It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2008, 09:30 PM   #1
(female)

Derangea HB User
Major Depression/Skipping Lamictal?

Hello,

I've been on Lamictal (200 mg) for 3 years. I never miss it. Except this time my doctor took a week to call in my refill so I only got the refill today after 4 days without it, finally. Last week and this weekend I was having (and still am) having major depression and crying spells. I haven't been this bad in over 2 years. A lot of really dark thoughts, which I usually never have. Could my missed dose of Lamictal be the cause of this or could it be something else? I am also on Prozac 40mg/day, Klonopin 1.5mg/day, and 5 mg of Seroquel at bedtime. I really hope this is the case and once my system gets regulated again I start to feel the way I used to.

Some outside stresses include finding a new job (I hate the one I have now) and finding a new place to move to this August. Also having identity problems when it comes to my future. I know that these things are normal stresses but usually they wouldn't hit me this hard and on such a constant level. Any feedback I would really appreciate

Old 07-01-2008, 08:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User
Re: Major Depression/Skipping Lamictal?

Derangea,
I don't think those stresses are normal what so ever!!!! they are by far the most stressful things on a list of stresses.
finding a new job is the hightest on the list, and the second one is moving.Or is it the other way around?
I read somewhere years ago a list of things that are extremely stressful to the well being of a person.
those are the two top things that were on that list. I feel you will be stressed wether you're on medication or not.
I also feel it's definelty the reason for your jag crying and dangerous thoughts that are harmful to one self.
you should nofity your doctor immedialty about the symptoms you are having. this is a danger sign and should be notified to your dr. asap.
you hear of people harming themselves from coming off of certain medicaitons when it's stopped abruptly.
you stopped abruptley.
there were times when I would be very low on medicaiton and I wouldn't call a refill in till two or even 3 days later. I don't know why on earth I did this, but I did. I learned not to do that anymore, because when I did do it, my mind became very fuzzy and I felt like I was getting brain zaps and I found it difficult to even drive my car and hard to concentrate at what ever I was doing.
my therapist saw me like this and I told her why and she freaked out saying i must not EVER do that again because something very bad can happen to me.

for the past few weeks, I was missing my morning dose of the lamactial due to me having to run out of the house and do chores. by the time I'd remember to take my medication, it was already late in the hday and couldnt' take both. just by me missing a pill, and I'm supposed to take two a day, I was getting very sad feelings and for no reason.
that's when I discovered it was the lamictal I was missing to take.
we can't do that.
I am SO surprised that your dr didn't call the script in till four days later.
I'd go to another doctor if I were you.
somethings not right. Doctors know how harmful it is to stop med's abruptly.

please call your doctor.
you don't want anything bad to happen to you.

good luck,

Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2008, 03:40 PM   #3
(female)

Derangea HB User

Thank you so much lintek45. Yes I need a new Psych. It is almost ridiculous of lazy he is and how he comes off as just doing his job for a pay check. I knew that the first time I had a session with him and I should have known better. I'll get right on that. Thank you.

As far as other things go, the other day I was so fuzzy I drove up over a curb while I was parking and it put a big slash in my tire. That was pretty much my wakeup call that I need to get this fixed or else so worse most definitely would happen. Once my prescription was called in I got a voice mail from the nurse and all she said was "We got around to calling him your Lamictal prescription. Sorry about that." What the hell is that? I've been taking my Lamictal for 2 days now and I'm feeling a little bit better. Good enough to survive the day without any problems. My crying spells have stopped. And I'm very lucky to have such a supportive boyfriend. He ordered me a new tire so I didn't have to worry about it. And he's going help financially with the move. I'm still stressed but he is a blessing to me.

Thank you for your concern and if something goes wrong in my head again I am definitiley going to take your advice and go to the ER to get immediate help. Day to day life shouldn't be this difficult. Also, thanks for reinstating that moving and jobs are big stressers. I thought I was stressing over nothing but now I know I need to take care of myself during this process.

Thanks Again,
-D

Old 07-01-2008, 08:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Hello,

I had the exact same thing happen when I skipped one Lamictal dosage. The next day, I as a basket case, crying, desperate, helpless...into a major depression. I asked my pdoc if this could be just one Lamictal, and she said Oh definitely.
So you're not alone, and it is the medication.

As for your doctor, sounds like it's time to fire him. Not getting you your Rx on time is inexcusable. I hope you find another.

Your stressors are great...but I, for myself, find that if I skip the Lamictal, I just cannot cope with anything at all.

My pdoc gives me an Rx for a month or so, and sees me every 2 weeks when I'm having a med adjustment or change, or just when I'm in rough shape. And not once have I been without meds I needed.

I hope you find a way to deal with all those stressors, and glad you got your prescription.

Best,

Seaturtle

Closed Thread