It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2008, 12:25 PM   #1
(female)

chrisz71 HB User
Bipolar and blackouts

I have been going through quite a tough time here understanding what's going on and I'm in the middle of switching pdocs right now,so,I don't actually have a full diagnosis right now other that Bipolar NOS.I experience blackouts quite frequently,especially with any alcohol.I know I shouldn't drink,but I just wanted a few social's.Blackout everytime.Then nightmares follow.

I always think I change during these blackouts and I have no control over what I do.It's quite confusing.It's almost like an impulsed feeling and I never know if any of this actually happens.It's always a possibility.Example:me leaving the house in the middle of the night,or while my husband is taking a shower running to the neighbor's house,etc.I'm too afraid to ask but my husband tells me it's impossible.It happens without alcohol,too.If I get into a situation and panic or have a lot of anxiety,I'll blackout.Won't remember a thing.Can anyone relate to this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sickofpain2 HB Usersickofpain2 HB User
Re: Bipolar and blackouts

I can relate to this. I was in a hyper state yesterday all the way through 2 am this morning and woke at 8:30 am ready to go again. Have the attitude I can not stop--I need to do this--get side tracked --do something else, ect.

I do have those moments, usually at night before bed. I think it may be med's I take, not sure. I seem to be so cloudy in my thinking during these times.
Another thing I deal with is neck and back issues--so when I get into these mania moments if you will, I ALWAYS find myself in severe pain and muscle spasms--like last night and today--my low back is not good.

Do you think some of the blackout moments are from medications? Non the less, this is scary, isn't it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2008, 05:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Hi,

Do you mean you lose consciousness, or just don't know what you're doing and can't remember what you did"

Alcohol alone can do this, believe me, and so can bipolar, so the combination is a sure bet for blackouts.

I would stop the alcohol entirely. There are lots of social things you can do without liquor. And get your meds regulated, too. These blackouts can be dangerous and ruin all our relationships, leaving us stranded with no life left.

Let us know how you're doing, and talk to you pdoc about the blackouts, please.

Seaturtle

Old 04-09-2008, 07:18 PM   #4
(female)

steamrollhehe HB User

Hi,

I am also, Bipolar NOS. But I also have added on ultra radian cycling. And I have black outs, or rather I used to. I don't drink, they just used to happen. One time I was perfectly fine then next thing I knew I was in my closet swallowing pills. I have no recollection of what happened in between. I wasn't suicidal, I just, well, I dunno what happened. Then I would have these episodes where I just zoned out and I lost huge chucks of time and I would have wisps of memories, but kinda like a dream that fades as the day goes on, and sometimes nothing. I just lost it all. I would be told that I sat and stared at the ceiling for a long time or acted like a complete lunatic or was myself, but I wouldn't remember any of it. Is this anything like what you are having?

My best to you,
-Steamroll

P.S.
I agree with Seaturtle, the drinking probably doesn't help.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:17 AM   #5
(female)

chrisz71 HB User

It's to where I can't remember what I've done.They are quite uncomfortable and it's aggravating that I can't even have a few with my husband at home.He has told me that during one of my blackouts,I changed right away.Like another side of me come out.Jekel and Hyde sort of.Is this common with Bipolar disorder?Because they happen without the alcohol,too.If it's a triggering moment,like a guy being too flirty,I get panicky and blackout.With alcohol,it just happens whenever.Kind of confusing for me and makes me afraid of leaving the house.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:28 AM   #6
(female)

chrisz71 HB User

Steamroll,yes,that's exactly what I do.Mine seems to start with anxiety at first,then I don't remember a thing.That's without the alcohol.I tend to blackout when I get really angry,too.Everything just goes blank,but I'm told I'm in a pure rage.I won't remember a thing I've said.I just react.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:58 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Chris,
Are you on meds? Because I know pretty much all psychiatric/psychotropic meds are absolutely not to be mixed with alcohol. Also, have you told your pdoc about these episodes? The reason I ask is that seizures can also happen in this fashion and many of the meds that we take for BP can cause seizures. I know most people think that a seizure means your body is jerking around uncontrollably but that's not always the case. There are "absence seizures" too, where you just kind of space out, and don't remember what your did or are doing. I would strongly advise that you not mix alcohol with your meds, and that you talk to your pdoc ASAP about what's happening.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:16 AM   #8
(female)

chrisz71 HB User

I'm not on meds right now.I had to quit taking my Trileptal,Topamax,and Invega because I wasn't sure which one I am allergic to.My skin has been itching bad,tongue swelled and numb.My hands and feet have been tingling,numb feeling also.I have an appt on April 29 with a new pdoc because I told my other pdoc about my blackouts and she wasn't too concerned.She wasn't concerned about my meds either.Long story on her and her background check isn't the greatest.I had been off of my meds for about 2 days before I had a few drinks.I was trying to be cautious not to mix them.Now I see that was a big no-no.It didn't mix too well with me.I use to not do this.I don't know what's happened and it seems that they just keep getting worse.Most of the day,I already feel as if I'm in some sort of mental fog.Things just don't register.I can talk with someone,but just don't seem to grasp a thing that they are saying.My mind is elsewhere.I'm like that quite a bit.Off in never-neverland and dazed out.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:36 PM   #9
(female)

steamrollhehe HB User

Hey again,

Mine just went away on their own. This is kinda branching off of what Kmit said. I had about a bazillion EEG's (the tests that test for seizures), sleep deprived, regular, 24 hour, ect. They all came up negative.

By accident the med I was on for Bipolar (Lamictal) was also an anti convulsant. That was about the time the black outs stopped. I don't think that was a coincidence. You might want to ask your doctor about a Bipolar med such as Lamictal (I love it) or Topomax (I'm on it and I like it but I've heard that lots of people have bad side effects) thats is also an anti convulsant. And you might want to run some EEGs. And please stop drinking.

Give it a try,
-steamroll

Old 04-11-2008, 10:25 AM   #10
(female)

chrisz71 HB User

Yeah, the Topamax gave me some side effects. Everything tasted awful.My doc probably will run some tests,and I think I may need to have my thyroid checked,too. Plus, I'm borderline anemic. Seems like I have tons against me. I've read that if your thyroid is off, you can have some pretty nasty effects from it.I guess I'm just tired of feeling this way and not knowing what it is. My other doc just wrote out a script and sent me out the door. I'm tired,depressed,keyed up, can't have a drink without a blackout, and tired of these dreams. They are quite disturbing. Enough to send me into panic mode.

<Use spaces between sentences and after commas. Not doing so is heard for readers, and on others which have to translate into other languages.>

Old 04-12-2008, 06:07 AM   #11
(female)

chrisz71 HB User

Well , I had another blackout last night . This time from stress . I don't remember a thing and I didn't drink a thing . I have certain things that trigger moments like this , too . Certain people that make me uncomfortable will lead to a blackout . My heart races , I start to sweat , then out goes the lights . I pray that this new doc will run the tests that I need . I woke up this morning with another panic attack and I was only able to sleep about 4 hours . My heart is racing too fast . Looks like no coffee this morning .

Closed Thread