It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2007, 03:06 PM   #1
(female)

dcomella HB User
lithium

Does lithium stop working after taking it for 25 years?

Old 10-04-2007, 09:10 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

tsohl HB User
Re: lithium

Hello and welcome to the board,

Hopefully our resident wiseman, EYES will see your thread and post soon.. He has been stable on lithium for over 25 years....so I imagine he would tell you that it's still working for him.

I don't think anyone else on the board has been on lithium for more than a couple years, other than EYES...so you may not get too many responses.
But please keep posting with your comments and concerns.

xxTsohl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2007, 02:58 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

twoeyez HB Usertwoeyez HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsohl View Post
Hello and welcome to the board,

Hopefully our resident wiseman, EYES will see your thread and post soon.. He has been stable on lithium for over 25 years....so I imagine he would tell you that it's still working for him.

I don't think anyone else on the board has been on lithium for more than a couple years, other than EYES...so you may not get too many responses.
But please keep posting with your comments and concerns.

xxTsohl
dcomella :

Tsohl alluded that I am the "resident wiseman". Well I will only take that honor because I have been "wise" enough to take Lithium for 37 years.

It still works with me. I mave been stable now for almost the last 25 years.
The secret is......never cheat on your Lithium.

Carry On

Old 10-06-2007, 08:44 AM   #4
(female)

sophie2007 HB User

Eyes, I am so glad to have found your post! My doctor and I are trying to stablize my behavior and we are discussing me taking lithium but I live alone and have to work and am afriad of side effects that might cause me to react in a negative way while at work. My job is in healthcare and very stressfull. Did you experience side effects of anxiety or paranoid episodes in the beginnning?

I am 57 years old and now I know I have been bipolar and not depressed for the last 30 years. I was I was put on SSRI's several years ago. The SSRI's didn't control the euphoric manic type decision making but did sort of dull other emotions...never too happy, never too sad. I weaned off of them and recently my doc wanted me to try Wellbutrin before we did a complete bipolar study. The Wellbutrin made me zonkers!

I see the doc again on Thursday to discuss the lithium. Thanks in advance for any information you can share with me. Soph

Old 10-06-2007, 09:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

twoeyez HB Usertwoeyez HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie2007 View Post
Eyes, I am so glad to have found your post! My doctor and I are trying to stablize my behavior and we are discussing me taking lithium but I live alone and have to work and am afriad of side effects that might cause me to react in a negative way while at work. My job is in healthcare and very stressfull. Did you experience side effects of anxiety or paranoid episodes in the beginnning?.........

I see the doc again on Thursday to discuss the lithium. Thanks in advance for any information you can share with me. Soph
Soph :

Back in 1970 when I was one of the first to be treated with Lithium,no one knew of what the possible side effects would be. I just know that I had to trust my pdoc at the time. I would enchourge you to work with your pdoc and not be so overly concerned with side effects. Look,instead,for the postive effects that Lithium will bring. So many time we read about the nasty side effects and will not let the Lithium do it's own job

I will get back with you before Thur with some more information. Remember...we are never "to old" to start with Lithium

dcomella, I hope we are not "hige jacking" your thread....
just more positive imput on Lithium.

Carry On,

Old 10-06-2007, 09:36 AM   #6
(female)

sophie2007 HB User

dcomella, I apologize if I interrupted your thread. I was just sooooooo happy to have found someone else with recent lithium questions. Thank you for posting your question.

EYES, I started a thread called "Please share your Lithium side effects" if you want to respond on that one. Thank you for responding so fast. I'm in a lot of pain with this these days. Soph

Old 10-06-2007, 09:46 AM   #7
(female)

sophie2007 HB User

PS...EYES, I did my homework and researched a lot of your responses to other threads. Thank you so much for helping us. Sophie

Closed Thread