It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2008, 05:11 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User
Depakote=Good for mood, terrible for acid reflux

Hi all! I have been taking Depakote sprinkles for almost 3 weeks--only 250 mg a day because I'm sensitive to meds along with Effexor and Risperdal, also both low dosages. I've had a problem with acid reflux for the past couple of years and now it's almost like I have canker sores up the back of my throat and roof of my mouth and severe acid reflux. I plan to tell the doctor on Monday and want to lay low and only take 1 dose of the Depakote over the weekend--that is how bad my stomach hurts. Has anyone else had a problem with the Depakote? It's a shame--I was really getting my mood under control and now this. I just quit smoking 3 weeks ago and these meds are really helping me. I'm afraid if I go off the meds, I'll start smoking again from the agitation. If anyone else has a similar situation, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks so much--Hopeto--

Old 03-29-2008, 09:02 AM   #2
(female)

Omi2008 HB User
Re: Depakote=Good for mood, terrible for acid reflux

I've developed some bad acid relux myself from something. (Topomax, Geodon, Seroquel)
It hurt so badly last night. I really don't want to change the T. or G. however. I wonder what fixes the reflux.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2008, 12:40 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Hi Omi! I was up all night last night and took a zillion gas relief and antacid tablets. That only worked for an hour and I finally took some store brand acid reducer(ranitidine) at 5AM and got 3 hours sleep. I took more gas relief and antacid tablets at 8 AM and slept until 1 PM. This is a pain in the neck(or gut!) and I'm pinpointing this to Depakote and Risperdal. Granted, when I don't take the meds I go into crying jags, but I can't be on just Effexor alone either. A phone call is due to my doctor on Monday morning. I will keep with the low acid diet and the antacids just to keep me comfortable and sleeping a few hours at least. God bless you and I hope you feel better. Maybe my ritual would help you, too. Take care--Hopeto--

Old 03-29-2008, 05:15 PM   #4
(female)

Omi2008 HB User

I see my docs this week and I'm going to ask for something for the acid reflux. I really don't want to go off the Topomax as I need to lose weight. I've put on a ton of weight the past 3 years after 3 surgeries. However, I've had tummy/ulcer trouble before so the reflux sort of scares me. I only have Tums on hand. I remember being on Protonix or something after a GI bleed 6 years ago. (from Aleve.......I took it several times a day when I was a gym rat and it killed my tummy) You and I aren't on the same meds so we'll both have to find out which one is the culprit, I guess. I will check back here daily.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:20 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

cinemachick HB User

Now that you mention it, I was wondering why all of a sudden I was having severe problems. It occured about the same time that I started taking depakote.

I hope all goes well.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:05 AM   #6
(female)

Sunka HB User

Hi, something I've found that works extremely well for acid problems is "sucralfate"...I don't know what the trade-name is because I get generics. My particular dose is 1 gm tablet every 4 to 6 hrs (like before meals & before bedtime in particular). It works soooo much better than the Protonix I was taking. Good luck!

Closed Thread