It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2008, 06:37 PM   #1
(female)

reyrey71 HB User
Newly Diagnoised + med

Hi all,

I was just diagnoised with BP other day. I was given a two meds abilify and lamictal. I am really scared to take them as I been through so many different meds with my anxiety/depression with really bad side effects and I have become somewhat pill phobic - I want to try these meds but its the side effects i can not tolerate and i wind up stopping them. It's been awhile since I have taking any meds outside of my klonapin and just want to see what other people have gone through side effect wise. I want to try and get my moods and anxiety in check once and for all but pills scare me

Old 05-15-2008, 08:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User
Re: Newly Diagnoised + med

These are actually the exact meds that I am on. I have been on abilify since nov. (although I am weaning off of it) and I have been on lamictal for maybe almost 2 years now I suppose! The meds really can help if you give them a chance. I know it is scary to try new ones, but if you never give them a chance you will never know if they could have helped or not. Take care and keep us updated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2008, 09:05 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

santos63 HB User

I'm a pill phob too, for the same reason...side effects. I told my psychiatrist how afraid I am and he started slow and low, and we go from there. He is wonderful at changing whenever I need, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet and at least give it a shot. What's the alternative?

Old 05-16-2008, 12:37 PM   #4
(female)

reyrey71 HB User

I am trying to muster up the courage to take these pills. I know I have to or I dont get better I understand that. And if I do take these pills will this help with my panic/anxiety disorder or do I need seperate meds for that? I just don't want to be on alot of meds. Another question I have did anyone gain weight while taking this combo? My doc said it didn't cause any weight like lithium or depakote (sp?)

Old 05-16-2008, 06:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Hi,

Lamictal is the ONLY med. I'ave ever taken that didn't really give me side effects. I don't know about the Abilify. I was scared to take anything for years and years, and looking back, I suffered so much because I wouldn't take meds.

Lamictal is started at very low doses, and I doubt you will even notice it, except for perhaps an increase in energy.

Whenever I start a drug, my pdoc takes the tiniest dosage we can find, then has me start at every other day for a couple of weeks, then increase very slowly. That way, I don't get into the side effects.

As for anxiety condition, well, I have huge anxiety problems, including agoraphobia, and I wouldn't be able to even leave my apartment without meds. Mine help incredibly with anxiety and depression both. I don't feel supergood anyway, still have these things, but oh so much, much better. And I can function, thank heaven.

Give them a try, maybe one at a time? Keep in touch with your pdoc closely, and don't end up reading the list of all possible side effects before you take the drug (I always did, and came down with every one of them, lol).

Being scared of meds, I think, it just another part of the anxiety disorder. We fear the pills that will take our fear away, how odd, isn't it?

Keep posting, let us know.

Seaturt;e

Old 05-17-2008, 08:42 AM   #6
(female)

always smiling HB User

I've been on and off alot of meds. I take Abilify and Lamictal also. I also take Topamax. This combo works wonders for me. The Lamicatal and Abilify seem to have given me fewer side effects than the other meds I've tried.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:22 PM   #7
(female)

lthomas HB User

I was diagnoses with Bipolar in 1990. I was on several different meds until Lamictal was approved for treatment. It has no adverse side effects other than the black rash which is an allergic reaction and Lamictal must be stopped immediately.

I started taking Lamictal in 2003 and have been stable the entire time and the dosage has remained the same. I feel good, or should I say "normal" and would never think of missing my med. Those highs are great but those lows are worse.

I even have a prescription for 5 day supply in my wallet in case I leave my pills at home. Of course it would be an emergency if I ever had to have it filled...$$$.

Gymnastics is fun at 18 but not at 40.

Last edited by lthomas; 05-19-2008 at 03:29 PM.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:20 PM   #8
(female)

reyrey71 HB User

Well i think I am going to give these meds a try. I have heard good things from everyone Now I just need to do it hehe. I plan on starting it later this week when my room-mate is home that way I am not alone if I do get any side effects. Weird it's like I fear the side effects so badly that I work myself into a panic attacks it's like I am avoiding getting better if that makes sense..?

I really do hope these meds help me. I can't deal with these up's and downs. Nor can the people around me Did anyone have to get a blood test prior taking these meds? Cuz nurse practioner who gave me these said I need to have one done.

Rey

Old 05-18-2008, 06:29 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User

Just a guess here, but they probably want to give you a blood test to check your thyroid to make sure that it is functioning properly. I know that I had to have that done, in fact I had to have it done prior to being diagnosed even!

Old 05-19-2008, 07:30 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

The doc just wants baseline blood levels to have something to compare when he checks again later in your med management. Nothing to be concerned about.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:31 PM   #11
(female)

lthomas HB User

I had blood levels taken when I was on lithium but not for Lamictal.

Gymnastics is fun at 18 but not at 40.

Closed Thread