It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2007, 11:11 AM   #1
(male)

ryan83 HB User
what kind of jobs work for people with bipolar?

Hi guys, I have been out of work for a year and a half after graduating college with a business degree (and unfortunately, I'm not a businessman.) I'm just trying to see what kind of jobs work for for people with bipolar.

I'd appreciate any input.

Last edited by moderator2; 11-16-2007 at 11:17 AM. Reason: changed because posts cannot be polls or surveys

Old 11-16-2007, 11:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
Re: what kind of jobs work for you guys and for people with bipolar?

Politics for one. Something is high power positions do well. That is if they keep themselves medicated. Those positions keep them moving and talking. So anything that keeps you moving....I would never see them as happy in an office or stuck behind a desk...a waste of energy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2007, 03:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
Re: what kind of jobs work for people with bipolar?

AnnD: What about for people that are Bipolar II like me where most of the time I am stuck at the negative depression end?

Old 11-16-2007, 03:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

I don't feel that politics would be good for me. I tend to be depressed instead of manic. I have wondered the same thing as far as jobs are concerned. I am unhappy doing what I do and need some advice.

Brian

Old 11-17-2007, 12:23 PM   #5
(female)

craziunique HB User

That is a good question!

I have been working for an attorney for 10 years as a paralegal. But it has that its moments. It's stressful! but as we all know that will create mania on us. I was working in one branch I got so bad I had to be transfer to another branch,, I couldnt take it anymore - less stress. But I still like the work I'm doing. Go Figure!

But I would suggest, try to get a job that makes you happy! Something positive, less triggers. You have to make yourself happy first!!

Unique

Old 11-17-2007, 08:18 PM   #6
(female)

shfiven252 HB User

I'm with craziunique on this one. There's no single type of job that would be great for all people with bp because we're all different. Politics would be TERRIBLE for me, personally, but great for somebody else. What you really need to do is take some time for introspection to think about what kinds of things you enjoy doing and what kinds of environments you enjoy being in, and go from there.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:38 PM   #7
(female)

kathryn00 HB User
what about at an animal boarding place?

vet, animal boarding, pet hotel, pet sitting?

Last edited by moderator2; 11-18-2007 at 04:46 PM.

Old 11-21-2007, 03:14 PM   #8
(female)

lyneya HB User

Hi everyone

I've found that reasonably challenging, flexible work that involves delivering presentations, negotiating, developing new projects and delivering training works for me. My employers have adapted my work to annual hours so that I can work more in the lighter months and less in the winter months during depressive episodes. I also work only afternoons on Monday and from home one day each week, mid week, to give me a break.

I'm a Funding and Development Manager in a third sector organisation and am lucky that my employers recognise the benefits of my disorder and focus on these whilst accomodating the negative aspects.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:53 PM   #9
(female)

veljul HB User

Hi,

I am 38 and I have been bipolar for 20 years or more (diagnosed at 18)and have realized that 9:00-5:00 does not work for me. I have up to a Ph.d and I teach, counsel, do consultation work, and I am about to start a nonprofit group.

The last time I worked for a University in March of 2007, the Human Resources office wanted me out and tried to lock me into 8:30-5:00 with 30 min. for lunch. As a counselor who worked with college students, it was just not good. Although I had been there for 10 years and 7 years within my last position, it was not until I had a breakdown in 2004 when a friend passed that the universities office of human resources really started to come down on my director about realling people in and limiting them to only 8:30-5. I could not even adjust my time to attend classes to finish my degree.

All said, I had to resign in March because I was having difficulties with other ailments outside of the bipolar. I have lupus and asthma as well as bipolar II.

I'm happy now. I am about to work with a holiday company for several weeks and I have taken on a position with Starbucks while I complete my proposal for my nonprofit agency for juvenille youth offenders. I have experience in running a non profit and many contacts who have agreed to come on board and help so it should be challenging, but rewarding. It will also use all of my gifts from God to help a group of people that really need it in my area of the U.S.

Hope that helps!!

All the best,
Veljul

Old 11-25-2007, 04:13 PM   #10
(female)

Elle360 HB User

Hi, I am bipoloar 2 and tend to be on the downside when my meds are doing the trick. I find it hard to stay consistently satisfied with my job -- but you know what? So do most people, bipolar or not. I am actually in the HR/Recruiting world and I advise people to think about what comes naturally, when does time seem to fly for you? When you are working on a computer, helping people, talking to people, planting flowers, tinkering with your car? In many cases, it is finding something you enjoy and seeing what career allows you to do that.

The second piece is finding a job with some flexibility. Mine allows me to work from home as often as I want. On days when I'm just not "up enough" I work from my bed with my PJs on and my phone and laptop beside me. When things are good, I have an office full of people that I enjoy being around (when I'm "ready for the world.")

It takes time though to find something you are good at/enjoy AND that has flexibility.

My job is very stressful and high pressure. Just know that no job or situation is perfect.

I also think being a temp is something you might want to consider. The pay isn't always great and often times the benefits are non existent or limited. BUT you can try out different types of jobs and you don't usually have to make a long-term commitment.

Years ago, I temped and it actually is what first led me into being a recruiter.

I hope you find a job that works well for your situation. The more "neutral" you are the easier it is to find the right line of work. Good luck.

Closed Thread