It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2008, 11:01 AM   #1
(female)

ZombieBunny13 HB User
New member.. Having a slight problem.

I have been seeing a therapist since mid-February. Two sessions ago, she finally said that I show symptoms of depressive Bipolar disorder. (Type II, I think?) Our session yesterday, she said that she wants me to go see a psychiatrist and that prior to going, I should write out a list of symptoms, why I'm going, what I want to fix, ect. I've been trying to comprise a list and explanations and eveything all morning but it's proving very difficult for me. I'm one of those people that I find it kind of hard to just start listing things without questions.

deleted (do not ask for online info: do your own searches. Read the rules.)

I know that my new psychiatrist will probably give me things to fill out when I get my appointment, but I'd like to have a really good list made before I go as I tend to stutter when I talk to new people and it's harder for me to form coherent ideas. Thank you for your time!

Old 06-06-2008, 12:50 PM   #2
(female)

ZombieBunny13 HB User
Re: New member.. Having a slight problem.

Couldn't find anything useful online but my coworker offered to ask me questions. Worked out fine. Sorry for not reading rules thoroughly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2008, 04:27 PM   #3
(female)

lthomas HB User

I always try to describe how I feel and different feeling I have had..good or bad, and how I would like to feel. Try to think in terms of actions..running, jumping, weepy, dizzy, sleepy, laughing. Try to identify the times you feel the different ways..times, places, things you were doing when you felt that way. Be sure to talk about what you would like to change. Just be ready to explain feelings, not what you did about them.

Be ready to say the months of the year backward, spell your name backward or something that doesn't make sense to do. Once when I was asked if I could say the months of the year backwards I said "That's crazy, Why would I want to do that?" He said "For cognitive awareness." So then I said them. Just remember the "crazy" questions are just part of the intake session.

I found it really hard to be honest with my initial visit so it always took me a few visits to feel comfortable. They are used to that. That is why in the beginnig you will have several visits within a short time span.

I know it sounds like I changed pdoc a lot but actually I live in a small town and the pdocs just don't stay very long. I didn't change...they did..so I had to start over every time..for them..not for me. But I paid the bills!

Gymnastics is fun at 18 but not at 40.

Old 06-07-2008, 12:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

CarenR HB User

Make sure to ask.. what is the difference between Bipolar 1 and Bipolar 11? ........

Old 06-07-2008, 08:14 PM   #5
(female)

jessejames2448 HB User

Why would you want to do all that when in my head I couldn't possibly do those things? I would definitely have to write them down, and then I would get all stressed out over trying to figure out the answers, and with me being bipolar my whole life, and now I am 46 years old, I have found out in the past that it is not worth it in my life to bring unnecessary stress on myself, because it just makes me feel overwhelmed, and then, I usually go into an episode, and even after taking the 4 meds that I am on to help control my bipolar, like I said, it just isn't even worth it...trust me...I've lived with it all of my life, and there are things that I am very good at, but things that cause me to have any undue stress or pressure in my life, I have obviously found out are not good for my health or my body or how I am dealing with my bipolar that particular day, so I try to avoid all the stress and unnecessary pressure I can, just so I can be at my best for my husband, and the other people in my life that need me...

Closed Thread