It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2008, 06:56 PM   #1
(female)

cyclomaniac HB User
lamictal...what is it?

what is lamictal classified as? i thought it was an antidepressant but from what i have read on here there are some posts that say it isn't one.

i'd ask my doc but i don't have an appt for a few weeks, as i start the ramp up on lamictal, and it seems like a lot of people on here have experience with it so i figured i'd ask here.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Re: lamictal...what is it?

Lamictal is a type of anti-epileptic that can also be used as a mood stabilizer. It can be used to treat bipolar depression, but it's prescribed for bipolar disorder, since it primarily works as an anti-manic agent.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2008, 07:02 AM   #3
(female)

merrillschofield HB User

My understanding is that it is an anticonvolsant, but it is used for depression. I am finally at 100mg. I feel better. I think My pdoc will up the dose when I see her in 2 weeks. Good luck. Hope this helps

Old 04-01-2008, 06:08 PM   #4
(female)

cyclomaniac HB User

thanks for the replies guys! i appreciate it!

Old 04-01-2008, 08:57 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User

Just wanted to add that I think that lamictal is one of the best meds definitely as far as working great for a lot of people and also having next to no side effects. I hope it works great for you too. I have been on it for over a year and a half now.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:27 PM   #6
(male)

Bru023 HB User
Cool Re: lamictal...what is it?

lamictal is in the class of anticonvulsants used more for epilepsy but it is the only other FDA approved treatment for Bipolar 1 besides lithium . The best part about the drug is that it does not need to be monitored in the blood stream like
lithium and is not harsh on the liver like depakote (valporic acid), and from everthing ive heard it seems to work with alot of people , and it seems to be the best mood stablizer that also help alot with depression so im looking forward to trying it

Old 04-06-2008, 07:47 PM   #7
(female)

KissAmeGal HB User

it is an anticonvulsant, and is also used as a mood stabilizer. and i'll tell ya.......it works wonders for my son. he takes 200mg in the morning, and 50mg in the evening. big improvement!! he is also on 30mg of Abilify. it is something that you have to be careful with. it has to be increased slowly, it's not something to increase to see if it will make you feel better.

my daughter too is on it, for childhood epilepsy.

go figure, how one medication can work for 2 totally different conditions.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:04 PM   #8
(female)

linsuz1007 HB User

it is a wonderful medication & the only one that really worked for me. I never felt so good or so "normal" However!! The side effects listed in the package of a rash occuring that can result in hospitalization is true! Just be watchful.. I started with a small rash on my arm & couldn't figure out where it came from. It finally jogged my memory when both of my arms were covered with a horrid rash. Dr took me off of it asap. To my dismay once side effect have occured you can't try the med again. n Hope that it works for you. Try it.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:44 AM   #9
(female)

KarenRB53 HB User

Just wondering if anyone has been on Lamictal for over a year and if its still working for them. My doctor just put me on Lamictal. I've been on Prozac for many years and he thinks this combo will work well. I do have high anxiety though and hoping that the Lamictal will help with that as well as the depression. Also, has anyone been able to stay at a low dosage or does it have to get up to 100mg to help?

Old 04-08-2008, 02:00 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

KarenRB53,
I have been on 100 mg of Lamictal for about 2 1/2 years. I am not bipolar (I have Asperger's and OCD, and my doctor put me on Lamictal because he suspected that I might have been cyclothymic, which I'm not), but I take Lamictal for my Asperger's-related mood swings. It has helped me a great deal. I still am very, very moody, but the Lamictal has made my moods much more manageable, and I believe that it is still working for me. I've never heard anything about Lamictal being used for anxiety; it doesn't do anything for my anxiety. In fact, no medication that I've used in the past did anything for my anxiety. (Klonopin helps me with my panic attacks, but I only take that once in a blue moon, not daily.) However, everybody's different, and Lamictal may work very well for your anxiety, especially if your anxiety symptoms are largely in part brought on by your depressive episodes. Good luck with the Lamictal!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 04-08-2008, 04:14 PM   #11
(female)

alilunwell71 HB User

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I started Lamictal 3 years ago and I thank God I have it. What a difference my moods are so much more stable and less unpredictable. I have to say I was a little taken aback at how tired I was in the beginning but i definitely have adjusted and it's great to see things clearly again.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:58 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Hi,

The Lamictal does get me somewhat agitated sometimes, but I prefer that to the awful black hol of hte depression. I don't know about dosages - some get along fine on low dosages, others need more. I take 225, and am hoping to get off Luvos, which will mean a small increase in the Lamictal.

HOw long on Prozac? When I was taking that, I was very agitated, jittery all the time, anxious. It did help with agoraphobia and some of the panic attacks, but I wouldn't go back on it because of the speediness.

Work with the pdoc. You'll be fine, once this adjustment period is over. And give Lamictal a really good try.

Searturtle

Old 04-09-2008, 11:04 AM   #13
(female)

klyn07 HB User

My pdoc told me it was mainly used to target bipolar depression and was not highly effective against mania, that another med like Abilify would be used to help with mania and psychosis if needed. Lamicital was originally an anti seizure, like the others said, but it is very affective for BP.

Closed Thread