able to catch up more with things next week and will peek in here and there but just wanted to send some (((((HUGS))))) your way and thank you for your post.

Love you lots ~ Goody

Old 10-09-2007, 05:21 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

teresa2007 HB User

Goody,
I will write you over on my thread so i dont take over yours. Love Tee

Closed Thread