It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2008, 06:02 PM   #1
(female)

kindness HB User
Does this sound familiar?

Can you be bipolar if the depressive symptoms don't manifest untill late in life? If you display symptoms of hypomania most of your life but don't have depressive symptoms to occur at any frequency until about the age of 50? All of the symptoms of hypomania have been there all along but a recent episode of no sleep for 4 days ,severe agitatiion, crying, shaking and anger seem to have brought up the diagnosis of possible bipolar. does this sound familiar to anyone?

Old 01-28-2008, 09:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User
Re: Does this sound familiar?

Hi,

I really don't know, but if you're a woman (your name doesn't say), then you may need to get a thorough physical workup first. Menopause, or perimenopause, can cause these symptoms, too, as can thyroid.

I hope you find an answer; others here know more than I about this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2008, 08:59 AM   #3
(female)

FallenAngel2007 HB User

it most definently is possible. I was not diagnosed until age 36, and i have heard of others not being diagnosed until later in life. The problem with bipolar is that there are so many different ranges of severity of the illness, that often it goes undiagnosed or misdiagnosed for many many years. I was diagnosed with anxiety/depression and was under treatment/medication on and off for about 18 years. It wasn't until the illness progressed and my symptoms got worse that my primary care doc finally asked the right questions and a proper diagnosis was reached. I went to my doc wanting bloodwork done, check my hormone levels, thyroid, etc. As I had been having disturbances in my sleep, (going without sleep for 3-4 days) then sleeping non stop 20 hrs a day. Also suffering with hot flashes alot at night, etc. I had been bipolar 2 for years, just undiagnosed, and it wasn't til i got older and the illness progressed and i began to rapid cycle that they were able to put the patterns together.

Definently get bloodwork done to rule out any hormonal issues or other things, but keep an open mind. Good luck!

Angel

Old 01-29-2008, 03:52 PM   #4
(female)

kindness HB User

I am a man .The doctor did want to check my thyroid because he said that it could also be an issue and some people have BP also have thyroid conditions. My wife has Hashimotos so I know a little about that. I just recently had the episode I described and I am still real anxious and depressed . It is an awful feeling .I just want to find a doctor that can help me.The medicine I am on is Clonazepam .50 3 times a day and only helps some when I first take it. I am normally a type A personality and very hyper. I have some of the risk taking qualities I have read about on the board but all related to business.No drug use just a little wine at times but my doctor told me to stop so I did.

Closed Thread