It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2008, 01:58 PM   #1
(female)

vexworth HB User
Question How long does it take for Lamictal to completely clear out of your system?

BACKSTORY: Circumstances arose about a month and a half ago involving me getting no sleep for four days and having a bit of a psychotic episode due to the fact. The doctors assumed that I MUST be bipolar, and started me on Lamictal, which I got off of just three days ago because I got The Happy Rash of Joy - as well as the doctor was beginning to think it might've been sleep deprivation psychosis instead of a manic episode, as a lot of things didn't quite match up, and therefore I've not been put on anything else for the moment.

QUESTION: How long before I feel like myself again?! As one of the things that Lamictal did while I was on it was completely sap my creativity - to the point that I had to indefinitely pause the writing of a story I was working on because I just couldn't form ideas anymore - as well as shoot my short-term memory to all hell. I was only on 25 mg for about a month, but I'm now off . . . and don't feel any better or more intelligent for it. I'm a senior in high school - was getting all a's and b's . . . and was going to college and planning a splendid sort of life involving art and writing and various creative pursuits and - ANYWAY! - I ask you, have any of you been on Lamictal and gone off, and if so - how long does it take to/do you actually ever regain your former level of creativity and cognition?! I'm starting to fear that I may have been irreparably damaged by the stuff . . . but mood stabilisers DO eventually clear out of you and give you your neurons and such back, yes?

Only I'm getting a bit concerned, that's all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2008, 05:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User
Re: How long does it take for Lamictal to completely clear out of your system?

Hi,

Yes, it will be out of your system entirely. Your pharmacist will be able to tell you what the half-life is and how long it takes.

I'd ask him if I were you. As far as I know, there is no danger of permanent damage - could your difficulty with creativity be due to depresion?

Your pdoc is the one to ask on this one, and I hope you feel better really soon.

Seaturtle

Old 05-07-2008, 06:57 PM   #3
(female)

Schatje HB User

I'm on Lamictal right now and I've never had a problem with limited creativity, but I did have a problem with memory retrieval. I found this problem very distressing so my doc lowered my dosage by 50 mg a day. It took about 3 to 4 weeks to see the difference, but the memory retrieval problem was fixed by lowering my dosage. It may take less time for you to see a difference because you were on a lower dosage and have now stopped the drug completely. So yes, it did come back. I hope this helps even a little.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User

Well, my psychiatrist said that even after just 3 days off of lamictal that I had to restart my dose again at 25mg (due to the rash risk). So it must have a very short half-life if I only was off of it for 3 days and had to titrate up in dosage again. So, it must almost be out of your system completely.

Just a thought...maybe at least part of this is due to a placebo effect and from what you have read or heard about psych meds "making people zombies" or "losing their creative spark." I am by no means trying to put you down...I'm sure you know of the incredible power of influence and suggestion. This could very well be the case.

Closed Thread