It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2008, 08:04 AM   #1
(female)

harmony06 HB User
Unhappy obsessive thinking - bp ?

does anyone else have problems with obsessive thinking? is there any meds that helps to aleviate the problem? is it bp or ocd ? i have been diagnosed with both but my meds don't seem to help with the problem. i'm taking abilify, lamictal, and clonazapam.

by obsessive thinking, i mean that i'm constantly thinking of one particular thing that i can't get out of my mind. its something that i want to happen but know that it won't. but still i can't get rid of the thought. it won't go away no matter how hard i try not to think of it. this thought has been with me for a couple of years now.

please anyone, has this happened to yoiu and if so how did you deal with it. are there any meds that helped you or are you still dealing with it?

please help because its driving me crazy. what do i do?

thanks in advance for any advice you can give to me.

harmony

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2008, 01:09 PM   #2
(female)

Elf_Ears HB User
Re: obsessive thinking - bp ?

I have the same problem. I too pine for something, and it's very most likely NOT going to happen. Sometimes the obsession clouds special moments with my family or husband, and I hate that! (Like, "Oh, if only this -the obsession- had happened, this moment would be perfect.") I have low and high levels of this particular obsession, so during the low ones, I remind myself that I am present during special moments, and enjoying them very much, so don't forget that when the high level obsessing starts.

I get along best when I get distracted from it. But it always resurfaces. I used to obsess about random things, like a certain artist, or a book, or even jewelry. Then came this obsession with an occurence that I wanted - needed so badly. I've not really gotten successful help from either my tdoc or pdoc, though both have tried. It seems to be my cross to bear...

I've actually prayed about this a lot. And I know God wouldn't allow it, but for some greater purpose.

If possible, try to become absorbed in a productive or harmless hobby or activity. That's been my best way to deal with it. Also, having a large family to care for

I take lithium BTW, 900mg/day. It's my fave med so far...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2008, 03:00 PM   #3
(female)

fineanddandy HB User

Harmony - the obsessive thinking that you describe sounds more like OCD than bipolar. You might see if they can help on the OCD board.

Good luck!

Old 03-29-2008, 08:45 PM   #4
(female)

suzannecaroline HB User

I am BP and also have obsessive thinking, and the thoughts are usually very negative and make me depressed. The meds I currently take are not helping with this. I am going to bring this up to my doctor when I see him next because the reoccurring thoughts are unpleasant and interfere with work etc.

I do not think I am OCD nor have I ever been diagnosed with OCD, so I believe from all that I have read about BPD, there are many various types of behavior/thoughts/emotions that come along with the standard manic depressive disorder. For example, I suffer from anxiety, insomnia, and panic. Where my brother also BP does not have those symptoms. Everyone is different.

I know what you are talking about and when I speak to my doc next and get more info I will post.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:03 PM   #5
(female)

OliveOil25 HB User

I feel the same way. I too have very obsessive thoughts....and I also obsess about something I want to happen but know will never happen - among other obsessions. I will go for days at a time fixated on one obession, then go to another one (such as something I worry about), then back again...or sometimes just go back and forth between them. I feel like I never have peace of mind. I'm also currently taking Lamictal and (supposed to take) Abilify. I also take Xanax and find that it helps with the obsessive worry although it is just a temporary fix. I don't know if it's part of bipolar disorder or a co-occurring disorder.

Closed Thread