It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2008, 08:14 AM   #1
(female)

Jarcat HB User
What should I tell my boss?

Hi,

I've been suffering with Bipolar 2 for quite some time now and my Dr. has decided to put me on medical leave for 6 months. I haven't given her the 'letter' yet that basically states that I will no longer be able to work due to medical reasons. I just don't know what to tell her. I really don't want to tell her I have bipolar disorder but I feel really funny just saying it's due to medical reasons. I just don't want her to think it's something life threatening or anything.

Could use some help.

Thanks

Cathy

Old 07-18-2008, 07:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User
Re: What should I tell my boss?

Hi,

If you are leaving for just 6 months, I'm sure she won't assume it's life-threatening. You're not required to state your specific condition, and saying you're leaving for some medical reasons you have to take care of is just fine. She should accept that without questioning you further. If she does, you might just calmly say that you prefer not to discuss the details, but assure her that's not a permanent disability that will stop you from working altogether.

I hope this helps a bit. You might consider contacting the people with the ADA and reading up on this, perhaps ask their advice.

Let us know what you decide. I think the more low-key and matter-of-fact you are, the better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2008, 12:06 PM   #3
(female)

Luanne72 HB User

Hi Jarcat--

I can sort of relate to your dilemma. I also have bipolar 2 (diagnosed about a year ago), and was unsure for a long time whether to tell my boss. Although I try and keep my moods stable there, I do pose a challenge for her (and probably everybody else) at times. I did finally disclose to her that I was diagnosed and she was very understanding about it and actually can now "get" why I am so moody.

I don't know your specific work situation, of course, but I agree with seaturtle. There is no need to disclose any of your info to your boss if you are not comfortable with it. That is your personal business, and I actually applaud you for wishing to keep it that way. I sometimes wish I had done the same, because when I do lash out, I feel pretty "exposed."

And, you know, bipolar IS medical. And you're helping yourself to take care of it. No harm or shame in that.

I will be interested to hear what happens.

Luanne

Old 07-22-2008, 01:17 PM   #4
(female)

Jarcat HB User

Hi guys,

Thank you for the replies. My husband actually went in for me on Monday morning and took the note in. He just told her that it was a personal medical problem and that I wont be back for 6 months. She was very good about it which surprised me because she's not the nicest person at times.

Thank you again!

Cathy

Closed Thread