It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2008, 12:11 PM   #1
(female)

snowcloud HB User
Question med question

I've just recently moved to another state and am having a very difficult time finding a doctor who will see me. I will be returning soon for a visit to where I previously lived, and I will be seeing my doctor there.

My question is: Could anyone give me some ideas for bipolar meds with the least amount of side effects? The side effects that I absolutely will not tolerate are: extreme drowsiness, weight gain, and facial twitches.

Any help would be so appreciated! Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2008, 01:19 PM   #2
(female)

Luanne72 HB User
Re: med question

Hi snowcloud--

Not sure, but I think side effects vary with each person. Which meds have you taken?

I currently take 150mg of Lamictal daily. So far, I have very few side effects: occasional migraines, but they are not debilitating or anything. Sore throats every once in awhile (but could be other things). Lightheadness, especially in the afternoons, long after I've taken my dose in the morning. I know other people have other side effects that I don't have.

I have no drowsiness, weight gain, or facial twitches.

The only other med I was taking was Zoloft (for panic) but I have since stopped taking it b/c it made me more panicky combined with the Lamictal.

I hope you can find a doc in your new area, and that your current doc can help out in some way until you do find one.

Hope this helps.

Luanne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2008, 08:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Hi,

I couldn't agree more with Luanne. I take Lamictal, 250, and that enabled me to get off Luvox. I have almost no side effects, save some agitation, esp. at each increase, no weight gain (loss, for me, but I have an ED). and it has almost entirely stopped my migraines, which tortured me. I am less depressed than in my entire life, my moods are so much better and I am so much more stable.

I can't say enough for this med. That's just me, of course, but I'd really recommend you might give it a shot.

Let us know what you decide,

Seaturtle

Old 07-21-2008, 08:09 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Let's see, here's a list of what I'm on and what side effects I've noticed if any:

Lamictal 250mg, target 300mg in 11/2 weeks - agitation at onset of starting of med, but nothing now.

Seroquel 300mg - Does cause drowsiness, so I take it at bedtime. I have chronic insomnia, so it helps with that.

Zoloft 50mg - No side effects.

Neurontin 200mg - Drowsiness, once again causiness drowsiness, but I take this @ nightime to help me sleep so it doesn't bother me.

Topomax 100mg - Some hair loss, but Rogaine took care of that. I also use this for Cluster Migraines and Seizure Disorder.

I've never had weight gain with any of my meds, but I have other conditions that cause me to lose weight, so I can't vouch for that.

Good luck.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:04 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

dismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB User

Lamectial made me gain a ton of weight. I'm now taking Geodon and it has really helped taking the weight off.

Closed Thread