It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

sickofpain2 HB Usersickofpain2 HB User
Abilify 2mg starts today--anyone taken this before?

I seem my new pdoc today and 1st visit went pretty good. He listened to me and all of the issues I have had over last many years. MDD and GAD have been my diagonisis-- over 3 years ago. After talking to him and explaining some of the issues that still go on with moods, excessive thoughts, and med. side affects, he thinks I have Bi-polar 2 as well as the other disorders previously mentioned. I will go and re-read the sticky post on bp to learn more. He gave me samples of Abilify, 2mg to take at night. He wants me to stop Ambien cr--I said ok, no problem. He said any of these types of meds can cause side affects--what they are on this drug, dont know yet--but am going to look that up. My old pdoc never even suggested this--and looking back, I should have fired her early on--I really never cared for her--too arrogant for my liking.
anyway, if this drug helps, I may even be able to get off of xanax.
I'll come back later after reading more about bp2 and this new drug.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User
Re: Abilify 2mg starts today--anyone taken this B-4?

I am on abilify 30mg. I really think this is a good med. I don't have any side effects from it anymore (just some restlessness/anxiety before my body got used to it). I still think it makes me kind of tired sometimes though, but I am on provigil too and that really helps. But all in all I have had the best luck with this med. I hope it works ok for you too!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2008, 11:10 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sickofpain2 HB Usersickofpain2 HB User

Thank you for reply--Are you prone to side affects from medicines? That is my biggest concern with any new med. There are very few med's that I do not react to.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:47 PM   #4
(female)

cyclomaniac HB User

I have been taking 5mg of abilify for a few months now, ever since I was diagnosed...it's working great for me! It has worked wonders in taking away the mania/hypomania. I was recently increased to 10mg for about six weeks because I was having bad depression still, but I didn't notice a change. To address this, I just started taking Lamictal for the depression side of things (been on it a week now) and I am feeling wonderful in the past couple of days (not mania wonderful though, thank goodness :-). So, in short, Abilify was/is really helpful for controlling mania/hypomania in me, but not depression.

As far as Abilify side effects, the only thing that happened to me was getting HORRIBLE leg cramps. Apparently a serious side effect is getting muscle spasms, some of which can become permanent. So, apparently my leg muscles were spazzing out. However, my pdoc then prescribed a drug given for CP or MS or something, which has calmed down my muscles.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:49 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User

hello again, sickofpain. I would have to say that, no, I am not prone to side effects. I do experience them, but it does not seem to be nearly as extreme as others I have read about.

But try to keep in mind, if you do experience any side effects that they will probably/hoepfully go away within a month or month and a half or so. That is usually the amount of time that you should give a medication (at a therapuetic dose, of course) to begin to work and for side effects to wear off completely/or partially/or mostly.

Oh and I wanted to tell you that on a plus note that abilify has really helped my anxiety levels. I also had some anxiety, and it seems like you do too with your GAD, so I hope that the abilify alieviates your anxiety as well.

Keep us updated on how it is working for you and I will try to answer any more questions that you may have!

Old 04-03-2008, 03:31 PM   #6
(female)

steamrollhehe HB User

Hey Sickofpain,
I am on Abilify 20 mg and have been for almost 3 years and I love it. It calms me down, gets rid of my psychotic symptoms, and helps regulate my moods. The only side effect I had (and I only had it for about 2-3 weeks) was it made me fairly sleepy.

Good luck and I hope the Abilify works out for you,
--steamroll

Closed Thread