It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2007, 10:25 PM   #1
(female)

Sunka HB User
Valerian Root

Hey, I've been reading some of these posts about supplements and I thought I'd mention Valerian root. My md recommended this to me a couple years ago when I was complaining that neither he nor my pdoc was prescribing anything for my anxiety disorder and hypomania problems. Valerian root is a cousin to valium; you brew it like a tea. There are two drawbacks, though...one is the price, it's kind of spendy. In my local food co-op it's 20 bux a pound (except you don't need a whole pound!!!) and the other is, well, the smell. It smells like feet. But on the positive side, it's very relaxing. For most people, anyhow. I tried it and it didn't have much of an effect on me but it sure put my BF in a zone - he just kind of melted into the couch. The best way to sweeten it is with stevia leaf, which is a natural sweetener; I tried table sugar and didn't like it, and I tried honey and didn't like that either. Just thought I'd throw this out there for anyone looking for supplements - my md wouldn't tell me about this if it interacted with anything like heart meds, psych meds, high blood pressure meds, pain meds, etc (I take all those LOL)....so enjoy....??

Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
If your taking Xanax, can you also take St John's wort or Valerian root Stoler99 Depression 2 06-24-2008 09:22 AM
Valerian Root kandr73 Addiction & Recovery 9 01-15-2008 10:34 AM
Valerian for Sleep Icculus23 Sleep Disorders 0 02-06-2007 08:45 AM
GABA vs Valerian Root DanielJohnson Anxiety 3 01-20-2006 02:59 PM
Nervous tension, does Valerian root help? What does? melanie in mary Alternative Medicine 8 07-02-2005 02:32 PM