It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2008, 10:47 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User
Finally had my pdoc appt and was prescribed Provigil

Anybody heard of this before? It is supposed to give me a kick in the energy department and my pdoc says has also been shown to help with depression. Well I do feel more perky already, so that is a good sign I guess.

My pdoc also wants me to do a partial hospitalization but I am not so sure what to do. If I do that it means giving up on school for this semester. I really don't want to do that, but am struggling with it and that stress is not helping my situation. What do you guys think?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2008, 11:02 AM   #2
(female)

sassy8 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Finally had my pdoc appt and was prescribed Provigil

I've heard of provigil, but not for bipolar. It's also used for people with ms fatique. If school isn't going well and your really stressed out. It might be better to do the hospital thing. Then do the semester in the summer or fall. You might be in a better state of mind. How are your grades? Make a list of pro's and con's and see what that looks like to you. hugs to you Sassy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2008, 06:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User
Re: Finally had my pdoc appt and was prescribed Provigil

Thanks sassy! That is a great idea to make a list of pros and cons. I did it and I think I'm going to at least try to stick it out a little longer with school before I make any rash decisions. I don't want to screw up this semester if I don't have to. I figure I'll give this new med a try to see if it helps. Maybe it will give me enough of a boost to be able to finish. I already feel a little better with it.

Can you believe I actually didn't take a nap today? I didn't fall asleep in class? I read in the library for an hour? I haven't been able to do any of that for weeks and weeks!!!

Old 02-25-2008, 11:21 AM   #4
(female)

sassy8 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Finally had my pdoc appt and was prescribed Provigil

Good for you Llama. I'm glad that your doing better. I just loved college when I went. I did get quite tired though. It was hard going to those 8 o'clock classes. I majored in early childhood education. I worked in that field until I had my own children. Then my bipolar went whacko! Your going to do fine. Just pace yourself. Get the amount of sleep you need. Take care Sassy

Old 02-25-2008, 07:10 PM   #5
(female)

steamrollhehe HB User
Re: Finally had my pdoc appt and was prescribed Provigil

Hey Llama,

I am really glad you are feeling better. I know how much it sucks to fall asleep in class and then to try to play catch up from not only all the days you miss from being ill, but also the days where you were sleeping and weren't paying attention.

I think the pro con list is a good idea, and I'm happy you did it. Weigh your options. How far into the semester are you? Do you think you can tough it out? Have you thought about final exams? Will they stress you out too much?

I don't know about you, but I've found that hospitals make short term fixes, not long term ones. They keep you safe, but don't really do anything for after you are safe but still not happy (or too happy). If you really think you need a hospitalization go for it, but don't go because you feel like you have to because your doc recommeded it.

Above all, do what you think you need to do.
Best of luck and let us know the dealio!
--steamroll

Closed Thread