It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2008, 10:39 PM   #1
(male)

Stoler99 HB UserStoler99 HB User
Recommendations for a good mood stabilizer.

Right now i'm taking Celexa for an anti depressant and Zyprexa for a mood stablizer.
But i notice Zyprexa is also meant for anti pschotic symptoms.
I get up and down moods, but i aint pschotic.
Whats a good mood stablizer thats just for being a mood stablizer without having any anti pschotic symptoms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2008, 06:09 PM   #2
(female)

Bunnylover HB User
Re: Recommendations for a good mood stabilizer.

I wouldn't get too caught up in labels, why change something that is working just because it can also help people with a different illness?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2008, 06:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Differs from person to person. For me, I have found Lamictal to be a wonder drug - mood stabilizer with definite anti-depressant qualities. And it doesn't cause weight gain; for me, it has had almost no side effects except a bit of agitation, and has almost entirely stopped the severe depressions and manic episodes, without making me feel drugged or interfering with my creativity.

With work with your p/doc, you'll find the right drug or cocktail of drugs. It takes some time to do that.

Seaturtle

Old 06-26-2008, 09:21 PM   #4
(female)

kevschick88 HB User

most all mood stabilizers are used for anti psychotic symptoms any way. But that doesn't mean you are psychotic. Lots of meds are used for diffferent things than what the person is using them for. example is depocote, tegretol can also be used as mood stabilizers, but they are truly for seizures. Even if the person doesn't have seizures they can still take the med.

I find that lamictal is a good mood stabilizer for me. Abilify is another one that is good, but it just wasn't for me.

good luck!

Old 06-26-2008, 10:37 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User

Hi stoler. There are many good mood stabilizers out there to ask your doc about. Some of them are: lithium, lamictal, tegretol, depakote, etc. Just bring up this discussion with your doc and ask about trying a different med if you don't want to take zyprexa.

Personally I am taking abilify (anti-psychotic), lamictal (mood stabilizer), and provigil (a stimulant). And sometimes I take klonopin for sleep or anxiety issues. Seems like a lot I know, but it seems to be doing the trick.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:42 PM   #6
(male)

thebiglebowski HB User

lithium, had similar symptoms, works very well. only side effect is getting thirsy and drinking more water. it's a salt, very concentrated salt, so it de hydrates u.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:12 PM   #7
(female)

skagirl88 HB User

Half the medications out there are used to treat more than one problem. I am also on an anti-psychotic and have no psychotic symptoms. If it works, don't question it.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:07 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

CarenR HB User

I take Zyprexa. and it treats so many things... even anxiety.. I wouldnt give it up...

Closed Thread