It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2008, 01:25 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

pinkpixies HB User
Best mood stabilizer?

What mood stabilizer do you find most helpful for you?

I need to try to convince my psych to prescribe something different. Right now, I'm taking 100 mg Neurontin three times a day...but it makes me REALLY dizzy and I pass out at times if I stand up too fast getting out of bed. I've been taking it for several months and the side effects aren't getting better.

I've tried Trilptal, Topamax, Geodon, Abilify...and a few other antipsychotics but I'm not sure if those were mood stabilizers as well. I can't take anything that will interfer with my birth control. And I really don't like antipsychotics... they seem to make things worse.

Any suggestions?

Old 07-15-2008, 10:13 AM   #2
(male)

Dbop HB User
Re: Best mood stabilizer?

Depakote (valproate semisodium) worked wonders for me. No side effects either.

I think its generally different strokes for different folks, but it would be a good one to try if others are not right for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2008, 03:02 PM   #3
(female)

Bunnylover HB User

What are your primary symptoms?

I'm asking because Lamictal has been a miracle drug for me, but it works best on depression, and that was my really big problem. If you have different primary problems, something else might be better for you.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:24 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

pinkpixies HB User

Well, up until early this year, I had very very bad highs and lows...more lows than highs though...now I feel fine mood wise, but I think it's the medication. I still have constant racing thoughts that never stop....and really bad anxiety.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:58 AM   #5
(female)

Bunnylover HB User

Obviously, talk to your doctor, but my symptoms were horrible, unrelenting depression, combined with racing thoughts at night, and anxiety (for about a decade prior to diagnosis). Not much typical hypo-mania. Anyway, what's worked well for me (although I'm still adjusting dosages), is Seroquel and Lamictal.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:14 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

pinkpixies HB User

I think I might ask about Lamictal...Seroquel made me suicidal >.<

Have you gained any weight on Lamictal?

BTW, I love your screen name I have two rabbits. hehe

Old 07-17-2008, 08:30 AM   #7
(female)

Bunnylover HB User

Nope, no weight gain on either drug. (I don't know if that's a known risk with Lamictal or not). Actually, really no side effects with Lamictal at all.

I have 2 bunnies two, one of them is a huge help and sits with me when I'm having a panic attack, I call her my therapy bunny.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:32 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

pinkpixies HB User

They are great animals...very loving. My Jellybean is constantly giving me kisses and follows me around every where. LOL I love my animals more than anything in the world...they're the one reason I keep going. They need me and I need them.

Closed Thread