It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2008, 05:31 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

kelly1986 HB User
which illness?? which problem?? which board?? help!!!

good morning everyone,

i have posted the past couple of days on the anxiety board but i am sooo confused...first as i was reading online about Abilify (spelled wrong previously i thought it was ambilify, sorry)...then i read the sticky here with bi-polar symptoms and i relate to so many of them...i just don't know how i could NOT be bi-polar. depression, bi-polar, anxiety, they are all so closely related it seems...how will i ever know what is truly going on with me...if any of you have time to read my posts on the anxiety board ( i don't know how to move them) i just need opinions and help...there have been so many helping with anxiety issues (thank you) but the racing thoughts and disassociation and mood swings...aaahhhhh i'm at my wits end....started abilify 3 days ago (added to pristiq, and buspar, amitriptyline and ambien)...anyway...i'm looking for a place to start ...

right now i have to get my feline to the Dr. i'll check back when i get home...thank you all for your time...
ps...my Dr. took me off work for 1 wk. i go back wed. and hope to have some ideas to talk more about diagnosis....love and prayers kel

Old 06-21-2008, 11:14 AM   #2
(male)

kelevra HB User
Re: which illness?? which problem?? which board?? help!!!

Im just starting in one spot for now, all the different meds and your docs havent told you anything for certain?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2008, 02:33 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

kelly1986 HB User

dear kelevra, thank you for asking. sometimes i feel like i'm just sort of floating around my world alone..these boards are really helping me to feel some sort of "grounding" even if i don't know where to go with it all yet!!

to help explain the meds alittle, i have actually battled depression for most of my life (since around 15) i'm 40..i self medicated with alcohol for 17 yrs.(10 yrs sober) anyway, i have been on MULTIPLE anitdepressants over the years, from prozac, to zoloft, effexor and most recently lexapro which worked for a few yrs.

2 yrs ago i developed a "female" problem which has led to moderate to severe daily pain and i think worsened the depression and i began having problems sleeping. so my GP started my on Hydrocodone (pain) and Ambien (sleep)
stayed on lexapro at that time.

was fairly level until april 08. i started a new job and my world of anxiety and depression and mood swings went CRAZY...i began to have uncontolled crying spells hysterical...back to Dr. changed my from lexapro to Pristiq, added amitriptyline to help not sleeping again. 1 month later worse...symptoms of "disassociation" like i hear my own voice when i talk and live rather surreal like i'm here but not at time...my memory is suffering which is new also...

wed. Dr. added Abilify. he actually said i may have had or am having a breakdown of sorts or he is questioning that i may be cycling bi-polar. i hope that explains some of the meds and lack of answers...i don't know ....i just want to feel half way normal again ....whatever that was?????? thanks for answering and asking ...kel

Old 06-21-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

kelly1986 HB User
Smile Re: which illness?? which problem?? which board?? help!!!

oh i forgot the buspar, my Dr. actually added that first, thinking maybe it was all anxiety.....guess not

Old 06-21-2008, 05:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Hi,

Seems like a lot of meds, especially if there's a question as to the diagnosis.

How about getting second opinion? Have you ever been diagnosed with bipolar?

We can't diagnose you here, we can support you in your search for wellness. Only a doctor can diagnose you, and if you're not satisfied with you present doc, then maybe it's time for a change.

Just IMHO, it sounds as though perhaps your doc is just treating symptoms wtihout knowing exactly what's wrong with you.

I find that self-diagnosis from information I find on the Internet is risky at best. So many psychiatric disorders share the same symptoms, and we tend to want to define our diagnosis by matching symptoms to the lists on the net. And bipolar is en vogue right now, too.

Keep us posted, but please do try to get definitive diagnosis from a professional.

I hope this helps.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:20 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

kelly1986 HB User

dear seaturtle,
it does help thank you...just sometimes i feel like i am GOING crazy...

my dr is a gp...what kind of Dr. should i look into for a second opinion or do i just ask my current Gp for a referral?? i do trust him with my life as i have explained a little before...he has been my dr. for 25 + yrs. so he does know my life and my situtation..... i guess he's just not sure whats going on with me right now...

praise God as least i'm not drinking!!!!!!

thanks for all your help and ideas!!! love and prayers kel

Old 06-22-2008, 06:46 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

kelly1986 HB User

hi everyone,

when i was around 20??? around 20 yrs ago. i was diagnosed (same dr as now) bipolar and was started on lithium. at the time however, i was drinking heavily (self medicating) and very uncompliant (sp?) with meds, advice, diagnosis, life in general...when i did take the lithium, i continued to drink and never had my levels drawn as i was supposed to...so i didn't even give treatment a chance..and finally just sank back into my own world of alcoholism and quit the meds all together...

my dr since then had thought that possibly he didn't know the extent of my alcohol abuse and rather when i showed up to him sober and manic he leaned toward the mental part of it all...

anyway now 10 yrs sober and battling depression daily...he thinks maybe something else is going on besides depression...

i hope that helps...my life is a long hx...but i am sober and alive and i will figure out how to live the best life i can...i guess its just a matter of trail and error and trusting that it will get better...

thanks again kel

Old 06-22-2008, 11:31 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

With all the mental meds and mental conditions that your GP has dx'd I can't believe you're not seeing a psychiatrist. I would definitely either get a referral for a psychiatrist from your GP, or just look one up in your area ASAP, GP's are really not able to deal with these types of problems.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:19 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

kelly1986 HB User

hi all,
i just woke up (the only time i'm not stressing or feeling strange is when i'm asleep) i wanted to check and see what you guys/girls had to say...

first of all the terms mental meds and mental disease creeps me out...like i have something terrible..(no offense taken at all not what i'm getting at) i just think that as long as i have just kept thinking that i'm just not dealing with the stress of this new job and life changes that maybe with a pill , i will calm down and it will go away...but....6 wks and 3 added pills later...i'm still in the fog i call my life. and i cannot live through many more days like this...and i cannot work...especially considering what i do...good lord

so when i call my insurance in the am...do i ask about a "psychiatrist" or "psycholosgist"?? will they take over prescribing from dr. W ?? i don't want him to be hurt ...i'll still go wed. and just tell him i'm going to a pdoc.?

you know as we have been talking..its bringing back some memories...

some of my life actually is a fog from the alcohol...but i do remember going to a psychiatrist here in our town...(because i saw his name in the phone book a bit ago) but i think he was just monitoring (or supposed to be if i had gone) my lithium use...does that sound right?

then i'm also worried (sorry i'm on a roll now) that when i get a 100% dx. the ways my life may change...i'm not even sure you can work in my field if you are dx. bi-polar, schizophrenic or others...and what will people think...theres just lots to think about...one step at a time i guess...i just need help right now and that i know for sure....thanks again

Old 06-22-2008, 06:51 PM   #10
(female)

kathryn00 HB User

psychiatrist.

you probably need a mood stabilizer (lithium, lamictal (also for depression)). you will probably see a difference just by using that.

an AD alone could make you manicky. with the abilify? may balance out better, don't know.

i do know that abilify is activating. could hype you up a bit.

try asking gp first about a psychiatrist. getting a good one is hit or miss. someone knowing one might(increased chance) turn out to be a better situation. yeah, try that first.

i sense that you are over-anxious about all this. like me, you want some answers now!

you are at the beginning so try to pace yourself. deep breaths!

for now, if he/she says "mood stabilizer" i personally would try to stick to lithium or lamictal. but talk to your psych. arm yourself with research. you do have a say in your treatment.

i hope things ease up for you!

have a sparkly day!

Old 06-22-2008, 07:51 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Hiya,

First, a psychiatrist is an M.D., so most insurances have to cover them. You should see an MD first about the meds.

Your job: if you're able to fulfill the requirements, it's illegal to fire you. And you don't have to tell anyone about your diagnosis, either.

Did you have the hallucinations before the meds - or after starting a particular one? Pain killers alone can cause them, as can many combinations of drugs.

Your doctor obviously cares about you and is trying his best to help you, but that's too many meds, seemingly added as patch-up jobs. A GP usually can handle a simple psychiatrist problem: insomnia, depression, anxiety, but you seem to have such much going on.

It is indeed impossible to tell what's your conditions(s) and what is the side effects and interactions of the medication. I'd suspect (if it were me) that the meds might cause a lot of it for you).

Your doctor won't be hurt. IT's his job to help you, and well, would you worry about him being hurt if you asked for a referral to an oncologist if you had cancer? It's wonderful that has earned such trust from you, and he will be your supporter.

My own GP will not prescribe anything further than a sleep med (temporary) and an antidepressant (short-term). Your doctor might be just a bit relieved to have you seeing an expert, too.

Please make an appointment with a psychiatrist and start on getting yourself properly medicated. I don't know what insurance you carry, but most cover at least a limited amount of counseling, too.

Are you still on the hydrocodin?

So glad you found this board and are reaching out for help! We're here for you on this journey.

Seaturtle

Old 06-23-2008, 06:45 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

kelly1986 HB User

good morning all, it was so nice to wake up to some support for a change...i appreciate it!!!

i'm calling for an appt. at a local clinic (i'm waiting on the "intake" dept to return my call) good thing i'm not suicidal or anything!! i've been trying to get ahold of them all dern morning....anyway its a step i'm ready to take...

yes i still take hydrocodone (norco) 4 times a day...it still doesn't completely cover the pain but i refuse to go to anything stronger with my addiction hx.

i have errands to run this morning, so i'll check back this afternoon and let u know what i find out...any more ideas or thoughts come to mind....let me know!!! thanks a bunch kelly

Old 06-23-2008, 07:49 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Hi, Kelly,

Glad you called for an appointment! Did you get one yet?

One thing I find helpful is to make a list of exactly what goes on with me to read to the doctor. Saves time, and I don't miss anything that way. Pehaps you could start taking notes now, chart yourself from day to day.

Yes, isn't it great to come here and find people actually understanding and responding to you? It's pulled me through some tough times.

Hoping to hear from you soon,

Seatuirtle

Old 06-27-2008, 03:47 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

kelly1986 HB User

hi everyone,

hope you are all well. i did get an appointment with a psychiatrist July 9. which i didn't think was too bad..i was thinking probably at least a month.

anyway since then i had some interesting info come about,...when i was at my GP wed. i suggested (well my best friend told me to ask) but either way...i suggested blood work because she (my friend ) has has thyroid problems...and she said that so many of my symptoms could be related to all of this....long story short...i just got a call from the nurse...my labs came back abnormal, some thyroid # is mine 5.627 normal range is 0.4-4.0....oh my ...and you would not believe the symptom match when i looked it up...fatigue, mood swings, clumsiness, dizziness, palpitations, sweating, nervousness...you name it..i've had it...

now...i'm not saying this is THE answer...i have always and will always battle depression, mood swings, and addiction but........maybe this will take some pressure off...too bad I HAD TO SUGGEST BLOOD WORK MYSELF...i swear ...

anyway, i'll keep you updated on my psych. eval...can't wait...i feel like i'm finally on the right track...thanks a million...love and prayers...kel

Old 06-27-2008, 07:53 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Hey,

Thyroid. Ugh. For 26 years, I was given Cytomel for a supposed hypothyroid condition that actually was just a normal slowing of metabolism because of food restriction.

It kept me in a constant state of panic and fear, mood swings, just hellish. Only after all that time did I find a doctor who said "Cytomel? What are you doing on that?"
He got me regulated on Synthroid, and it made such a difference.

Are they starting you on thyroid meds NOW? YOu're right, many of the symptoms interepreted as "mental illness" can be thyroid or other medical conditions.

I can't believe you had to actually ask for blood tests. You really should consider another doctor, seriously, no matter how fond you are of your present one.

See a psychiatrist for sure, and, if you can, an endocrinologist. The thyroid is the master gland of the body, and if that's, all kinds of other organs and systems are affected.

I'd say first priority is to treat the thyroid, and when you're normal there, go for the psychiatric treatment. But I also think hooking up with a thyroid man and psychiatrist will cover you.

Sorry this is happening to you. Despite their best intentions, doctors often just don't diagnose right. Not bad people, just perhaps in orver their heads

I'm glad you're on your way now. Keep us posted!

Closed Thread

Tags
abilify, ambien, effexor, lithium, xanax