It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2008, 07:15 AM   #1
(male)

JAKE9364 HB User
Bipolar and sleep

I have been diganosed as Bipolar and ADHD, I am 60 years old, Dr. thinks I have been all my life, my parents were as well as my sister, and then my 3 kids also. NOW, I have been doing this all my life and I am not sure if it is a symptom of Bipolar, when I was a kid, I used to get to school so early that the janitor was not even there yet to open up the school, same with everything else in my life, High school, jobs, I would arive hours early.

Now I am on Adderall XR, now I start work at 5AM, but I get to my office at
around midnight to 1AM....! My wife is ready to divorce me after 30 years of this, is this part of the symptoms of Bipolar/Adderall?

Old 06-02-2008, 02:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CarenR HB User
Re: Bipolar and sleep

hi.. no it is not one of the symthoms that I had heard of......... could be anxiety related that you want to be sure that you arent late as this would make you feel bad. so instead you get there early..

I go early to appointments. but like30 mins early.... Mine is anxiety related
Caren...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2008, 06:44 PM   #3
(male)

education_story HB User

My daughter is obsessive-compulsive and she does similar things. My therapist says that Obsessive-compulsive disorder is a common outcropping of bipolar disorder. She also said it is an easy problem to treat. I hope you can solve the problem rather than having your wife divorce you! Get some rest!

Old 06-02-2008, 07:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User

Circadian rhythm disorders are common with bipolar. If I remember correctly, your's sounds like Advanced Sleep Phase Syndrome.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Hi,

I never heard of this being bp, either, and have heard of it being an OCD trait. Good news about this is that you may be able to alter your behavior with cognitive behavioral therapy.

Just IMHO, I'd say you might really benefit by working with a therapist to change this. If you cannot control it, then it's a problem, and not worth your marriage or your wife's or your discomfort.

Give it a shot, maybe?

<changed wording: don't pressume to know what works for others>

Old 06-03-2008, 06:24 AM   #6
(female)

lthomas HB User
Question Re: Bipolar and sleep

I understood that bipolar and ADHD are mutually exclusive. I think I would ask for a second opinion.

In my experience children with ADHA can usually be medically managed. It does sometimes take time to find the right meds and dosage. Adderall is one of the most popular meds. for ADHD because it has fewer side effects in children. Most meds. used to treat ADHD are stimulants. Some have had great success with management through diet.

One of my signs for beginning manic episode is 3 sleepless nights. It is not actually getting up early but waking in the middle of the night totally wide eyed and bushy tailed..then I go on a cleaning streak. Boy does my houselook good..Boy am I a train wreck waiting to happen. This is not something that happens all the time though.

Gymnastics is fun at 18 but not at 40.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:00 AM   #7
(female)

vanessa2318 HB User

I have never thought of the two being connected but when I am in a mania I do show up super early at places, such as work and appointments. I always thought it was out of anticipation. Usually when I am in a mania, I tend to run out of things to do and get so bored easily. But I use to do the same thing. If I couldn't sleep I always cleaned like crazy and then if I was done with nothing to do I would get ready for work even if it was 8 hours away. I don't know about the meds though, that is not one I have been on.

Closed Thread