It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2008, 01:36 AM   #1
(female)

lyn0910 HB User
Desperate - how long will Seroquel take to work?

I have switched from Sulpiride to Seroquel in the past month. I was gradually taken off Sulpiride and at the same time put on Seroquel over 5 weeks. I have increased the Seroquel to 450mg at night and 25mg during the day 3 weeks ago. I originally went up to 300mg over the period of 5 weeks. It started getting bad 3 weeks ago, when i completely stopped the Sulpiride. I feel tripped out, I can see trails of my hands and people look surreal and a bit threatening sometimes. I also feel stupid and dizzy. I have been off work for 2 weeks. How long does it usually take for Seroquel to kick in . My psychiatrist says i need to give it longer to work. Has anyone had surreal experiences or mild paranoia with it? Things look fuzzy and slightly sparkly too. My psych thinks it 's my BP1 bleeding through and that it should gradually go. I hate to think it's the medication that is causing the trippiness as I need to go on it as the previous ones I tried (Zyprexa, Sulpiride, Stelazine...) stopped my periods. Thanks!

Old 02-05-2008, 12:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User
Re: Desperate - how long will Seroquel take to work?

Hi Lyn and welcome to the forums!

I think, with all meds, they say you should give them a good month at a therapeutic dose before trying something else. That is when the benefits will likely be seen. But I don't know about those side effects that you have been experiencing. Sounds kinda scary with the vision problems. I was only on seroquel very breifly for sleep, so maybe others know more about it and the side effects that can come with it.

I hope that stuff goes away and that the seroquel starts working great for you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2008, 06:27 AM   #3
(female)

lyn0910 HB User

Thanks for your kind welcome!
I had a terrible night last night but feel better today. I think it might be starting to kick in , touch wood. My GP has said it's ok for me to use some Ativan for a few weeks to take the edge of the surreal visual disturbances and this definitely helps.

Cheers

Lyn

Old 02-06-2008, 03:30 PM   #4
(female)

erin7979 HB User

Hi, I take seraquil and haven't experienced visual or paranoid effects. It takes effect immediately (30 min.) It actually helps with my paranoia. But I did have to get reading glasses when my dose was too high. However, I tried a myriad of drugs before that and the one that gave me similar experiences to yours was the Topamax. It took 2 to 3 weeks to get established in my system and just as long to get out. I had terrible rage, hallucinations, audio hallucinations, loss of appetite, sensitivity to smells. It was hell. I hope that you feel better soon. I know how frustrating it is when you just want the doctors to have the answers and be able to fix it. But it's all so case by case with each person and each drug. Much luck and love...and good decisions.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:08 AM   #5
(female)

lyn0910 HB User

Hi

Thanks for this. I seem to be a bit better - the surreal visual disturbances aren't as bad as Tuesday. Did you gradually get better with the Topamax? I hear it is quite stimulating. How long were you on it for? Or did you get worse and have to come off it? I have upped the Seroquel to 450mg at night and 25mg during the day. Maybe it is starting to kick in and it's just my system taking a while to get into it as I was on the Sulpiride for 8 years. My hesitant theory, and I don't like to self-diagnose, is that they work on different receptors therefore might cause problems with my nervous system adjusting. what do you guys think?

Thanks again

Old 02-07-2008, 11:56 AM   #6
(female)

erin7979 HB User

Hi, I got better for a little bit, like a month and a half, then much much worse and had to go off of it. It took almist a month to stop having trippy vision and trouble eating and sleeping from the topamax. The seraquil is much more effective and gentle on me. Good luck, sweetie. Hang in there!

Old 02-09-2008, 04:40 AM   #7
(female)

lyn0910 HB User

Hey, thanks for your kind response. I still feel a bit trippy but better in myself and slightly less paranoid. I hope it improves! Thanks again and take care.

Closed Thread