It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2007, 10:06 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User
A Little Bit of Good News!!!

Hey all....just wanted to share some good news with you. As many of you know we recently took our 19 year old daughter, Kait, to the AMEN clinic to have a full evaluation with SPECT Imaging done. Since she was around 14 we have had many problems with her behavior with alot of irritability, manipulation, lying, impulsivity with drinking and drug use more than the normal college student would be doing etc. Since our 16 year old daughter, Erin was diagnosed BP/ADD last year we KNEW that something was definitely up with Kait as well. Although her behavior didn't show definitive signs of depression or mania as Erin demonstrated, there was significant characteristics that made us intuitively certain that a underlying biological component was causing her "abnormal" behavior. We were more inclined to think that it was more ADD than BP and didn't want to waste any more time in finding out and so we took her to the AMEN clinic around 6 weeks ago where she was diagnosed with ADD type 6/mood disorder. The SPECT scan showed more evidence of ADD but with the mood centers of the brain involved as well.

The treatment suggested by the pdoc there was to start Kait on Lamictal and see where she was once she reached a therapeutic dose. After that they suggested if she still was in that "stuck mode" and/or having problems with focusing and concentration that an ADD med be added such as the Daytrana patch which had less of a chance of being abused.

In speaking to Kait by phone there has been a subtle but clearly noticeable improvement. At 75mgs we noticed her calling more often to talk and the conversations were actually very pleasant whereas last year we only seemed to hear from her when she needed something and most of the time ended up in an argument or with her hanging up. But since being on the Lamictal she has called and actually asked how we are sharing the events of the day. AND....when conversing with her there has been less jumping from one subject to another and the conversation was much more focused and enjoyable rather than rushed with a mission in mind.

Big news came today after being on 100mgs of Lamictal for the past two weeks when Kait informed me that she had been to see a counselor on campus a week ago. She made an appointment all on her own to followup with a Nurse Practioner within the Behavioral Health center and gave her a copy of her report from the AMEN clinic. She went on to tell me that she shared her progress and told the NP that she was still having difficulty focusing and concentrating and thought that she may need an ADD med. The NP suggested that Kait up her Lamictal to 150mgs for two weeks since she believed that she needed to still reach a therapeutic level before adding another med. Kait is doing an internship and it will be quite sometime before she will be able to coordinate an appointment with the pdoc that sees Erin here at home. I figured that Kait would be due for another titration up on the Lamictal and was actually pleased with how the NP handled the entire situation. Kait and I spoke about my concerns about adding a stimulant before seeing how she was doing on the Lamictal and how carefully she needed to be monitored if another med, particularly a stimulant were added. I told her how easily she could be induced into a mania or psychosis if she were predisposed to BP and that if the Lamictal improved her symptoms it would be best not to add another med on. I shared with her how Erin's pdoc felt about treating the ADD and Kait actually listened and told me that the NP said the same thing. But she went on to say that she just knows that she needs something to help her focus and concentrate and that when she tried the Adderall last year on her own that it actually helped. I told her that we should give it time and that once the Lamictal was up at the right level that we would re-evaluate. Kait went on to tell me that she wanted to be honest and not lie to me, that she had tried a small dose of Adderall the other day and she felt it really helped her. She promised me that after talking to the NP and me that she understood how using Adderall without an okay from a doctor wasn't good and that she wouldn't take anymore. I went on to say that if the time came for her to take something that we would go with what the pdoc at the AMEN clinic suggested (the Daytrana Patch) and she agreed.

When I asked Kait how she felt she was doing on the Lamictal she agreed that there were changes such as her not having to go out every night in order to have fun. That she was able to stay home and take in a DVD or just sit and talk to friends. She said that she also was not into partying like she was last year and that she was hanging out with another girl who is carpooling with her to the internship and doesn't party like her other friends. That in itself was a big improvement. Kait went on to say that her friends have noticed like I did that she is less flighty in conversations and easier to understand. What impressed me the most was that she said that she would know for sure when she came home if things were better because that is where she had most of her problems. I was really shocked at the insight that she had. She said that she got Monday off and is going to come home Sunday for a night, possibly two. This will be her first time home since going back to college.

Erin is also doing well after a little setback over the weekend. She is back on track since missing a few doses of her meds and losing some sleep over the weekend. She got a 92% on that English test on a book they just finished reading, The Crucible, and she handed in an essay today and her teacher pulled her aside telling her that she did a wonderful job on it and that her writing is like a college students and how impressed he was with it. She told him that her mom had helped her a little bit (which I did but 98% of it was her work, I just pointed out some areas that could use some tweaking).

So....things are going pretty well in Goodyland. My greatest relief is seeing the improvement in Kait....of course I don't yet know if it is genuine but something in me tells me that it is. Time will tell.

I am debating whether to call the campus and talk with the NP but it would be better if Kait allowed me to conference in when they meet the next time in two weeks so that she doesn't feel as if I am going behind her back. Any thoughts on that??

Well, just wanted to share some good news. It's actually nice to be able to do so. Thanks for allowing me to share.

((((HUGS)))) ~ Goody

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2007, 04:03 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User
Re: A Little Bit of Good News!!!

goody. it all sounds good..dont call the np, it sounds like kait is handling things on her own.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:21 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Wend68 HB User

Hi Goody,

Thats great news about your girls, both now doing really well! You must be so proud of them. I agree, I wouldn't call the NP, seems like Kait is doing a good job by herself, as long as she keeps you updated on whats going on with the NP.

Your good news gives us all hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel!

wend x

Old 10-05-2007, 04:36 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dee-nah HB User

I don't think you should call either... Open communication is KEY and I think if you go behind her back or question her she may shut down...

Old 10-05-2007, 12:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Paige1989 HB User

That's great, Goody! I hope things continue to go well.

~~Paige
1mg. Klonopin
0.5-1mg. Ativan
I'm not crazy ~ I'm mentally interesting!

Last edited by Paige1989; 10-05-2007 at 12:05 PM.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

langlee HB User

Goody-

So glad to hear it! I know what you have been through with both Erin and Kait and I'm glad to hear they are both doing so well. I wouldn't call the np, either. I think Kait might interpret it that you didn't trust her and she seems to be trying to build trust again. Do you agree?

In any event, sounds like all is well all the way around in Goodyland - Kait, Erin, your brother - I'm so happy for you!

Hope

Old 10-05-2007, 02:02 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

tsohl HB User

Here, Here, I agree with everyone else. Please do not call the NP. I know it is really hard for you to not be involved in everything your girls do...but Kait needs to start managing her health on her own...and there will come a time when she'll be doing it on her own, without your input. That is what we're all striving for, right?

Cheers!

xxTsohl

Old 10-05-2007, 02:52 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

langlee HB User

Jules-

I saw you on this thread. How are you, my friend? How's your son?

Love,

Hope

Last edited by langlee; 10-05-2007 at 02:53 PM.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:30 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

tsohl HB User

Yeah, hi Jules !

You haven't been your usual chatty self lately! We miss you!!

Old 10-05-2007, 06:59 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

Hi, im here just had a pretty bad cold and sore throat all week..so i have been kinda out of it...My son is doing ok, better than last week..but you never know what the day brings. he is still seeing his therapist once a week,taking his small dose of topamax, zoloft and trazadone to sleep. He doesnt want to discuss new meds with me or anyone right now..so i have to let it go. One day at a time..thanks for thinking of me..

Old 10-05-2007, 08:43 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Thanks everybody for sharing in my joy of seeing things finally going well....it may not last forever but I will take these good days any old time. Seems as if life is finally getting back to some type of normalcy or at least as close as it can be!!

My brother arrived today and I hadn't seen him since May and talk about miracles!! He arrived and got out of his car and walked all straight and tall and gave me the biggest hug ever. Tears filled my eyes and I told him how wonderful it was to see him looking so well and amazingly he looked so much taller since it had been almost 8 months since he was able to walk on his own.

Erin came home from school and when he walked over to greet her she ran into his arms and just cried.

My parents arrived shortly after and then I got a call from Kait saying that she was on her way home...that she wanted to surprise me but was excited to let me know that she would be home. She arrived around an hour ago and is going to spend some time with us in the morning to a little after lunchtime and then head off to her friend's homecoming college game and festivities and return late tomorrow night.

She really looks good and it is great to have her home.

Well....I just wanted to give you a quick update. Jules, you take care of that cold....I am getting a cough myself and hope that it doesn't go into something else.

Love to all ~ Goody

Old 10-06-2007, 04:33 AM   #12
(female)

Tiger Cub HB User

Goody ,I'm so pleased for you that things are going well-you sure do deserve it!!

Best Wishes to you and your family

Tiger x

Old 10-06-2007, 05:56 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

twoeyez HB Usertwoeyez HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by goody2shuz View Post

My brother arrived today and I hadn't seen him since May and talk about miracles!! He arrived and got out of his car and walked all straight and tall and gave me the biggest hug ever. Tears filled my eyes and I told him how wonderful it was to see him looking so well and amazingly he looked so much taller since it had been almost 8 months since he was able to walk on his own...My parents arrived shortly after and then I got a call from Kait saying that she was on her way home...
Love to all ~ Goody
Goody :

Just not more than a number of months ago,we were posting on the "Death and Dying"thead about your brother's poor prognosis........well, all I have to say is you learned very well......the power from God.....and the concepts of .....FAITH & HOPE

Also the power of a very close Family. When the going got tough....the whole Family put Faith & Hope to work.

You deserve to have "Goody Days" the rest of you life

I'm on an extended trip. Mrs Eyes' parents are having a lot of health issures. There in Indiana,so we may not be back home in Florida until after Thankgiving. I'm picking up computer connection at all the Courtyards & Fairfields Inns with my laptop.

Will try to keep in tourch....So....

Carry On,

Old 10-06-2007, 05:57 AM   #14
(female)

Lor60 HB User

Goody,

I am so happy that things are going so well for your brother and your girls. There really is a light at the end of the tunnel. Enjoy your weekend and thank you for sharing with us so we can share in your joy!

Lor

Old 10-06-2007, 09:01 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Thanks Tiger, Jules, EYES and all ~ I agree that talking to the NP would not be a GREAT idea in regard to Kait. Spending time with her this weekend has been such a pleasure....I am not the only one noticing the changes in her. My parents have noticed a maturity and new ability to discuss plans and Kait's ability to understand and compromise rather than arguing or just going about trying to get her way. And she also spent more time sitting and spending time with family rather than constantly getting up and doing something else with lots of energy. It was less stressful for her and for us as her family.

EYES ~ Thanks for sharing in our joy regarding the wonderful miraculous breakthrough with my brother. Today it was such a joy to see him carry his 3 year around, set up a campfire, get sodas for everyone, and walk into a restaurant to have lunch with all of the family without any problems. There were 18 of us gathered around him today and we all raised our glasses toasting the miracle that stood before us. My cousin a few months back read a horoscope (she NEVER reads them) and it said that in that in the near future the entire family would gather to celebrate a miracle concerning a loved one who was very ill. At that time my brother had only days to live (according to Hospice). She went to visit him and handed him the horoscope telling him that she was certain that he would get better. At about the same time Erin had told me that she had a feeling that everything was going to be alright because "she had a dream that Uncle D. was walking again". She was so certain and at the time I was worried about how upset she would be if that didn't happen. When she saw him walking yesterday she hugged him sobbing and telling him how her dream had come true!!

As my cousin read in her horoscope we gathered together as a family to celebrate the miracle that was sitting before us!!

It's been so great spending this time together....he leaves tomorrow after breakfast but what a gift it has been for our family to be all together to see how family love and faith could bear witness to such a gift.

We truly are blessed to be able to see this and my brother said to all of us that "everyday is a miracle" and it really, truly is.

Gotta go but just wanted to give a quick update.

Love & (((HUGS))) ~ Goody

Closed Thread