It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2008, 03:33 AM   #1
(female)

Lauren1973 HB User
Listen to the doctors! (sorry kinda long)

Since I am both Bipolar II and ADD I was prescibed Lamictal and Adderall. Well, if you are Bipolar please don't skip the Lamictal and go straight for the feel good drugs like I did. Wowzers. Talk about a mood rollercoaster. I got high off just the regular dose and I was already manic and off my meds when I did this. The Adderall actually killed my happy little hypomanic high and made me "high" but in a bad way and then depressed! I ended up taking more Adderall because the feeling was just that bad coming off it. This of course, made it worse and I ended up in psych ward after just two days. I overdosed pretty bad. I could have died. I was vomiting and confused. My heart rate was abnormal. And the whole time I was in the ER I was dancing around and singing. Totally manic even when it wore off. I also got something like a Tourette's like tic, just saying random things and twitching. But I was totally oblivious unable to control it. They sent in a social worker, I could not even tell you what I said to her. For starters when I took this med I knew for the first time in a long time I was heading into mania. So this excerbated it.

I had been off Lamictal and my Luvox (though that was a horrible SSRI) for a month thinking they were making me fat and dull. I started working out 5 days a week. I had boundless energy. Very high sex drive. But not much real focus. Racing thoughts. Not sleeping much. Even a little paranoia. Looking back, it really wasn't too great. This happened all within 4 weeks. Now, I knew I really was what they said I was....Bipolar.

I neglected to tell my doctor any of this (that I was off meds) except the loss of focus. So doctor gave me Adderall too. Yikes. You HAVE TO BE ON A MOOD STABILIZER before you take this. ANd the doctor told me that's what made me flip out. I was unmedicated. I impulsively took more thinking it would make me feel better. I am off Adderall now and may not go back on it until I stablize. He also gave me low dose Prozac to deal with the depression it caused, but three days in psych ward (mainly sleeping) and tons of Ativan later I feel myself again. A little tiny bit manic, but much much better. The Ativan was the first thing to stop the mania and man did they dope me on it. 2mg every 6 hours. The nurses were saying, "you're no fun anymore." Haha. Though I do not take Ativan anymore. Too addictive. Just a hospital thing.

Mania can really trick you into thinking everything is okay. But in the back of my mind something told me, "I feel too good." This is not right. I had convinced myself I was charismatic, well liked, and gregarious, and I was. I was very social and making lots of friends. Type A personality all the way. I was meant for great things. But in this state you have no idea how to actually make it happen. At least, I didn't give myself a chance to when I took that speed without a mood stabilizer.

So just a warning to any of you taking this med combo. I have learned the hard way to take my meds the way I'm told! The consequences can be disasterous! I have made a commitment this time to do as they say. I finally admitted I am bipolar whether I like it or not.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2008, 02:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CarenR HB User
Re: Listen to the doctors! (sorry kinda long)

Welcome to the board,,,, thanks for sharing your story.......

Closed Thread